Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:28:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Mecha ARPG
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Mecha ARPG  (Read 10181 times)
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

Nice report feeble. The screen-space controls work well, I'm going to keep the turning up-top for now. It's not that different from how you did the truck actually.

These weapons are TOO FUN, but can be dangerous:

Before and after picture of a minefield after I shot a bunch of mines everywhere, lol. The player is curiously absent from the second photo... Oh I see him. There are a few pixels peeking out from that white thing near the top. Poor guy.

snellface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »

I really like this Smiley I hope you add weapon power ups Smiley
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »

Update:
Still don't have any levels worth playing, but I finally got around to adding more of the types of robot/enemy into the game. Any part classified as a "top" can be put on anything classified as a "bottom". As you can see, some of the combinations look a little weird. My favorite is the stationary turret and the legs (not pictured), lol. A close second are the humanoid tops with the car. (One of those can be seen).

In heading toward the missions, I created a very customizable spawn point. Each mission can have any number of these, and they have various triggers such as after a certain amount of time, when the player collides with it, or when a specific target is destroyed. Missions are all in a single text file which defines the map to load and where all the spawn points are. Besides the story-based missions I am planning, if it is easy enough to create them I am planning to really go crazy with various challenge missions and arena type deals. The story missions will be balanced, the challenge missions not so much Smiley

I was going to eventually take out the ability to see other bots targeting cursors, but after a lot of testing I really like being able to see where they are aiming. Still looks a little cluttered, I dunno. If I can't decide, it will be an option Smiley

Anyway, I'm going to have you collect weapons and powerups, and change them at repair stations. It will cost something to change equipment (money? experience points? change points, where each level has a certain amount you can spend? time?). Outside of the repair station, there will be some fixed amount of weapons you can switch between in realtime, as long as those weapons are all compatible with your mech's top. IE, the standard, double-gun, piloted top, might be able to fire double lasers, napalm, and cross-shot; and you will have to choose which two of those you want at once. As you go through the game you'll collect more and more weapons (and upgrades for existing weapons) giving you a larger aresenal to choose from!

Each top/bottom part of the mech will have different characteristics, turn speed, health, heat compensation, walking speed, etc.

That stuff is pretty close, but before I get to it I need to tweak the ai a bit and really lay down some levels! With luck I will get to those later tonight.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic