Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:42:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2FlxAdventure
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: FlxAdventure  (Read 9265 times)
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »

I'm using Flixel and Oryx's LOFI Fantasy 2D/3D artwork.
That's all I know so far :D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:06:28 AM by SeiferTim » Logged

mirosurabu
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I like the name of the game. (:
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »

Early testing after <24 hours of coding :D

SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:32:30 AM »

So the engine itself is 99% done, just need to play around with the interfaces a little bit to make them more sane.

Game controls are nothing but the arrow keys.

I'm using Oryx, Oddball, and Geeze's assets so far, haven't decided on any sounds/music yet.

So pretty much the remainder of the time for the contest will be spent making content and levels.  Smiley

SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »

OMG Only 1 WEEK LEFT!   Shocked

Um, still need to do like 2.75 levels Sad I haven't done anything for music or sounds... might just be a silent game... bleargh... holidays and other stuff = NOTIME  Epileptic

I still don't know how it's going to END yet... Sad

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »

you can do it!
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »

So, it may not be as polished as I had wanted, but it works, and it's got a complete... uh... story? yeah....

I chose not to use any sound or music because a: couldn't find any music I liked, and b: I think it would get super repetitive, super fast, and people would mute it anyway.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/523684

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »

Very cool.
I like the combat mechanic, and some cool use of the the environment tiles like the thrown room with the lich king in it! Is there anyway to pixelate the fog of war somehow to match the pixel resolution of the world?
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »

Very cool.
I like the combat mechanic, and some cool use of the the environment tiles like the thrown room with the lich king in it! Is there anyway to pixelate the fog of war somehow to match the pixel resolution of the world?

Hm, didn't really think about pixelating the overlays... I could try that out, thanks!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »

I played up to level 3 where my interest sort of trailed off.

I never really came to understand the combat mechanics. It feels like all I had to do was repeatedly use the UP attack and I'd win every fight. Victory seems assured if you take the time to explore each map and collect all the upgrades. I never came close to death even when fighting bosses like the minotaur in level 2. I'm not sure if combat becomes more difficult later in the game.

The lack of sound makes the game feel empty. You ought to add some soundtrack and sound effects.

I did enjoy exploring the world, and discovering all the little details, like rivers, libraries, crumbling chambers and the like. If there were more little treats like that it'd be more enthralling, I think.

It's a cute game, and revealing the world slowly has the same appeal to me that Small Worlds had. It's just not a particularly engaging game to me.

-SirNiko
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »

I played up to level 3 where my interest sort of trailed off.

I never really came to understand the combat mechanics. It feels like all I had to do was repeatedly use the UP attack and I'd win every fight. Victory seems assured if you take the time to explore each map and collect all the upgrades. I never came close to death even when fighting bosses like the minotaur in level 2. I'm not sure if combat becomes more difficult later in the game.

The lack of sound makes the game feel empty. You ought to add some soundtrack and sound effects.

I did enjoy exploring the world, and discovering all the little details, like rivers, libraries, crumbling chambers and the like. If there were more little treats like that it'd be more enthralling, I think.

It's a cute game, and revealing the world slowly has the same appeal to me that Small Worlds had. It's just not a particularly engaging game to me.

-SirNiko

Thanks.

Many of your issues are things that I really wanted to spend more time on but just couldn't.

Yeah I know it's not due until the 10th, but I have a million other things going on, and I had to wrap this up or risk it getting completely abandoned.

I intended to do some critical hits in there, but never got around to it, to make combat a little more random, and maybe add some more variation to the enemies stats. I am surprised you never died, I had a hard time testing it out (unless I enabled debug-super-stat-mode) without dying most of the time... If I had more time, I certainly would have spent most of it focusing on making the stats more balanced throughout the game. As it was, I thought it was much too hard and gave the player a bit of a buff at the last minute.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »

Could you explain what's going on in the little box at the bottom? It seems to be related to the combat, but the numbers don't make immediate sense. I'd love to get a little more detail about this, in the event I might jump in again later and slug it out to the last map.

-SirNiko
SeiferTim
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »

Could you explain what's going on in the little box at the bottom? It seems to be related to the combat, but the numbers don't make immediate sense. I'd love to get a little more detail about this, in the event I might jump in again later and slug it out to the last map.

-SirNiko

Sure! The Guy on the left is you, the guy on the right is whoever you're fighting at the time. Each enemy type has different stats. (HP, Attack, Defense)

Each time you choose an action, the game is going to make 4 'rolls'. It's your attack roll vs the monster's defense roll (the top line) and then your defense roll vs the monster's attack roll.

So if you have 2 Str and 2 Def, and the Enemy has 1 Str and 1 Def, and you choose to use the regular attack (Up), then you'll roll anywhere from a 0 to a 2 on your attack, and a 0 to a 2 on defense, while the enemy will roll 0-1 on both of his rolls.

Lets say the rolls end up like this:

2 > 1
1 < 1

This means you rolled 2 to attack the enemy, and he rolled 1 to defend, meaning he blocks 1 point of damage, but still takes the remaining 1 (this would show up in Red over the enemy)

The enemy's attack was a 1, and you rolled a 1 to defend, meaning you blocked all the damage he would have done to you.

Make sense?

Also, when your player 'levels up' or whatever, each rank adds a small bonus to Str and Def and also increases the Minimum values of those rolls... not sure of the exact numbers, but I think rank 1 (The grey armor) will make it so you can't roll lower than a 1 anymore...

Of course, if you choose to use a defensive block (left) you won't make any attack roll, and vice-versa for power strike (attack, but no defense), so they'll be treated as 0s.

Skab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:10:45 AM »

Hi !
nice game, i just finish it and i think i spotted a lttle bug, once you beat the game, when you click replay the game restart at the last level (lv4) with your character at his lowest rank.
good level design, maybe monsters are a bit weak and bosses are way to weak  Smiley, the octopuss-thingy in level 4 dide in 2 roll  !

anyway keep the good work !

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

I agree that the game was too easy. I never came anywhere near dying, and I also got to max level quite a long time before the end of the game. This made the last level feel a bit lackluster since I was just avoiding the enemies because they weren't worth killing.

Still a fun game though, and I love the amount of detail you put into the world.

KissMaj7
Level 0

The silent man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »

I think the final boss should have been the red chicken, the only enemy that had a slight chance agaist my great power Cheesy

Anyway, good game  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »

Kudos on making a fun little game! I wish I'd known I couldn't go back up stairs before going down them. Tongue

Figuring out the crystals were leveling me up was fun, too, to see what I would turn into next.

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »

I really enjoyed this because I enjoy tiny pixel games and exploring games, I did find some bugs:
First, on the third floor there's a place where you forgot to block off the water and you can walk right across into unmapped areas and even off the edge of the screen.
Second, at the end when I beat the game without dying it showed some code value for the number of times I died.

Also I hit the level cap on like the second or early third floor.  I wanted more!  But neato overall, if easy.
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »

I found the clipping bug, too, but I wasn't sure if it was a bug b/c it seemed to open the way to another room for me. : ?  (I also noticed the thing on death.)

I'd agree with the sentiments above... let's see some more.  Smiley  If you're not burned out, it'd be great to get some ambient music in here with some more game content.  I'd play again!

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »

The exploring aspect is really what made the game enjoyable for me. Poking around in every corner, revealing the entire map, it's fun times. The lights that illuminate the darkness are a pretty good idea, they give you a good sense of direction. It makes the big maps less daunting to explore.

I think multi-enemy combat would add a lot of strategy to the game, so if you plan to keep going at it, I'd go for that.

A Game By Its Cover Entry: Burp'N'Shoot
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic