Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:23:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dog and Bone are friends [FINISHED] (link fixed)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dog and Bone are friends [FINISHED] (link fixed)  (Read 11700 times)
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:06:29 PM »

2010-01-10 FINISHED! http://dai5ychain.net/dogandbone/

Server back up!  yay

"The Lost Vikings"-inspired platformer starring two dear friends: a dog and a skeleton.

Dog can jump and bark (to scare away birds). Bone can climb ladders and use magic.  They would like to hang out with you!

I'm using flixel - super fun! This is my first exposure to actionscript (I'm a python programmer professionally).

GRAPHICS
--------
+ Dog sprite by Fifth
+ Skeleton sprite & Tiles by Skab
+ Bird sprite by rpmoura
+ Background images by mr. mnml
+ Arrow graphics by Arachne

SOUND
-----
+ Dog bark sounds by /cheapshot
+ Action (jump/climb/magic) sound effects
   by Big Lons

MUSIC
-----
+ "Calm N Cute" by jrhill
+ "Storytime" by jrhill
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:22:44 PM by racter » Logged

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »

Too bad Fifth didn't do a digging animation for the dog, that could have come in handy here.
pgil
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:26:28 PM »

A dog and a skeleton are ridiculously cute misfit companions.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Great idea, though I hope that the dog's back legs aren't lost in the background too often.  Maybe you can adjust the tone/brightness of the background?

-PENCERKOFF

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »

Liking the lost vikings inspired gameplay!

No digging animation is necessarily needed. Having the dog's sprite bounce up and down can probably convey the same idea, with maybe a "DIG DIG" text over top to clarify what he's doing.

The dog and skeleton duo suggests all sorts of crazy co-op abilities they might use. Hopefully we will see some clever puzzles here!

-SirNiko
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:27:28 PM »

looks great, glad to see those amazing animations going to good use
Skab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:37:02 AM »

Beer!

HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »

Love the concept
racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »

Hey thanks for the comments Smiley I love the digging idea, hope I can work that in.

I'm getting closer to having a public demo ready.  Trying to figure out the best way to build levels right now - Flan looks ideal but it seems pretty buggy running under wine (I'm building this on linux).  I'll try it in a windows virtual machine & see if I get better results.  Anyone else using Flan on linux?

Also a Q for flixel people, what patterns do you follow when building multiple-level games?  Do you build separate FlxState subclasses for each level?  Or have some other state machine running within something like a PlayState?  I'll ask on the flixel forum also & write about my process here.

Meanwhile I am tracking my code on bitbucket - http://bitbucket.org/jakevsrobots/dog-and-bone-are-friends/ - not too much to see there yet but I'll keep pushing updates as I go.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »

Heh, what a cute team-up!

If you do need a digging animation, you could try the "pulling" one in reverse.
(Sorry there's no official animation for it...)
racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »

O Hai!  I have a demo!

http://dai5ychain.net/dogandbone/

It's just the 'tutorial' kinda levels, still pretty rough.  This has been a huge learning experience for me so far, as my first Flash project and the first game project I've gotten this far along with; planning to make it the first game project I actually finish Smiley

Source code is still all available in bitbucket: http://bitbucket.org/jakevsrobots/dog-and-bone-are-friends/

racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »

Oh, I forgot to ask -- any recommendations on music?  I was looking for something mellow and I do like this track, but it has kind of a sad feel. (edit: added some cuter music by jrhill Smiley )  Any recommendations for some mellow/quiet/happy music?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:40:26 PM by racter » Logged

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »

The concept is cute and works well, but you're right: the music is way too sad for something this cheery. Good start though, I can't wait to play the actual levels.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »

Shameless plug of one of my assets.

http://timeforcute.com/cute/2009/10/calm-n-cute.mp3

hi
racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »

Shameless plug of one of my assets.

http://timeforcute.com/cute/2009/10/calm-n-cute.mp3

Oh good call, that fits much better Smiley  Thanks!

ChiggenWingz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »

Nice, the puzzles are pretty cool from what you've got so far :D
Skab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 03:06:51 AM »

hehe, great job !

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 03:59:39 AM »

Cute, good basic mechanics. I dislike the linear interpolation of speeds when characters change directions or stop, especially for Bones. Does Flash not allow you to change sound volume (I shunt sounds to my stereo through a USB device, that as a side-effect disables the OS volume control)? I want some graphical feedback when Bones uses ancient statues, and that ancient artefacts would teleport wooden crates (which wouldn't have been there at the time they were erected) requires some explanation Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
racter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »

Does Flash not allow you to change sound volume (I shunt sounds to my stereo through a USB device, that as a side-effect disables the OS volume control)? I want some graphical feedback when Bones uses ancient statues

Right now you can control volume/mute in the 'pause' menu, but I'll add a mute button that's always visible; I hate it when browser-based games make it hard to turn the sound off too.

I added some better magickal feedback for the ancient statue effect & changed the sound to something spooky Smiley

and that ancient artefacts would teleport wooden crates (which wouldn't have been there at the time they were erected) requires some explanation Smiley

Oh, right!  "It's magic"  Wizard

Dag, making levels is hard!  I'm going to just focus on that from now until the end of the competition & not try to add more features beyond what's necessary.  I have 5 non-tutorial levels now, and I'm hoping to get around 15 by the deadline (I'm back at my 9-5 now also Cry ).  It'll be kind of a short+easy game in the end.

The biggest challenges for me in designing these levels I think are the restrictions I've placed on myself: players can't "die" and they also can't back themselves into a corner with no solution.

I probably won't update the link I posted again until pretty close to the deadline, but for the curious I am still pushing code changes to bitbucket pretty regularly:
http://bitbucket.org/jakevsrobots/dog-and-bone-are-friends/

Ok, back to work!

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »

This is fun! Really neat.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic