Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:24:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA IV
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA IV  (Read 103962 times)
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »

we had to reject more good games this year than we usually receive for the whole thing!
(it was a truly heartbreaking experience having to reject so many)

thanks for everybody who entered!

hopefully you got something out of the experience even if you werent selected.

(like finishing a game!)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:49:07 PM by fish » Logged

fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »

and remember! it's down the road, not across the street!

Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »

and remember! it's down the road, not across the street!
My Word!

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »

Spoilers: The people who got picked were the ones that submit a game AND donated to Kokoromi  Cheesy

EDIT: But in all seriousness, it does look like a lot of fantastic games didn't make the cut, so I can only imagine how crazy the competition must have been! 150+ entries is insane! Cheers to all who entered, and congratulations to those who made it  Beer!

Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: February 18, 2010, 01:41:31 AM »

Yep as you said Phubans the selected games look like monsters ! I can't wait to see/play them !  Smiley
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »

Doing the math, being in the top 5 of 154 entrees means your game would have to be better than 97% of the other entrant's games.

So if you got rejected, and you feel like a failure, take a good look at those statistics. If you still feel like a failure, you have your expectations way too high Tongue

Can't wait to see the ones that did get selected Grin. Most of the ones I've seen that I thought had a good chance of making it have all been rejected so far. The selected ones must be some really insane games.
Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »

Doing the math, being in the top 5 of 154 entrees means your game would have to be better than 97% of the other entrant's games.
I haven't look at the facts in this way but it looks like you're right and it's really freak  Crazy Now I double want my game to be chosen  Concerned

The selected ones must be some really insane games.
Speaking of that, it would be interesting to know the selection criteria of the Kokoromi team. Concept ? Gameplay ? Graphics ? Animation ? Fun ?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:26 AM »

Speaking of that, it would be interesting to know the selection criteria of the Kokoromi team. Concept ? Gameplay ? Graphics ? Animation ? Fun ?

Visual design / novelty factor is my guess. Smiley

Also: pick-up-and-playability.

Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »

And of course the "multiplayer" thing ... you know ...
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »

And of course the "multiplayer" thing ... you know ...

I'm curious to see how many games in the final 6 are actually multiplayer. I'm guessing it's gonna be a more or less even mix of singleplayer/multiplayer... (could be totally wrong lol)

Matt G
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 18, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure they said making a game that creatively uses the one-button concept is the most important thing - more than visual appeal, etc. So I'm very interested to see the selected bunch. I'll echo the sentiment that a lot of really great looking stuff got rejected, so I'm extremely eager to see what actual made it.
fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: February 18, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »

id say *every* factor was factored in.

the way i looked at it was like this; gamma is a question, and the games are answers.
and in the end, there was only maybe 12 really different answers.
example: we ended up with many games built around the "hold button to turn left, release button to turn right" concept. that's one answer to "what can you do with 1 button". so we tried to select what we thought was the best game of that type. we didnt want to select multiple games of the same "genre". in the case of 2 similar games of similar quality/interest, yes, the best looking one won. gamma is, after all, a showcase of games without sounds on giant screens. in previous years we had to make compromises and include less than gorgeous games that still used the concept well. the upside to this year's crazy number of submission was that we didnt have to pick ugly games.

another example: one game came up with an answer so unique, so different from all the others that it had to be included. the actual gameplay isnt the best, but the approach was so novel that we thought it a worthwhile inclusion.

gamma is a curated art event. not a competition.
and we felt this year, more than ever, that our choices would be saying something.
(unlike the first year, when every single game submitted was shown at the event. there wasnt much curatin' going on then)

gamma's never been so high profile. so our choices had to be careful and deliberate.
we didnt assign numerical values to games or use averages.
we had to deliberate about everything.
(seriously, i get why IGF does it the way they do it now)
which is why we still havent selected the final picks yet.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: February 18, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »

I'm pretty sure they said making a game that creatively uses the one-button concept is the most important thing - more than visual appeal, etc

Yeah, but there are only ever so many ideas you can come up with around themes like that.

So like Phil said, visual design plays a huge role.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: February 18, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »

the way i looked at it was like this; gamma is a question, and the games are answers.
and in the end, there was only maybe 12 really different answers.

If you put it like this, it'll be interesting to see the games that 'one-upped' my concept.

Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »

another example: one game came up with an answer so unique, so different from all the others that it had to be included. the actual gameplay isnt the best, but the approach was so novel that we thought it a worthwhile inclusion.

OMG OMG  Epileptic

The big thing is that we don't know who are the challengers. I'm sure that there are some pros, some students, some amateurs, etc. And I'm very curious to see if there is a gap between their games.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:24:18 AM by Shifty » Logged
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »

Sweet, I can make a feedback thread for my unaccepted entry now.  I've had a lot of ideas since turning it in, and I'm continuing to develop it.  I gots uh real live storyline and everything now Corny Laugh

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »

I was wondering if we could get more detailed feedback at some point? Maybe even just a copy-paste of any notes you took. I assume you guys needed to take notes?

I'm talking about after the event, of course! With 150 games to play and deliberate over in less than a month, that's at least five games a day. I wouldn't want to make your lives even more busy!

moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2010, 12:12:46 AM »

I was wondering if we could get more detailed feedback at some point? Maybe even just a copy-paste of any notes you took. I assume you guys needed to take notes?

I don't think this will be possible.  The notes are too full of kokoromi-shorthand to be useful outside our discussion.  A better solution is to start a thread here if you haven't already and get feedback from fellow TIGers.

Shifty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »

This could be a good solution but only Kokoromi has got all the games.
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:16 AM »

Here is a good place to look for many of the entries.  Newton64 is collecting them here:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11168.0

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic