Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:11:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA IV
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA IV  (Read 103932 times)
Kyrn
Level 0

Not a snake.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 12:10:51 AM »

Just wanted to get a few clarifications:

1) Regarding the 5 minute gameplay, if I was using some form of stage based formula, there's a chance that even if I make the stages downright easy, the player may still not complete the game regardless (This is especially notable because I plan to make a "New Super Mario Bros Wii" multiplayer format, which has the possibility of extending gameplay duration). Do I have to implement a timer so that the game dumps itself back into the starting screen regardless?
2) In terms of switch gaming and multiplayer, how does switch gaming handle multiple player input? (meaning other than "spacebar" which other buttons should I be using?)
3) Can the game be commercial before submission? (though likely the commercial and submission version would be slightly different to make the game more accessible via pause buttons and whatnot) (My reason being that I'm developing on XNA, and can conceivably create a XBox Live version without much changes)

[EDIT]
4) On a separate note, my game idea can conceivably be converted into small screen formats (most notably small enough to fit into the 256 x 256 screen size restriction used for Gamma 256) without too much loss of data. Is it permissible to submit two separate executables for such? Should I bother about such?
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:17:43 AM by Kyrn » Logged
raiten
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:53 AM »

yup.
everything has to only use 1 button.
you cant use a d-pad to go in options and then its just one button when the game actually start.

all one button all the time.

oh yeah.

it has to be the same button to quit the game too.
Harley Turan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 06:53:55 AM »

Just wanted to get a few clarifications:

1) Regarding the 5 minute gameplay, if I was using some form of stage based formula, there's a chance that even if I make the stages downright easy, the player may still not complete the game regardless (This is especially notable because I plan to make a "New Super Mario Bros Wii" multiplayer format, which has the possibility of extending gameplay duration). Do I have to implement a timer so that the game dumps itself back into the starting screen regardless?
2) In terms of switch gaming and multiplayer, how does switch gaming handle multiple player input? (meaning other than "spacebar" which other buttons should I be using?)
3) Can the game be commercial before submission? (though likely the commercial and submission version would be slightly different to make the game more accessible via pause buttons and whatnot) (My reason being that I'm developing on XNA, and can conceivably create a XBox Live version without much changes)

[EDIT]
4) On a separate note, my game idea can conceivably be converted into small screen formats (most notably small enough to fit into the 256 x 256 screen size restriction used for Gamma 256) without too much loss of data. Is it permissible to submit two separate executables for such? Should I bother about such?
[/EDIT]
Now, I'm by no means qualified to answer these, but I'll give it a go:

1) Yeah, the game should quit to title after 5 minutes regardless of the type of game. Paper Moon from last year's Gamma was a platformer and it had to quit after 5 minutes. To make it more subtle, you could have a story event such as the world deteriorates after 5 mins, or if the players are escaping from something, it catches them after 5 mins. It doesn't just have to be an abrupt title screen popping up.
2) Not sure what you mean by 'switch gaming', sorry. As far as I'm aware, multiplayer at the event will be handled by 4 separate Xbox 360 controllers.
3) Again, I'm not too sure on this. If in doubt, don't  Smiley
4) I can't see much benefit in submitting two executables. Just make the game in whatever resolution you feel works best and submit that.

Hope that helps  Smiley

Now, if I could make my own request, would it be possible to get ahold of the plain GammaIV logotype? Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:59:17 AM by Harley Turan » Logged
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »

It says at the link's page that the xbox A-button is the "button 1", but I don't know if it's the first index (i.e. Joy button 0) or the index number one (i.e. Joy button 1)

...or, I could bind all buttons to the same single action, just in case, if that's allowed.

For a PC from the Joystick properties utility the Xbox 360 joypad buttons are indicated as:

A = button 1
B = button 2
X = button 3
Y = button 4

LB = button 5
RB = button 6

BACK  = button 7
START = button 8

LEFT THUMB STICK BUTTON = button 9
RIGHT THUMB STICK BUTTON = button 10

An easy way to test this is to connect almost any compatible joypad/joystick controller to your PC. Go to "Devices and Printers" (via the START menu and for XP/Vista via the Control Panel). Next access your connected joystick and open up the "Game Controller Settings" or properties. If you press "A" on an Xbox 360 controller - you should see the on-screen button 1 indicator illuminate. Almost all joysticks/joypads will have a button mapped to 1.

There's nothing in the rules to stop you mapping your single control to all of those buttons. Nor also the SPACE BAR and LEFT MOUSE CLICK to make your game compatible with most accessibility switch interfaces. So long as they all do the same thing.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Working on HeliBrawl
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:24 AM »

Can the button be analogue?
One binary digit of input information. It's either 1 or 0, nothing in between.
That's not quite true; you can read the time it's held for.

I really don't like this theme.  I'm sick of seeing it all over the place.  Half the game competitions on this internet seem to have a one-button theme, or at least a one-button category.  And in "suggest themes for the next competition" threads, people always suggest it, and then someone always goes "wow that's an awesome original theme I really like it".  Sick of it.

So I'm going to enter.
OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »

Just wanted to get a few clarifications:...

I'm not officially linked to the competition, but I've tried to post the best accessibility guidance I can here: http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2009/12/gamma-iv-one-switch-help.html - which includes some advice for multi-player accessibility standards. Hope that helps?
Kyrn
Level 0

Not a snake.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

Thanks for the advice. One thing I've been considering as a mapping scheme is actually a first-input map (for the keyboard), reset whenever the game returns to menu. I'm doing something similar with the XBox controls, in which anyone who presses first gains control of the first character, and etc. This shouldn't affect the majority of switch-input games, I believe.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »

Can we rely on Joy2Key?

And if so why would anyone bother with joystick support when you could just remap any keyboard activity to ButtonEvent?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »

YES, joy2key or anything like that is fine.
flash is fine.

and we use xbox controllers because we dont want to present people with mice and keyboards.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »

Given this theme, you could get some hardware geeks to create single button controllers for you.

...they could even be wood-paneled.  Well, hello there!
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

that would be fantastic.

Break apart a cheap joystick, buy a couple of arcade buttons and solder them to make it fancy dancy.

Working on HeliBrawl
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »

Heck, you could even award the controllers to the winners!  Beer!
Kyrn
Level 0

Not a snake.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »

Given this theme, you could get some hardware geeks to create single button controllers for you.

...they could even be wood-paneled.  Well, hello there!

A box thingie with a big, red button on top?
Captain_404
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »

Does the button have to be the A button only, or could you just map every button to do the exact same thing?
fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »

A button.

OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 12:22:18 AM »

Is it right though that the single control mapped to the 'A' joypad button can be duplicated on the keyboard (e.g. SPACE BAR and LEFT MOUSE CLICK doing the same thing as 'A') so games can work with JoyToKey and switch interfaces for players using accessibility technology?
fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »

that's fine with us as long as the game is playable using only the A button and nothing else on the controller.

there wont be any keyboards or mice at either of the event.

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:46 AM »

I'm definitely going to submit my 'Mystic Mine' game Smiley.

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 02:56:32 AM »

I'm definitely going to submit my 'Mystic Mine' game Smiley.

From The Rules:

Pre-existing games will not be accepted.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »

Your game can support any number of players up to 4. Each player may have their own controller.

Does this mean a multiplayer-only game is okay?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic