Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:15:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Tristan and Isolde
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tristan and Isolde  (Read 9116 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »

OK, so I'm taking the opportunity to try and learn AS3/Flixel, and as such need something hopefully undemanding to work on. As such, I'll be trying to put together an Advance-Wars-a-like using - you guessed it - Oryx's many little men. And DBB's land tiles, 'cause they're awesome.

(I'd vastly prefer stuff with at least a modicum of animation, and to be honest I'd rather not use them just 'cause everybody and their dog is, but there simply isn't any other set with a unified look and sufficient variety of characters.)

I expect that the AI will be rather lacking, so I'll probably end up setting all the stages up as "small band of good guys against the incredibly dumb hordes" scenarios, because I'd rather spend my time learning how to use Flixel than working too hard on a tactics AI. But hey, who knows? The enemies in Advance Wars never seemed incredibly smart anyway, so it might work out.

For now, I just have a Photoshop mock-up of how I envisage it looking, but hey - it's better than nothing, right?

(As to the title: well... I have a vague idea of a story I'd like to pin the stages together with, but who knows whether I'll get that far. If I don't I'll probably rename it something imaginative like "Little People Stabbing Each Other".)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:10:18 AM »

Awesome! I've always liked Advanced Wars. Good luck!  Beer!

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Pixelfish
Level 0

A fish load of pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

Awesome idea. Looks very promising.  Gentleman

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:20:34 AM »

Oh neat, consider me intrigued.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

very cool, I like the clumps of units
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »

For now, I just have a Photoshop mock-up of how I envisage it looking, but hey - it's better than nothing, right?

I made some progress! Not much, 'cause I'm just working on my laptop for half an hour a lunchtime. (I dropped my laptop down the stairs, today, but it survived because it's awesome.)

20091222 version

So far I've got the map displaying and scrolling around following the grid-aligned cursor square, units that dynamically display different numbers of people (I have no idea whether I'm doing that The Flixel Way™, multiple calls to super.render()...) and bob up and down independently. Next: statemachines and cursor interactions and stuff!

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:24:49 PM »

I really like the way they animate!

hi
Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:51:04 AM »

Assuming this was abandoned, or could it still be in production? I would love to see this finished just for it's own merit. Any chance of it surfacing in the future?
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »

I was really looking forward to this one!
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »

Assuming this was abandoned, or could it still be in production? I would love to see this finished just for it's own merit. Any chance of it surfacing in the future?

Chance: 100%!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=19032.0

By which I mean: I spent the last month and a bit actually getting around to making this game. I actually did it in Ren'Py rather than ActionScript, and it's got some non-Assemblee assets in it now, but in every important regard it's the game I was planning on making a year and a bit ago.

(I did think twice or maybe sixteen times about bumping this thread after so long, but I figure that there's at least a small chance people might come across this thread in the future and not know the answer to the above question. Or have thread subscriptions, or whatever.

I know, I know, I'm a raging attention whore. Tongue)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic