Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:30:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2FlxAdventure
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: FlxAdventure  (Read 9321 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 05:46:45 AM »

Liked: The level design is top notch. They are non-linear, and new areas area unlocked at a nice rate. The 'fog of war' encourages exploration of the level. It feels like there is actually a world beyond the confines of the game levels.

Disliked: The combat mechanic wasn't explained too well to begin with, although I did pick it up rather quickly. No sounds or music at all, with all the great assets already provided this is probably the games biggest sin.

Conclusion: Brilliant game. Played it all the way through. Just needed some sound to add that last bit of polish.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:52 AM »

Well done! Good use of resources!

Combat mechanics was slightly annoying because of the enforced delay between rounds without indication of its duration, and because of the lack of delay when you killed a monster, making you unable to read the effects of the killing blow as well as tending to move the character in the direction of your selected combat option.

The "level" in the upper right corner was confusing: I increased the progress bar several times and the number didn't increase so I was almost about to write a missing feature report about character levels not having been incorporated. It took me all until the third dungeon level until I realised it was the world depth, not character level.

The function of the progress bar and the armour colours remain unknown.

Extremely anti-climatic ending - both battle and win screen. Having been buffed up like that I expected something truly eldricht!

I disagree with the other comments saying the game was too simple because had it been harder I would never have bothered finishing it. Since it was simple I kept going to see it to the end.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Benjamin Crackers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 07:48:23 AM »

I've to say I really love this game! I like the tiny pixel look of the game which has a kind of charm to it and the minimalistic combat system is interesting too. I agree with most people that it is too easy and I'd like to add that it would be more fun to have more "growth" of your character, e.g. new abilities, weapons. The last level was also rather confusing for me. The lava is a little hard to distinguish from the red floor tiles. I'm also wondering if some areas are actually possible to access.

I would love to play (and even pay for) a fully working game with sound and maybe a story and a further developed combat system. Great work on this one!  Hand Metal Right
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic