Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:24:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Wizard3D [ALPHA]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Wizard3D [ALPHA]  (Read 12248 times)
Kyliroth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »

Looks great so far!

I definitly have to agree!

- no -
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

Runs perfectly on my machine, smooth movement all the way through. The controls are simple enough, as I had no difficulty crossing the pit of white blocks. Fireballs are easy to aim, and even the little blue pickups work properly, though they don't do anything yet.

-SirNiko
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »

Yeah definitely looking good - makes me wish I had animated some of the color enemies.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »

Is fun, runs good, enemies are a bit lifeless. I make them more lifeless with my awesome fire. That fire is cool. It would be cooler (hotter?) if it lit up the scene, but that might be hard I dunno.

Nice work!

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:02 AM »

Yeah definitely looking good - makes me wish I had animated some of the color enemies.
Remember? Shocked
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8791.0

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 08:34:55 AM »

Controls took me a minute to get used to when jumping across the white columns in the pit since in FPS games I'm used to maintaining my forward movement when jumping, but it didn't take me long to adjust to fully and ultimately just gave me more control over my jumps.

Cool, I'm definitely taking more of a 2D platformer/Quake approach to the movement, where you can pretty much do anything you want. Time permitting, I want to build some more difficult jumping puzzles that are off the main gameplay path for people so inclined to follow them.

The fireball effect looks very nice, but it's hard to see since it is more or less coming out of the center of your eye.

working on this already, just have to figure out a smart way to keep accuracy at long distances tho.

I also rather like the 3D effect on the enemy sprites, which is why I was a bit disappointed that they always face you, making it more or less impossible to see unless you get right up on top of an enemy.

Right, I still haven't given up unlinking the enemies from the camera and I can easily add what Deadeye suggested as well, just to give the alignment some delay. The problem with my game is the 3D models are derived directly from the 2D sprites, so I don't have any data for the backs. Geeze provided some additional turnarounds as he mentioned as did Oryx on a few of his, but probably not for the guys I want to use. Since I can't make new sprites, for the more complicated ones I'll have to manually go through define which pixels can't be used on the back. I'll see how it goes tho, it may only be necessary on a case by case basis.

Runs silky smooth at 1680x1050 for me.  Eerily silky smooth.

My box cover quote right here :D

Glad this is running for everyone and thanks for the feedback, glad to see people are digging it so far. Starting to work on enemy AI now, so once that is in place things will feel a bit more livelier and I can get started on the actual levels.

Oh, a proper thanks is in order to Oryx for this awesome set. Having to choose which guys make the final game is going to be tough!

jamatthews
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »

I SUCK AT JUMPING

P.S. This is great fun.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »

I also rather like the 3D effect on the enemy sprites, which is why I was a bit disappointed that they always face you, making it more or less impossible to see unless you get right up on top of an enemy.

Right, I still haven't given up unlinking the enemies from the camera and I can easily add what Deadeye suggested as well, just to give the alignment some delay. The problem with my game is the 3D models are derived directly from the 2D sprites, so I don't have any data for the backs. Geeze provided some additional turnarounds as he mentioned as did Oryx on a few of his, but probably not for the guys I want to use. Since I can't make new sprites, for the more complicated ones I'll have to manually go through define which pixels can't be used on the back. I'll see how it goes tho, it may only be necessary on a case by case basis.

I wouldn't mind one bit if the back is just the reverse of the front. Or just black or grey or something. Or pick a random pixel at the top of the sprite and fill the back with that color. Any of those to me are better than locking the rotation, because in that case you almost might as well be using simple sprites.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

Yeah I also agree with saluk's sentiment. It's like, by making them into true 3d models you're sort of making them into action figures or LEGO characters or something, so they need to feel 3-dimensional and act like they are a part of the world. Maybe you could connect them to physics or something? Make them tumble down when you hit them?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
snellface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »

very pritty Smiley... Err.. how do you get the shading on the walls? Shaders? Or what api are you using? :O... I really wanna know how to make those smooth looking walls of yours :/ and the light shadeing?
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »

actually... nothing. This is me doing nothing except one omni light plus white ambient light, which is basically the Blitz default.

I know I haven't posted screens in awhile, but I'm working on a more atmospheric light/fog approach for the final game. Everything feels a bit cheery right now but ultimately I'm hoping for something moodier.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »

Quick little update, got vertex lighting working for the environment so I thought I'd post some really, uhhh, colorful screens

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »

can you subdivide the environment into a smaller grid so you get less artifacts (the diagonals)?
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

I can in areas that really need it, but it's significantly less noticeable on textured walls.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »

Tried it. Smoothish @ 1600x1050 on my lappy (dual core 2.53 ghz). Loved the extruded sprited, with some animations the game will be spectacular! Hated the jumps!!!!! Make the jumps easier! There's nothing destroying gameplay and game fun as much as jump mechanics!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Kekskiller
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »

There's nothing destroying gameplay and game fun as much as jump mechanics!
Half-Life
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

Tried it. Smoothish @ 1600x1050 on my lappy (dual core 2.53 ghz). Loved the extruded sprited, with some animations the game will be spectacular! Hated the jumps!!!!! Make the jumps easier! There's nothing destroying gameplay and game fun as much as jump mechanics!

Ha, you're going to hate the part I just added in today then Wink

I agree with you tho, super annoying jumping puzzles in FPS can suck especially when forced upon you. That being said, I really like vertical gameplay, so jumping is going to still be a part of this game. I'm trying to limit the amount of forced jumping setups tho, making most of them off path routes you take to find hidden stuff, but there's still 2 sections in there now that require some jumping skill.

Btw, were you holding shift while you jumped? I know a few people who tried the playable without realizing you can run, eventually breezed through that section. I tried to give as much in-air control as possible to make jumping less trivial, but I'm still willing to tweak the collision if people find the jumps too difficult.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »

Alpha version released  Wizard
http://26k.org/dev/play/wizard3D_v023.zip

After a lot of work the last couple days, I have a more playable version ready. Controls are the same as before, but I want to emphasize holding SHIFT to run and RMB to open doors and activate switches. You will need to be running to make some of the jumps. Switches are new to this build, but unfortunately don't have art support yet. You will see small green cubes on the ground, get close enough to them and press RMB and they will turn red.

Other new stuff includes NPC's (green cubes, again), health pickups, and 4 types of enemies. The enemy AI is still really rough. The art for the bats will change, so ignore their backs.

There are two collision problems I know of so far. Right now you have no 'head' so you can clip through for a bit on low ceilings. There are a few tight spots where you can clip/stick into walls as well. If you get stuck, just press R.

Finally, I took out all my textures and lights for the time being since it was really distracting in such an unfinished state. The game will be darker and hopefully have some cool ambient fx. Big thanks to Oryx, Oddball (your font is perfect!), and feeblethemighty for their assets.

Thanks again for playing and looking forward to the feedback!

increpare
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »

shadows on walls are broken? (if you walk up to any wall it goes black?  really distracting on the low ceilings : P

Erm, I'm on a macbook right now.  Right-click requirements are super annoying - I don't think I can use any switches : (
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »

After dying in my first 2 attempts, I finished it. Really nice game, the level design is already pretty damn nice.

Yeah, SFX and textures and this would be epic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic