Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:52:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Backworld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Backworld [FINISHED]  (Read 52101 times)
Mocker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 11:41:50 AM »

I like the combination of the graphics and the interesting backworld/frontworld mechanic. This looks like it could be really elegant when everything comes together.

I code like the wind - the wind crashes many things
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »

Almost there! We'll be aiming to have something playable by saturday afternoon (UTC) and then update it with some music, new content and possibly some optimizations on sunday evening. I hope you all will like it =)

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 06:39:06 AM »

First public build downloadable!

Windows binary:
http://www.ekermo.se/proj/backworld_0_7.zip

... Please let us know what you think Smiley
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »

All done. See first post.

Also, we put up a video to wet your apetites;

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »

Wow, wow, WOW. This is great. I get serious Braid vibes playing this. So well executed, beautiful, ahhhhh  Tears of Joy

PS. Thank you for an OS X build  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:47:47 PM by jotapeh » Logged
hammedhaaret
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »

oh my.

this is brilliant. I will play this first thing tomorrow, if I can even sleep now.

Hand Thumbs Up Right hammedhaaret

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »

Wow. This is absolutely amazing! I'm loving every minute!
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »

Thanks, glad you like it =)

PS. Thank you for an OS X build  Hand Thumbs Up Right

This makes me especially happy since I spent some 4 hours fighting XCode in order to get it running, at the end of which I, frustrated and tired, thought "well, this was a waste of time since no-one is ever going to play this version".  Glad I was wrong  Tears of Joy
Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »

I'm also glad Smiley

Would be interesting to hear if any of you got stuck on particular levels (and such). Or maybe that discussion is better suited for the feedback forum later.

Also, big thanks to all you people who made the awesome assets that we used Smiley

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 01:32:18 AM »

This is really good. Just played for a few levels up to Cryptic Caves where I got a little stuck. Will play some more of it later. Think you've done a really good job of coming up with more than one interesting way of using a central mechanic. Very Nintendo, and that's a compliment.

Very pleased you did an OSX version, meant I could play it on my main machine. Even my comp entry was Windows only sadly.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »

This game doesn't work on my computer.  Probably because of the stupid INTEL integrated graphics chip.  Stupid computer.  I really wanted to try it out.

Sad

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »

This game doesn't work on my computer.  Probably because of the stupid INTEL integrated graphics chip.  Stupid computer.  I really wanted to try it out.

Sad

Saint will have to give you the tech. specifics, but you're right, it unfortunately doesn't work with Intel graphics. :/

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »

Actually what happened was that the game booted up fine, but the menu screen was black instead of the white that was in your screenshot, making it really hard to see what i was selecting.  Then when i started a level, the game stopped refreshing and then the character smeared across the screen.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »

One bit of feedback, I could have been doing something wrong but it seemed to me like your menu was controlled with the arrow keys but the game was controlled with WASD. Seemed odd.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »

Actually what happened was that the game booted up fine, but the menu screen was black instead of the white that was in your screenshot, making it really hard to see what i was selecting.  Then when i started a level, the game stopped refreshing and then the character smeared across the screen.

Huh. That is very odd.

I have not had the chance to test the game on any intel GMAs but it is true their GL drivers are kinda poor so I did not really expect it to work. It seems the hardware actually claims to support the features needed, though - otherwise it would give you an error message on startup. If I find a machine with a GMA I'll see if I can work around it, for now I'll just have to apologise Sad

Great music you did, by the way. If you got to the levels you might've at least heard "Precarious Precipitation" played on the map screen  Beer!

One bit of feedback, I could have been doing something wrong but it seemed to me like your menu was controlled with the arrow keys but the game was controlled with WASD. Seemed odd.

Yeah, I meant to make it so that you could control it with both - thought I did, too, but perhaps that was only for the map. Lack of time, etc.

Sorry!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »

I've only played a bit so far, but it seems really nice, and has got a lot of clever stuff going for it.

I am getting some odd graphical errors, though.  Mostly it's just an extra area on objects that's filled with garbage, but on the "floating cages" level there was an odd bug when painting:

I was trying to paint towards the center of the screen there.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »

I've only played a bit so far, but it seems really nice, and has got a lot of clever stuff going for it.

I am getting some odd graphical errors, though.  Mostly it's just an extra area on objects that's filled with garbage, but on the "floating cages" level there was an odd bug when painting:

I was trying to paint towards the center of the screen there.

Thanks for the compliments!

That does look kind of weird. What graphics card are you using? I really do not know what is up with the artefacts on the sprites, but the paint oddity I assume is due to floating cages not being 4-aligned... Does it happen on any other levels? Crazy Contraption, the Chase and Corridors are not 16-aligned, so it would be good to know if those are broken as well.

Again, I am sorry. The GL standard is kind of dodgy and driver engineers are sometimes a bit creative when following it.
hellboy1975
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:36 AM »

This game is cool.  Haven't played enough of the submissions to know if it'll get a vote yet, but certainly will make the shortlist!
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »

Really great game, guys. It's amazing what you managed to do in a month. You have my awe and my vote!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »

Thanks, both of you!

I'll leave most of the credits for the hard work to Saint though, who did all the programming. Smiley

Bitworld is really sweet also btw!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic