Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:44:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA IV
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA IV  (Read 103964 times)
cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »

The general idea is that we click one button, and the game installs; one button, and the game launches. That's not a lame extension on the theme-- it's just a practical consideration since we have to get a whole bunch of games running in a short period of time so we can play and review them, and fussing around with install instructions is a huge pain in the ass.
moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »

"The game may be a Windows .exe or Mac .app, and must use an installer if ANY additional files are required to play."

Ok so let me get this straight, I'm currently a little confused. Does the JoyToKey install have to be wrapped in our game install or can the J2k count as our install, then use a self contained .exe to play the game and read for those keys defined by J2K?

Clarified rule:  The game may run under Windows or OSX, and you must provide an installer or ZIP archive containing all files required to play.

So, JoyToKey could be included in your game's ZIP archive or installer.
And as Cindy was saying, the install procedure needs to be on the level of near-instant gratification.

jclaine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »

All is clear now. Thank you.
Kyrn
Level 0

Not a snake.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »

Just want to make a quick clarification: Will the displays be "always on" or potentially toggled? I'm asking to check if I will require some proper saving functionality to handle a high score table, or if I can just store it in a persistent array instead. (not that I can't, but it leaves me more time for balance and polish if I do not need to handle saving/loading errors and etc)
jclaine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »

Another question for you guys. If our game supports more then one player how many judges/players will be used to judge the game?
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »

I can only assume 4?  Kokoromi is 4 people, after all.  Wink
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2009, 09:45:59 PM »

(I think my question got lost on the previous page...)

The Windows systems that the games will be run on, they aren't Vista, are they?

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »

(I think my question got lost on the previous page...)

The Windows systems that the games will be run on, they aren't Vista, are they?
You should really be submitting Vista-compatible exes anyway. Seriously. Game Maker 8 will be released soon and Game Maker is really cheap compared to the contest prize. There's not much reason not to either upgrade your middleware or to get someone to test your game beforehand.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2009, 02:26:46 AM »

compared to the contest prize
Yeah, I knew attending GDC was expensive, but I didn't realize that all access passes were $2000!  Shocked

(thankfully some of the other passes aren't so ridiculous, but even then...)
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2009, 02:35:40 AM »

Yeah, I knew attending GDC was expensive, but I didn't realize that all access passes were $2000!  Shocked

(thankfully some of the other passes aren't so ridiculous, but even then...)

If I was buying a pass today I'd go for the summit pass. The indie games summit was easily my biggest takeaway last year, and the rest isn't worth the additional $850.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2009, 06:41:04 AM »

I really want to go, but for me the $2000 pass + $2000 flight there is really a kick in the crotch :/

A game professional is winning $1000-1600 USD a month down here  Huh?

Working on HeliBrawl
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »

Very inspiring! It'll be my first competition, I hope I can do something good in such little time! (it's not a lot of time for me Tongue)

Just want to make a quick clarification: Will the displays be "always on" or potentially toggled? I'm asking to check if I will require some proper saving functionality to handle a high score table, or if I can just store it in a persistent array instead. (not that I can't, but it leaves me more time for balance and polish if I do not need to handle saving/loading errors and etc)

That's a very good question! What's the answer?

Could you use flashjoystick so you can create a game in flash?

Thanks I was gonna ask that! :D
Flash is all I sort of know!

cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »

Just want to make a quick clarification: Will the displays be "always on" or potentially toggled? I'm asking to check if I will require some proper saving functionality to handle a high score table, or if I can just store it in a persistent array instead.

It will be always on ideally, but it's certainly possible the game could be turned off accidentally, the plug could get pulled out of the wall etc. So it's up to you.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »

Just want to make a quick clarification: Will the displays be "always on" or potentially toggled? I'm asking to check if I will require some proper saving functionality to handle a high score table, or if I can just store it in a persistent array instead.

It will be always on ideally, but it's certainly possible the game could be turned off accidentally, the plug could get pulled out of the wall etc. So it's up to you.

Related to this...

yup.
everything has to only use 1 button.
you cant use a d-pad to go in options and then its just one button when the game actually start.

all one button all the time.

oh yeah.

It seems like there might be an issue with people accidentally quitting games at the conference? I mean, in previous years games have used the Xbox 360 controller, and you had to hit escape to exit the game. This year it will be easier to quit the game, and you'll be able to use the controller to do so.

Would it be ideal to have the game run with a "-gdc" flag or something to disable accidentally quitting the game via the A button?

Edit: Oh, never mind. It looks like the A button doesn't need to exit.

Are we expected to provide a 'quit game' or 'restart game now' option? If so, can we put it on a separate button? Or should we just let the 5 minute timeout take care of it? On a similar note, would you prefer that a game lean towards being completed within 5 minutes on the first try, or are you fine with games that have some difficulty to them (the intent being that a player might not beat it on their first try, but they'd get a taste, be able to watch others play it, and maybe try again later and beat it)?

think if it as an arcade game. try to avoid menus. there's no need to quit the game to desktop during the game. of course, all that kind of stuff can be assigned to keyboard or whatever as debug functions, that's fine. just a start screen that waits for players to join is fine.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:27:45 PM by JamesGecko » Logged
Captain_404
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »

Does flashjoystick or any similar program support multiple controllers?
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »

Surely there will be a Keyboard somewhere (even if not presented to the guests).

I bound Esc to quit, and that's it  Tongue

Working on HeliBrawl
fucrate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

Anyone have a link for flashjoystick? The download link on the site seems to be broken.
dkoontz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2009, 04:19:27 AM »

This was asked a few pages back but never answered.  Are multiplayer-only games ok?  Will they be able to be evaluated with 3-4 players or would AI be required for the players who aren't present?
GOZU
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »

I've never entered one of these competitions before so pardon the ignorance if this is a silly question, but do we need to make a thread for our games so people can keep tabs on progress or do we just show up with a game and submit on the deadline?
blanko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2009, 01:13:17 AM »

Are we allowed to use the Xbox360 controller's rumble feature?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic