Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:51:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGame Dev Diaries: Mega Monster Mania
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Game Dev Diaries: Mega Monster Mania  (Read 18245 times)
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »

Late upload today, but anyway... after a lot of nagging I've updated the HUD to a degree so things aren't so... icky Smiley

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »

Sweet updates, today.  Smiley

The game is coming along nicely.
I realize that right now the map is mostly just to see how the generation came out, but it really could use a makeover if you plan on keeping it.

And I don't know how the game's control scheme works, but you might want to try letting the player zoom in and out as they please.

Also, don't be afraid to space out the HUD over the entire screen. Clumping everything together in one big corner is generally one of the worst things you can do.(imo)

Good luck!

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »

I realize that right now the map is mostly just to see how the generation came out, but it really could use a makeover if you plan on keeping it.

I can get impatient with environment art, but yea... along with "Fixing" the current tiles I plan to have more variety within levels as well. Lots of themes, ground that matches walls (tile floor with canyon walls? what's up with that?) and probably varying unique landscape details so that players don't suffer from "Every hall looks the same" syndrome.

And I don't know how the game's control scheme works, but you might want to try letting the player zoom in and out as they please.

Good idea, though the scale I have now is the current "max" it wouldn't hurt to let them zoom in if they want to do some art appreciation  Well, hello there!

Also, don't be afraid to space out the HUD over the entire screen. Clumping everything together in one big corner is generally one of the worst things you can do.(imo)

My HUD is very vertical. I don't think it's horrible (the map will be moving somewhere else entirely though). I like two things, keeping the HUD minimal, and centralizing information. Spreading the HUD over a large area makes the player move their eye around a lot to gain quick information. That's why I prefer putting it all together. Lots of Diablo-likes and some old FPSs tend to spread information across the bottom of the screen. It's a possibility but not something I'm jumping at right yet.

Also... it's Christmas Eve and I made another new episode! Started on the menus for the game. I've been feeling that "the longer you work on a project, the slower things start to go" syndrome. I think I need to re-evaluate my timelines and maybe do a big push soon, because I feel like at this rate I might be in trouble soon!

Oh yea, the link!

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »

Episode 14 is up.. vwoot map and menu stuff

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »

It's shaping up real nice man, but the menu is ass.

The first time I've seen that kind of interact-with-options-as-game-world-objects menu I thought it was cool, but when the novelty worn off all that was left was an obstacle between me and the actual gameplay.
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »

The first time I've seen that kind of interact-with-options-as-game-world-objects menu I thought it was cool, but when the novelty worn off all that was left was an obstacle between me and the actual gameplay.

It's a very minor obstacle (and stops players from needing a secondary set of controls just for the menu) and works in my mind for a game that you play locally with other people who may not be already familiarized with the game. In other words, very likely not something I'm going to be changing, sorry Smiley.

Episode 15 is up! Not all menus are running around, but these new menus are ugly. I've got the new weapon/armor/store equip screens more functional now so players can change their weapon loadouts between levels.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »

DAY 16?!!!
 Angry

Liked this so far, so carry on.
I check in regularly, and its a bit dissapointing to comeback to no updates.  Lips Sealed
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »

DAY 16?!!!
 Angry

Liked this so far, so carry on.
I check in regularly, and its a bit dissapointing to comeback to no updates.  Lips Sealed

I'm sorry, I've been working on some things for the release of Battle Beat since that's nearing the end of its review cycle, so I haven't had as much time for the new game. Later today I'll probably have a new Battle Beat trailer and maybe a new game dev diary. All this juggling is making me dizzy!

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »

Day 16 is up now... so sleepy... zzzz

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 12:32:04 AM »

Coffee
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »

Your weapons need to maybe stack, it doesn't make sense that the player is carrying 20x bows of the same kind.

Other then that it's looking cool.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »

Your weapons need to maybe stack, it doesn't make sense that the player is carrying 20x bows of the same kind.

Each "kind" of bow has a range of damages as well as elemental properties, so even if two bows or swords use the same graphic, they can vary greatly in strength and abilities. The graphics represent a "range" of damages, and also some behavior characteristics like how fast/far they shoot, or the range, angle, and speed of a sword. These characteristics need to be added to the equipment screens (there was no way of you knowing this info from the videos) but it does make many of the weapons different enough that stacking wouldn't work well.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »

I assume you gave yourself every item so that is why your inventory is so large.
Unless every time you kill a monster your given a weapon?

Maybe a smaller inventory could work so players have to pick the weapons they want to keep along the way.
Because a person cant carry 30 bows, and 50 swords.
Though I guess if you want to have a bunch of weapons and a huge scrolling vertical inventory then go for it.

Having that many items in your inventory is kind of like, pointless to me so many options to pick from when playing I'd realistically find the best 2-3 elemental items and just stick with them.
Since I would be less likely to use a weaker weapon when I find a new one.
Unless your weapons break thats lot of items to choose to really make weapon changing effective.

But thats just my opinion I could be wrong.

Think you could throw in some kind of keys?
Either to unlock doors or maybe chests?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:19:39 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »

The starting inventory is going to be 1 item, but per-level I think there may be a fair bit the player finds. I've been playing a lot of Torchlight and I do like how often you get payouts in that game.

I think I'm going to limit the inventory size to a certain number, then after each level the player chooses what they keep (when there's room) instead of choosing what to sell. Keep hard limits on how much they can hold. They do have incentives for more than 1 sword though, since different swords have different ranges and speeds, although one sword might do more damage, it may not get the same distance as a weaker sword, and some enemies are a lot safer to hit at a distance.

In terms of keys, I have a few ideas for stuff like keys and other items (physics traps, gemstone/multipart key puzzles) but it's in limbo as to whether I'll do them. I wanted to have a strict deadline and if these things have to get cut so I can be done sooner, that may happen.

Episode 17 is up... but with no new game video content! Optimizing isn't pretty enough! But I did comment about the inventory stuff.

Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »

Awesome job man! I just watched all 17 lol and the game is looking really fun!
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »

Episode 18's up! But... it's more optimizing. I hit a wall today when I found something that was slowing things down that was hard to get past knowing how much faster it could be

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »

Day 19 is up! Hopefully someone will be happy that they don't need to see those cavern walls anymore!

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 06:30:25 AM »

Look like fun !

the movement however .. is that how it's going to be ?
It feels to me it's very strange you being able to move every direction while facing every direction at every speed. if you know what i mean.
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of slowing down the player just because they are facing in the opposite direction of motion. I know some games do that to make retreating while attacking harder, but I think it works fine.

New day 20 up! Art.... going slow... must return to programming

Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »

Awesome work keep it up!

And yea I agree with keeping the movement the way it is because this game seems like a fun get-in-and-kill-crap game, especially with friends, so slowing down movement and making it more "realistic" might kill the feel of it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic