Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:53:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoujin Shmups: an Introduction
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Doujin Shmups: an Introduction  (Read 21490 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:16:23 AM »

Discuss the new feature here!
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:44:59 AM »

I wanna do a H schmup, or a little minigame collection. Not featuring toddlercon though like on that screen...

Writing a bullet dodger seems to be pretty easy, but I might be mistaken about its finer points.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »

You're entirely right, Arne, bullet-hell style games are the lowest form of shooter. Stuff like R-Type is far better. Smiley

I thought the feature was pretty good, although there seems to be an obvious bias towards bullet-hell style games instead of my far more impartial stance on the subject. Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:45:40 PM »

You're entirely right, Arne, bullet-hell style games are the lowest form of shooter. Stuff like R-Type is far better. Smiley

I thought the feature was pretty good, although there seems to be an obvious bias towards bullet-hell style games instead of my far more impartial stance on the subject. Wink

Well designed shooters take more work to create, so I think most people take the easy option!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »

I was never a fan of shmups. It could be because I'm shmup reetaarddedd, but they always seem like if they're not ridiculous hard, they're ridiculous easy, and the only thing between is frustration.
I like Kenta Cho's stuff, though. His seem to be the only shoot 'ems I can play for extended periods of time.
I guess I'll have to give the others mentioned a try to see if my mind'll change.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:18:12 PM »

I did it for teh lulz.

The sidebars took longer than the game to make. Only a font left to do for the health/score/level/lives.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »

I... er... it's very well done, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to design sidebars that I find more revolting. Artistic differences!

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 09:37:59 PM »

I... er... it's very well done, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to design sidebars that I find more appealing.
:D

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »

I... er... it's very well done, but I'm not sure if it would be possible to design sidebars that I find more appealing.

Hah hah, perversion.  Tongue  Grin

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »

:...(

I just put the croth shot over the entire playfield, (blurred and faded to black though). I can't do a hentai-bullet-hell without the right ingredients.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 02:30:42 AM »

Perhaps, like a poo sundae, there is no such thing as the right ingredients for a hentai bullet-hell... 

Besides, I live in Tokyo, so I know just how much of that sort of thing is around - just so, so, so, so, so much of it that I try to discourage people from making any more. Honestly, you could literally build a mountain out of it. Ah well, whatever floats yer boat though!

Apart from that, I'm with the Doctor: Cave and all their bullet-puking friends can go  piss up a rope. Let's reclaim the shooter from the Japanese hardcore shooter-nerds! And let's not use Japanese shooter-nerd terminology to describe 'em, either - starting with those totally unnecessary substitute words for "horisontal" and "vertical". Talking like a Tokyo dork isn't more hardcore!

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:03:34 AM »

But here in Sweden hentai is so incredibly exotic that... I don't think I've ever seen any hentai published here.

This is the internet though.

But yeah, I agree (You know, I wasn't entirerly serious when I did that game). I think lots of more interesting stuff could be made within the schmup genre... but it's also true for any genre.

I'd like to see some exploration-feel schmups like Cybernoid, Zeppelin and Section Z. Gravitar was interesting too. Gravity Force. Wings of Fury. Choplifter. Add those and stir gently.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:05:12 AM by Arne » Logged
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »

I have an idea I've been kicking around for a shmup.

Problem is I don't like shmups or have ever made one before. But I'm weird in that I also want to make puzzlers, which I never play either...

PS. Arne gillar japansk porr.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 11:18:42 AM »

Perhaps, like a poo sundae, there is no such thing as the right ingredients for a hentai bullet-hell... 

LOL! Surely the right ingredients are poo, and a cherry? Wink

Apart from that, I'm with the Doctor: Cave and all their bullet-puking friends can go  piss up a rope. Let's reclaim the shooter from the Japanese hardcore shooter-nerds! And let's not use Japanese shooter-nerd terminology to describe 'em, either - starting with those totally unnecessary substitute words for "horisontal" and "vertical". Talking like a Tokyo dork isn't more hardcore!

Here! Here! Although, tbh, Platypus was way too bullet-hell for my liking, too. Tongue

Now, where did I put my knife? Ah, there it is in Anthony's back. Wink

Also, Arne, I like explorey shooters like Cybernoid, too, (I remade Cybernoid 2 after all) and think that your game should be called "Cameltoe-X". In fact, I demand it! Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 12:04:25 PM »

I have 4 tentative tiles, I'll pick one and use the rest for levels. Each level is a girl-pic border, right side. The heroine is to the left. The HUD stuff goes on top of the relevant borders.

Low Orbit
Tight Fit
Ideal Cut
Bad Cover

So which one is the title? I'm leaning towards the first.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 01:02:56 PM »

I'm leaning towards "Tight Fit"...................
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 04:58:16 PM »

Explorer Shmup? Sounds like an oxymoron.

I like Ideal Cut.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »

The game is drawing the HUD now. I made the text using the BellBottom Laser Font, rendrered in ImageStyler with some effects. This is the Low Orbit level, I haven't put anything else in, but I have four shield images made.

Shields are in place, basically they're HP meters and decorations. Two copies rotate cw/ccw around the player/boss, then they shrink and change color when the player/boss takes damage. A good way to immidiately judge the amount of taken. The shield image of the boss also goes in its side border.

Explosions are in. You can plow thru bullets watching your shield go in a wake of explosion puffs rotating and scaling all over the place. Nearly everything on the playfield is LightBlend (Screen).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 05:48:08 PM by Arne » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic