Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 03:37:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Chipmunk Physics 5.0.0 released.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chipmunk Physics 5.0.0 released.  (Read 2294 times)
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »

The goods:
Source (Should build on OSX, Linux and Windows)
OSX Demo binary (built from the source code above)

I've been sitting on a large number of Chipmunk changes without an official release for almost a year and a half now. Time to stop being lazy!

New features in no particular order:
  • New joints/constraints system. Much more flexible and programable than before. Joints have adjustable parameters now so you can use them like servos and the like.
  • Raycasting. Actually just line segment queries, but should be about as useful and is implemented very efficiently.
  • New collision callback API. You now can register callbacks for collision begin/separate events among other useful things.
  • Sensor shapes. Collision shapes that call callbacks but don't generate collisions, like sensors in Box2D or triggers in Unity.
  • API for safely removing objects from the space from callbacks.

The documentation on the Google Code wiki is also finally up to date.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:20:19 PM by slembcke » Logged

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
resistor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »

It looks like you accidentally left a file out of the zip.  CMake is complaining about "cpBreakableJoint.c" not being present.  Even if I hack the CMakeLists.txt to ignore it, one of the demos doesn't link without it.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:36:46 PM »

Ah, whoops. Looks like I forgot to do an update on my working copy in OSX before running svn export. Didn't have the changes to the CMake files. I fixed it.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »

• Sensor shapes. Collision shapes that call callbacks but don't generate collisions, like sensors in Box2D or triggers in Unity.
Awesome, this is something I'd been wishing for a bit for awhile (i.e. make a shape for the screen, and call a drawThis() callback on anything that collides with it)

• API for safely removing objects from the space from callbacks.
This also :O

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:48:55 AM »

Is it OOP yet? >:

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:00:46 AM »

awesome, man.
i've been using chipmunk for a while now for one of my projects (not completed yet - ask me in 6 months ahaha) - it's great. i actually only use a small amount of the available functionality (i'm not using joints/etc...) - so at some point i'll take a look at some of that i'd imagine.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »

Is it OOP yet? >:

Yup. http://code.google.com/p/chipmunk-physics/wiki/BindingsAndPorts

I know there are more as well. If you don't like any of the OO languages there, it would only take a couple of hours to write a nice fully OO wrapper for your favorite OO language of choice. I've written several. Wink

HannesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »

Great job, slembcke Smiley does the Ruby interface contain the new features as well?
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

Great job, slembcke Smiley does the Ruby interface contain the new features as well?

Not yet. At the moment we are working on some updates to our iPhone games. Though we will probably update Crayon Ball (written in Ruby) soon too. It wouldn't take long to do if you really wanted to use it for the Assemblee contest or something, just let me know.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »

Downloadable documentation would be nice.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »

Any ideas for this? I used to just have a markdown file with everything in it. The Google code wiki is sort of nice, but I can't generate the documentation offline or download the entire wiki. Anyone know of any good markup tools for generating html/pdf output?

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »

The wiki's already being rendered as a webpage, surely You just need to download it and redirect a few links. So, wget -r?

And congratulations on your release.
hexageek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:30:17 PM »

Any ideas for this? I used to just have a markdown file with everything in it. The Google code wiki is sort of nice, but I can't generate the documentation offline or download the entire wiki. Anyone know of any good markup tools for generating html/pdf output?

http://www.naturaldocs.org/
it's like doxygen but the html output is much more intuitive IMHO.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »

I thought the old "one big file" documentation was actually really convenient. Surely there's some way around to download a google wiki?

If I wrote a perl script to slurp the wiki pages into a file, would you want it? (serious offer...)

Actually it looks like there is a CPAN module for parsing Google Code wiki pages already?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic