Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:08:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA IV
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA IV  (Read 104462 times)
SpaceParanoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »

154 games. That's just... ugh...

Okay, I'm not getting in, probably. Great. There's a month and a half's worth of non-stop work and sleepless nights down the drain. Fuck.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »

It's only wasted if you didn't learn anything from it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:28:31 AM by John Nesky » Logged
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »

I think the goal of the compo is not only to be selected. I personally think of my entry as a personal achievement, since I managed to follow the deadlines and rules, created a small game and kinda like what the game became. It is a bit scary to compete with 153 games, but in the end, I'm still proud of being a part of this.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »

It's only wasted if you didn't learn anything from it.

Not only that, there's nothing stopping you from releasing your game once the winners are selected.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »

yeah, in the very likely event my game isn't selected I'm still happy with what I managed to do, and I think between us all we should have some pretty awesome new gameplay somewhere :D

Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »

I have amended my zip! (I also went ahead and included the XNA 3.1 redistributable in the zip, which increases its size by 2000%!)
Good thinking, luvcraft. I forgot to include the redistributable - at least ClickOnce will supposedly try and install it!

Can't wait to see all the great entries - 154 is way more than I was expecting.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »

Wow, got soooo much sleep aaaand...
It's my birthday today!  Wizard

And first order of business was uploading the README and screenshots we forgot on 4fourths!  Embarrassed On a brighter note, i started the upload at 2:22. Smiley Sorry Koko, now you have pictures and text to help.

GOZU
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

154 games. That's just... ugh...

Okay, I'm not getting in, probably. Great. There's a month and a half's worth of non-stop work and sleepless nights down the drain. Fuck.

That's a poor attitude to have Hand Thumbs Down Right

Firstly it's not down the drain since if you release your game anyways, there are plenty of disabled children who would appreciate it no doubt. I'm sure the oneswitch guys will be collecting the publicly-released entries so plenty of kids get to enjoy them. That in itself should make you proud.

Secondly if you're only making games for the reward then you're doing it wrong.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption here that everybody would love to have their game displayed by Kokoromi and played by the public, but that's not everything. Besides those of us who don't get selected will no doubt learn something anyways (I should hope) and if we're lucky hopefully the Kokoromi judges will communicate what they liked/did not like about our games (hopefully anyways, but since there's 154 entries they might now have time) so that we learn something to take into account with our future releases.
fucrate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »

Holy shit, just think, there are now 154 games that we wouldn't have had without Gamma.  That's a lot of damn games!  You can't say that about IGF, nobody makes a game just for the IGF, I know our game wouldn't have been made without the inspiration.

154 new games, that's fucking awesome.  Beer!

Hopefully they'll all get public release, I wanna play em!
caffeinekid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »

As soon as I find out that my game hasn't been chosen I will be releasing it of course. Smiley

Shame that some people see this as a waste. Making games is not a waste - isn't it what we get joy and satisfaction from? Making games is one of the most fun games you can play on a computer. Smiley

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

Wow! I wonder if more games will get picked this year?

I also wonder if it's because of the theme or that there are just more indie developers or something.   Kiss

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »

I entered for both reasons. I had not done a game prior to the last one (I have prior to this one), and the 3d stuff seemed just way over my head.

Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »

I also wonder if it's because of the theme or that there are just more indie developers or something.   Kiss
In my case, the theme was a perfect fit for an old game idea I had kicking around, so I decided to jump at the opportunity and make something that was a big change of pace - the constraints were a big part for me because they encouraged innovation without making you feel like you were stuck conforming to some particular genre or severe artistic constraint.

The forced simplicity also is nice for getting people to give it a go, since you know that 5 minutes and 1 button means that your game doesn't need to be some huge, sprawling work of art - you feel encouraged to consider simple games too, which makes it much easier to commit to a project and see where it takes you without feeling like you're wasting time.

Also, it helped that it was promoted on TIGSource because I never would have heard about Gamma 4 otherwise (I didn't know anything about the previous competitions, other than seeing Paper Moon).

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »

We are going to have so many interesting new one button game mechanics and control schemes to iterate off. I've got like three one button games designed that I haven't even started developing yet, and everyone will no doubt get more ideas as they play through the entries.
OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2010, 03:35:15 PM »

...[if you don't get selected] it's not down the drain since if you release your game anyways, there are plenty of disabled children who would appreciate it no doubt. I'm sure the oneswitch guys will be collecting the publicly-released entries so plenty of kids get to enjoy them. That in itself should make you proud.

Too right!!! I'd be chuffed to bits to host any new games at OneSwitch.org.uk, with permission, where people can enjoy your games for many years to come. And to echo Caffeine Kid earlier, all entrants definitely deserve a huge pat on the back. 150+ games is miraculous and fantastic news! I was really worried that perhaps a bit of passion had gone out of one-button game design, peaking some years back when RetroRemakes ran a one-switch compo. I guess not! Can't wait to play!
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »

I personally can't wait to pass off my game to OneSwitch. It's a noble goal
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

I can't believe there are so many... It's exciting and nervewracking at the same time. I suspect part of the reason that the Gamma 4 submission amount was such a great success was the inherent simplicity of the theme. That being said, I can now look back fondly on being nearly reduced to tears over attempting to figure out the anaglyph 3D last year.

Too right!!! I'd be chuffed to bits to host any new games at OneSwitch.org.uk, with permission, where people can enjoy your games for many years to come.

By the way, Barrie, I'm curious about what sparked your passion for assistive technology and single button games in the first place. I've never heard of anyone else so dedicated to this particular cause, so I'm wondering -- what is your personal experience with it?

It's awesome to know the side effect of Gamma 4 contributes to such a great cause.

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »

One Hundred and Fifty Four! Maybe we should be glad not everyone made a topic...

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »

Well that was fun. Glad I finished.
mikeaka
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »

Email Kokoromi plus reupload? Maybe they'll have time to change theirs, they probably haven't played a lot of the submissions yet.

Will do!  Oh um what's their email?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic