Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:06:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Pies & Problems [Code Update #1]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pies & Problems [Code Update #1]  (Read 4196 times)
philnelson
Level 0

future doom

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »

UPDATES

10 Decmber 2009 - I've rewritten about 90% of the game thus far, twice, in an attempt to understand how to handle projectiles, impassable tiles, and speed. You guys, making games is hard. As it stands, Pies & Problems main.lua file is 437 lines long. I've stripped out some of my preliminary mock up stuff, like screen wipes and so forth. The options screen is present, but only thus far has the volume control.

I've finally split the baddies and player information out into multi-dimensional tables, like a big boy. Walls are now impassable. Arrows will fire, hir the wall, and stop.  I will, eventually, have to create a table for my wall sprites. This is why people create drag & drop tile mappers. Not me, though.

Next up: Baddie movement. Some variety of Astar pathfinding in LUA will be needed, here. Also, baddies will have to know which direction they last saw the player move.

ABSTRACT

Using Oryx's awesome sprite set, and  Stian Stark Retro SFX, with some odds and ends (credit will be provided as I go)

Man, you guys. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm going to try everything I can think of anyway.

PIES AND PROBLEMS is a rogue-like-ish adventure game, inspired by Monte Cook's "The World's Shortest (Yet Technically Complete) Adventure", The Orc and the Pie, Shiren the Wanderer, and Nethack.

The player starts on ground level, and must fight his way down in the dungeon, with one screen per floor, one baddie per floor, and one baked good per floor. The player's lust for these otherworldly pastries will eventually lead him to seek out it's source: an enchanted Oven of Yendor or something like that. He will then have to carry the oven back up through the dungeon, to the surface.

Time permitting there will be multiple weapons, armor, and silly hats. Because people love silly hats.

It is written in Love2d 0.5.0 for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. It may at some point use the LUBE library for networking stuff (leaderboards, etc).

SCREENSHOT(S):
6 December 2009 build

HOW TO RUN IT: Download and install Love2D, then drag the folder onto Love2d's icon.

Github code repository: http://github.com/philnelson/piesandproblems
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:52:51 AM by philnelson » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »

What a surprise! More oryx! Joy!  Wink
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »

Yay! Smiley
philnelson
Level 0

future doom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »

I haven't seen a more complete set of sprites for what I want to do, so. Oryx it is.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic