Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:02:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Bitworld [Finished (OSX+WINDOWS)]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Bitworld [Finished (OSX+WINDOWS)]  (Read 163903 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »

I have an ATI card (on my desktop PC, haven't tried it on my bootcamped Macbook yet) and I have the same problems.

That said, this is a nice little dungeon hacker. Took me a bit to find out about the camera angle flipping though. I'm also really fond of the visuals, I like how your character gets all deformed when you hold down the attack button.  Cheesy

Really looking forward to see you expanding on this.  Coffee
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »

. Took me a bit to find out about the camera angle flipping though.

Someone didn't go see Captain Tutorial.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Ashkin
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »

This game is good fun. Haven't gotten far into it yet though.

Good job, Ivan!
 Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »

I'm not big for talking to NPCs. I like to jump right into the action.  Cheesy
deathtotheweird
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »

everything was fine for me except the seams between the textures stood out.

awesome little game/engine. I guess the ending is when you clear the dungeon?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »

You can keep going lower and lower, I guess I have to make that clearer

deathtotheweird
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »

Oh, I see. Stairs are easy to miss.

and the archer is crazy hard to play. pretty fun when you kill with it but it's hard to last without health pickups.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »

Found a minor bug in the Windows version : if I press Enter while the message "A Game by Ivan Safrin" is fading, it will make the message reappear and start to fade again.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »

Made some fixed and additions:

- Added blood/debris
 - Added heart/gold drops to enemies
 - Exits are now much easier to see
 - Balanced combat more (archer is much easier to use now)
 - Enemies communicate their state better
 - Added practice dummies in the overworld
 - Mage's spells wont go through walls anymore
 - Enemies shouldnt go through walls anymore
 - Optimized Mac player, so mac version should should run smoother now

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:18 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Kiss Excellent stuff as always. All the new additions are good ones. I'm having great fun with this. If you need any extra graphics to add to this, after the compo of course, then just let me know. I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »

Sweet, thanks Oddball! And yeah, I'll most definitely need more stuff after the compo, so I'll be in touch  Gentleman

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2010, 03:01:07 AM »

Sorry, the overworld buildings (and characters!) still follow me when I descend into the dungeon, making it very difficult to see anything. Are you forgetting to clear out a buffer, or simply not setting something to invisible that should be?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »

It's so weird that you're having that issue. The scene of the first level gets completely disabled and my buffers get cleared on every frame. It might be some VBO mixup.

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »

Cool game.  Hand Joystick

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »

In terms of animation and graphics, this is probably the slickest entry I've seen so far. I like the clear feedback about enemies waking up, the shield being out, etc..

I find myself not always being totally sure of how the collision detection is going to work in combat. As the knight, my sword doesn't always connect when I expect it to, and as the wizard my projectiles don't always hit when they look like they should be in the same plane as the enemies.

In terms of behavior, I like the way you're giving each of the enemies such a clear role. The enemy archers and the enemies with shields are fun and feel pretty solid already. I'm not quite sold on the skeletons and green enemies in the lower levels- when I play as the knight, the way they move and attack feels kind of unpredictable. While they're not dangerous, they feel very random. I wonder if it might be a good idea to make the way they work more transparent by giving them a clear "I'm going to attack" animation.

Your execution is great- I like all the little animations, and the blood effects are fun.

I'm playing the Windows build, running Windows XP sp. 2, with an older single core AMD and an nVidia 6800. It runs faultlessly on my old computer Smiley

I ran into a few issues:
  • Skeletons charged toward me through walls on a few occasions. I couldn't pass through said walls
  • Bits of furniture clip the walls sometimes when placed close to them
  • Characters clip the walls at times. It might be good to increase the collision size of the walls or characters slightly.
  • Sometimes there were disembodied shadows in the middle of the floor, seemingly from bits of furniture that were not visible. A couple of times I saw a row or two of brownish pixels sticking up through the ground, so could these be from furniture that's drawn under the floor?
  • The shadows around walls seem to break in places. It seems like this might be happening where the level generation places a door, but decides not to make a passageway.
  • The coin sound plays a lot louder than the other sounds on my speakers (which are terrible, it might be my speakers rather than the game)

I'm looking forward to future releases, this seems like it has a lot of potential.
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »

I tried a quick and dirty pixellation screen shader on top of this, and it ended up anti-aliasing everything. I can't figure out if I like that or not. I feel like I'm butchering Oddball's graphics more and more Smiley

What do you guys think?
Hey, I know I'm way late on this Smiley But is it possible (maybe as a player option) to anti-alias the backgrounds but not the sprites? I love the way the AA filter makes the walls and floor look like an old LucasArts game, but the sprites should definitely be crisp.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:46 AM »

Ok, I fixed the ending, now the game should be (theoretically  Ninja) beatable

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:47 AM »

Played it with the archer. I didn't find a map button, and if there isn't you should totally add one. It's often hard and tedious to find the stairs to the next level.

The graphics are awesome, one of the best asset uses yet. I love what you did for animation, but I agree that enemy attacks should be better telegraphed..

Also, Dwarf Fortress. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Captain_404
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »

Did you fix the glitch I last posted about? I redownloaded the file and ran it with the exact same result as last time.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »

Did you fix the glitch I last posted about? I redownloaded the file and ran it with the exact same result as last time.

Sadly, not yet. I've had very limited time to make updates and i had to devote it to some game-breaking issues. I'll get a new build with graphics options and the texture fix in as soon as i am able.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic