Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:19:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2SonnenmördeR :: a SHMUP in warp space,. .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: SonnenmördeR :: a SHMUP in warp space,. .  (Read 23906 times)
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 03:44:04 PM »

New version posted at the top,. added a cool new space foldeing warp feature press X,. (is this a novel feature? I can't recall having seen this in a shooter) increased the player speed just a tinny bit,. and shot rate. although now there is an experimental Gun Heat type limitation as well,. still testing this. Hope this aliveates that sluggish fealing some had. I find it fun to warp in and drop shots then warp out,. also pods are droped (9xkills) and can be collected (for more warps),. basic scoreing is added too, and a million other tweeks and tests.

Yay, a new version!

Warping is fun!  Saved me lots of times.  Heat management encourages me to do more than just hold down fire the whole time (as I do in many Shoot-em-ups).  Speed up is nice, can almost, but not quite, out run the lasers of enemy ships.  Neat scaling effect.  Lots of nice changes, makes the game even more fun (especially warping!)!

Lots of fun, neat features.  Looking forward to whatever cool features you are cooking up in the next release.   Grin

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »

Thanks for the report Tryum, that videcard seems wack,. what does that mac have?  I will release a mac and linux ver. when the current ZGE beta goes release,. I jsut don't have resources to support everything.

thanks BigLon i likes it too,. trying to balance that freedom with some limitations,. this is still very experimental proto stuff., so I will see what develops.

Orel,. good to hear from you, you got a pony in this show?  what is that vid-card? check that it suports FBO??  I suppose at some point i may add some options to turn off the shader/FBO effects but I like them, and that will require a bunch of work,. so we will see..,  peace.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:14 PM »

Awesome. I would love it if your own bullets would actually hit you, not just go straight through. Would be epic cool if hitting yourself with your own bullets rocketted you forwards and anything you touched died. Or maybe just hitting yourself kills you...  Shrug

Something about hitting yourself needs to be implemented.
Tryum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »

Thanks for the report Tryum, that videcard seems wack,. what does that mac have?  I will release a mac and linux ver. when the current ZGE beta goes release,. I jsut don't have resources to support everything.

An even worse one : intel GMA x3100 Tongue

But even if that's bad cards, I don't think that you push enough geometry to bring them down, ZGE must be doing something wrong I guess ... Ninja
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:51 AM »

I suppose at some point i may add some options to turn off the shader/FBO effects but I like them, and that will require a bunch of work,. so we will see..,  peace.

It'd nice to have that option if possible. The game seems to runs fin on my laptop with Intel GMA 900 graphics - it just doesn't have the trails and the sprites are a single colour (presumably just the vertex colors with no fragment shader), I also have a white square fixed in the middle of the screen.
Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »

For thoses who are not on windows, it's poorly playable under Wine for Mac OS X (prototype 2 is really unplayable).

Someone tried it under Linux ?

However, I tried the first prototype under Boot Camp and I love it !
A little bit too hard for me.

Please be friend of me.
MaloEspada
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

Ugh, it ran so slow here Sad
jph wacheski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:08 AM »

New proto posted at the top! 

This sould improve compatability, i.e. more ppl should be able to successfully run this.  The K key the (K)ill the FBO just shuts off the rendereing of it to the screen,. for those that saw it as a white poly in the middle of the screen.

If it was running too slowly this was likely due to it running full screen at whatever res you where set to,. you could just set you res. lower in proto 2,. but I added the res. setting dialoge to the begining. Give the new proto 3 a shot, and report if it works better,. thanks. Other wise it is likely that your vid-card does not suppor shaders like this in hardware and is trying to do it in software,. in that case you need a new vid-card  Outraged

Blaizer - ha,. that is a good idea,. in fact I had already thought of it. well actualy the warping itself is somthing i tryed a long time ago, in a Wizard of Wor remake I did,. and you could actually shoot - warp and be shot by your own missle!  having it be a bonus to the player is a great idea though, and I may try that,.  thanks! 

Link to the old WoW remake; http://iterationgames.com/wow_018.zip

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

This is a pretty interesting game.

I quite like the way the enemies behave- I really like this sort of gameplay, where different enemy types have different roles and they all interact in fun ways. There are lots of nice details, like the way enemies can't fire when below our ship. The combat also seems to scale well- it doesn't become a matter of luck as the number of enemies on screen increases. I died a lot in the demo, but I never felt like it was the fault of the game or dumb luck.

Visually, you're definitely good at paying attention to detail. I guess I'm not quite sold on the entire package yet, visually speaking, but it seems like it'll be much improved by the time you're done working on it. There are definitely some nice touches already. The effect for picking up powerups is fun, as is the space folding effect. I also like the explosions. One thing I don't like about the visuals is the way the super sharp, upscaled sprites look against the blurry trails they create. It looks a bit jarring to me. I've also always tended to be a bit disturbed by scaled and rotated sprites in general (especially when there are multiple scales of sprite on screen at the same time), but that's probably pretty subjective.

Oh, one thing I would suggest is adding some kind of pre-firing effect that shows that an enemy is about to attack, such a shrinking ring or a converging cloud of tiny particles. Alternatively, if you don't want to give advance warning, just a simple 'muzzle flash' effect as each projectile is fired would be nice.

This is really neat, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »

Absolutely no speed differences whatever configuration is used or if K key is pressed or not while running it under WineBottler 1.1.34.
Still really slow and unplayable.

Maybe this just can't be compatible with Wine, or maybe Wine needs to be "tricked".

Going to try it on Windows.

Please be friend of me.
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »

This looks to be three kinds of awesome, but I'm getting kind of a weird graphical bug:

Basically the trails aren't fading out.  This didn't happen with proto1, but does in both proto2 and proto3. It happens in both fullscreen and windowed mode.  I'm running Vista with an ATI Radeon HD 3200, if that helps.

EDIT: By the way, pressing K naturally prevents this from happening. I got 37,320 48370 GentlemanHand Joystick
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:42:21 PM by yokomeshi » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 07:55:34 PM »

Tried demo1 and demo3.
For me it went from the "very cool" category to the "too much particles mang" category.
Also: I don't like how enemies can warp from the top to the bottom of the screen.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »

New version posted at the top,. added a cool new space foldeing warp feature press X,. (is this a novel feature? I can't recall having seen this in a shooter)
Witch-bot Megilo has this feature as well. See: http://www.direct2drive.com/8043/product/Buy-Witch-bot-Meglilo-Download Trial download available at: http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/game/se467501.html Interesting how many great ideas are not unique.

It is a great feature, lots of fun, helps players escape other-wise 'inescapable' deaths.

Latest runs fine here.  Constant 59-60 fps (at least when I remember to check).  Running Windows XP SP3, 6000 X2 AMD, 7600GT NVidia, Avast for Antivirus, Comodo Firewall.  Increased file size (only a couple kilobytes) really got my hopes up for a large(r-ish) update, I see that you didn't use the extra-compression though...

I think my high-score is 27,500ish (+/- a couple hundred points). Nice score yokomeshi.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 04:07:38 AM »

looking pretty bad ass right here!  Hand Any Key
The warp feature is a smart feature.  Hand Clap

jph wacheski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 07:31:14 AM »

cheapshot- thanks

BigLon- ha thanks for the link,. yup that is the same warp!  I was even considering making it drainable by how long you held it down,. lol.  danm witches warping to the future and stealing my warping idea. Sad  well mine is different in that you have a descriet number and can stay in warp space as long as you like,. . so there. Tongue  
As for more content,. yeah I was just getting the font/GUI worked out,. and a bunch of little things,. test. I still hope to add a load more of yokomeshi's cool ships,. with various AIs, and some boss type stuff with segments and such,. . time willing.

moi- actually the 'particle' amounts are much the same I was just messing with the feedback acid-trail levels,.  But i feel ya, just press K to kill them. I will reduce them down some for the next ver.  The enemies can NOT warp,. only you can. If they do however get past you, they will come back up from the bottom, some times after haveing hung out off sc reen for a while,. dont let them get past or be ready if they do!

yokomeshi- humm that is odd,. I had a look at the earlier ver. and the latest,. I think i found what MAY have done that. I will fix it, and hopefully the next ver. will be cool.  I wasn't sure the font was going to work, but now it looks very cool. thanks.

CCPC Speaker- not sure about wine but in the end ther will be a OSX ver. so you can just wait for that,. it is probably more a vid-card issue than wine though.

Sparky- thanks for the comments,. actualy I quite like the way low res. sprite look scaling and rotating in openGL, there is no bluring/artifacts, like say in GM or something bliting, more of a quantum process,. You are correct, these are artistic issues and very subjective, as I also like the hard-edged sprites, aganst the soft glow effects,. guess we all have to follow our muse.  

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:36:11 AM by jph wacheski » Logged

jph wacheski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 11:39:06 AM »

proto4 is posted at the top!

May have fixed the shader bug, I had used 0 where I needed 0.0 (int vs float) not sure but give it a test, Orel and anyone else have problems running it.
of course I made a bunch of other changes that may, or may not, have broken other things. Wink

A new enemy that fires aimed rockets at the player is also added.  I will be adding a sub and super ver. of that guy next,. .    

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 09:44:36 PM »

So the game isn't supposed to look like this?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

How do I get mine to look like that?

Also... is the fullscreen option not implemented yet? I didn't check that box but I went to fullscreen.

-PENCERKOFF

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »

Yeah, it goes fullscreen either way...

So anyway. Multiplayer Co-op please.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 10:54:17 PM »

So the game isn't supposed to look like this?

shmup meets jackson pollock!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic