Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:31:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA IV
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA IV  (Read 104521 times)
moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2009, 07:44:46 AM »

This was asked a few pages back but never answered.  Are multiplayer-only games ok?  Will they be able to be evaluated with 3-4 players or would AI be required for the players who aren't present?

Yes that's fine.  No player-AI required.  When we evaluate the games we'll use as many players as needed, and there will be no shortage of players during GDC.

moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2009, 07:50:33 AM »

Surely there will be a Keyboard somewhere (even if not presented to the guests).

I bound Esc to quit, and that's it  Tongue

Right, the important thing is that the player only uses the one button while the game is running (which is supposed to be continuous, once it is launched).  The event organizers, volunteers, game creators, etc can of course use the keyboard for meta functionality like starting and ending the app.  While the game is running, the keyboard will be tucked out of the way.

cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »

Are we allowed to use the Xbox360 controller's rumble feature?

Rumble is not an input.
dkoontz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »

Will the controller that's used for evaluation/display be the wired 360 controller or are you using the wireless gaming receiver to support the wireless controllers?
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »

DIY one button controller schematics coming!

(oh, and it's a game port)

PS. I think I'll give this a try. 

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2010, 07:15:11 AM »

I don't think gameports "exist" anymore. Officially Microsoft stopped supporting them natively after XP (That is, if you're on Vista and bought an audio card which has a game port, the driver must be included by the manofacturer of the card)

Gutting a USB cheap controller is the best solution IMO.

Working on HeliBrawl
mude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »

I start today my game for gamma4  Well, hello there!

anybody is going to create an xna game? I'm afraid that my game can have some problems on other pc's (happens to the previous game)

cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »

Will the controller that's used for evaluation/display be the wired 360 controller or are you using the wireless gaming receiver to support the wireless controllers?
We use the wired ones for both. The wired controller is just a better way to keep the controller in the vicinity of the computer for the entire event.
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »

Hey, this is fantastic. I just have one question.

The maximum game resolution is 1024×768.

Would you prefer the game to run windowed, or can it be fullscreen as long as it fits in 1024 x 768? And for that matter, If I'm planning on making it 1024 x 768, should I make it fullscreen to ensure it all fits on the screen?

Thanks!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »

I know, I know! I know what to make, I'm in for good. Will start as soon as I finish my assemblee thingie. Hope 3 weeks is enough for my idea.

Oh, and question: can I use audio input as an optional alternative, or do I have to remove such feature from the compo entry.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »

Can we just include the fonts that must be installed to run the game in the zip or do we have to rely on the ones there?
Defcon6
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 06:14:47 PM »

This was proposed earlier in this thread and it didn't seem like anybody said no..

Would it be acceptable to design a physical one button controller to be used on floor at GDC? Imagine an excessively large button with a nice casing really emphasizing the simplicity of the interface. My game would obviously work with the 360 controller as the rules imply; however, I was thinking a more interesting button could add to the experience.
JiaLiLabyrinth
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2010, 09:11:06 AM »

Judging from the rules, I'm assuming music reaction games are not encouraged for this contest, since the gameplay cannot rely on audio so much?
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2010, 01:16:53 PM »

Judging from the rules, I'm assuming music reaction games are not encouraged for this contest, since the gameplay cannot rely on audio so much?

As much fun as "Morse Code Hero: Rock Out with Edison" seems like it would be, I was under the impression that we wouldn't have any audio out at all. Nothing that could be heard over the music blasting at the party, anyway.

I came up with a fairly detailed design for Morse Code Hero anyway. Wink
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »

The chosen games from this compo would make an awesome stand up Gamma Arcade box (choose your game Neo Geo style) with one fat button in the center Hand Any Key .  It could be a traveling exhibit in that form.  Kind of like that indie arcade box in Toronto.

Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »

oh man, I'm so excited for this. I literally just pitched the idea of getting a group of game designers together to make one button games for my school's Game Lab class (it didn't get accepted btw, but I went ahead and came up with a game anyway). Way to steal my thunder Gamma IV!
SpaceParanoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

How strictly enforced is the 5 Minute rule? I've just finished work on the game I'll be submitting, but it's unlikely a player would be able to finish the game in that time limit, and I'm at a loss for as to how I'd cut it down to fit that constraint.
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »

Maybe make it like a demo version of the game and release the full thing after the event.

ClydeArgyle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 09:37:54 AM »

How strictly enforced is the 5 Minute rule? I've just finished work on the game I'll be submitting, but it's unlikely a player would be able to finish the game in that time limit, and I'm at a loss for as to how I'd cut it down to fit that constraint.

Make a quick intro:

"The world is going to blow up in 5 minutes.

GO!"

Then start the game. At the 5-minute mark, quick explosion effect, back to title.

Problem solved. You're welcome.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »

Make a quick intro:

"The world is going to blow up in 5 minutes.

GO!"

Then start the game. At the 5-minute mark, quick explosion effect, back to title.

Problem solved. You're welcome.

Cheesy

Awesome Beer!

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic