Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:22:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Underground
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Underground  (Read 11688 times)
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 05:18:00 AM »

I like dropbox myself because its awesome.

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 05:23:19 AM »

I have a dropbox, do you suppose that would be okay for hosting files for downloading by a few people? :O

Hrm, I'll do it and link it anyway haha, we'll see...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/552138/Assemblee/Underground.rar

Good luck in your downloading, fellows, haha.

There's a readme file in there for your knowing-wtf-to-do conveniance, niceties of popup-hints are not implemented yet (or in fact planned to be anytime soon Tongue)!

Edit:

Please let me know about any issues relating to getting it running, etc. I'm afraid I'm not used to distributing my programs on a scale larger than a couple of friends' PCs Tongue
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »

Wow, I just spent way too much time exploring lol.

hi
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 12:25:41 PM »

Works great for me, looking cool.
The digging interface seems odd(hitting 2 buttons)
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »

I spent way too long exploring too :p

The sound and music were a good choice, they give the game a lot of atmosphere.

Oh, and are you going to implement the border tiles at some point? I guess the problem is that they have to change when you dig out a section and stuff, so it would be something to do later.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »

It runs okay (XP, radeon 9700ish). Movement feels a bit fiddly; the reason seems to be that if you are, say, going left and start pressing, say, up before you have got to the end of the current block going left, then nothing happens.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 01:00:10 PM »

Yeah, movement was kind of unresponsive and fiddly sometimes.

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »

Wow, I just spent way too much time exploring lol.

Haha, you know, that's a really big problem when you're supposed to be the one developing it Tongue

"I'll just check everything's in ord..e...r...... *10 minutes later* ... okay that was fun. What was I doing again? Oh well. Let's look at the code and... check... it.. agaaaiiiin...."

Works great for me, looking cool.
The digging interface seems odd(hitting 2 buttons)

And yeah, the digging interface seems random right now, but that's because I wanted to have an excuse to make actions modular instead of hacking in digging, so now that I've done the digging one, that menu is now available for me to add any actions into a ready made framework - so that menu will have more options at some stage (eat?sleep?talk?etc).

I spent way too long exploring too :p

The sound and music were a good choice, they give the game a lot of atmosphere.

Oh, and are you going to implement the border tiles at some point? I guess the problem is that they have to change when you dig out a section and stuff, so it would be something to do later.

The music for the title screen was a must, if I'm honest, I was browsing the forum, heard that music and just fell in love with it for no readily explainable reason - and it was called "I want to be the title.ogg", I couldn't deny it. The music for in-game was quite suited and I was surprised that I found both the songs I needed in one thread, haha. Luck!

As for border tiles... that is an aesthetic I'll deal with later. I've got nothing done today and if I'm honest tomorrow I have java coursework to document (ugh >_>) and some coursework to do for one-of-those-subjects-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-your-course-but-are-for-"broadening-your-knowledge".

Both of which I should really stop procrastinating over, so I think I should deal with those, before I can even consider doing any more coding - and then that's a way off worrying about aesthetic things Tongue.

Good point, though, I will hopefully look into it at some point :3

Overall, I'm glad it's working for everyone, and that it has some measure of entertainment. Hopefully the more 'gameplay' elements will come into place as I get the inventory and hunger/thirst implemented.

Thanks for testing it for me :D.

Edit to account for post being posted while replying XD:

It runs okay (XP, radeon 9700ish). Movement feels a bit fiddly; the reason seems to be that if you are, say, going left and start pressing, say, up before you have got to the end of the current block going left, then nothing happens.

Yeah, thanks for testing, the movement is a bit of a pain. I've already spent a little while trying to fix that, and due to the nature of this project (throwing stuff together to get a result instead of code neatness) little changes affect other things in unexpected ways - and so far my attempts to make the movement smoother as you described keep causing collision detection to fall apart.

If I get some time towards the end I think I'll go back and address the issue with some new fixes I've got in mind but I don't want to waste time considering my last two attempts to fix it probably ate up about an hour or two of getting nowhere Tongue
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »

And yeah, the digging interface seems random right now, but that's because I wanted to have an excuse to make actions modular instead of hacking in digging, so now that I've done the digging one, that menu is now available for me to add any actions into a ready made framework - so that menu will have more options at some stage (eat?sleep?talk?etc).
Maybe as well as the menu you could have hotkeys like in an oryxroguelike?

You would still be able to access everything from the menu, but the keys would be a quicker way of accessing the commands.

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »

A good idea, I might go for this.

Hurrah for feedback! :D
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »

I found it a bit odd that I could encounter a water stream that starts flowing into other zones, just by walking. Maybe if it wasn't a dig it would just be a puddle or something? Like it so far though, the generate as you go works well. I like how the new tiles fade in.

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 03:26:11 AM »

Hrm, well, i'm not sure exactly how to combat that - a good observation though...

I can only think (perhaps temporarily) that a solution could be to make tiles only probably of appearing two-tiles away from you, so there's a good probability of there being a wall between you and the water - which would make it seem more logical that digging through that wall would release the water.

Alternatively I could go about making it so that when creating walls there's a chance of it being tagged as causing a water tile to appear if you dig through it, and having that graphically represented as having a slightly blue tint as a warning?

Not sure which to go with at the moment, but it'd probably involve me adding a few touches to the random generation to allow for such a thing... or I could hack it in somewhere, ha, we'll see Tongue
PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 07:07:31 AM »

Right-y ho! I am back from the land of many-coursework.

What fruits do I bear from my voyage? I will tell you, good sir!

AN INVENTORY SYSTEME OF OLDDE POWAR:

AND, THE ABILITEE TO PLACETH ITEMS SUCH AS WALLS THOU HAST DUGGETH:

I was "beta testing" the wall placement stuff and got, er, distracted... <_< >_>.

I think next is hunger, presumably after making the game account for items being on the floor... maybe. We'll see how this pans out. Heh. Will make latest version downloadable later! :O

ALSO I have implemented short-cut keys for the action menu (not that it tells you what they are, but that'll be done in a moment or so I figure! :O), so now you can either ninja-short-cut-key for great justice... or admire my not-so-fantastic-looking action menu. Either way, hurrah for user feedback!

Edit:
Fixed image tags
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:24:33 AM by PiedotTaste » Logged
mizipzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »

Im beginning to digg this.

Get-it?  Durr...?

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:13 AM »

Ohoho, good Sir with your merry wit!

I indeed got the joke which you summoned there for +12 laughter!
PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »

Hurrah, and lo', there was digging dirt to make it capable of bearing crops and there were crops to bear in suitable dirt, and it was good...

I changed my mind about water, it no longer will kill you or anything, I have decided instead that it would be far better to make it so that water of a certain depth ('darkness') will wipe out any crop that it comes into contact with! D: DUNDUNDUN!

This is because the (rather lame) method of generating the world means there's a good chance of you going "I just step forward an- OH GOD I'M DROWNING WHAT THE HELL;laskfja;slf"... so this avoids that somewhat.

Woohoo! So yes. Now to add hunger/eating and dropping things you don't want! D:
PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:51 AM »

Mwahahaha, and now there is eating and a HUNGER BAR! It's like a cereal bar but 2D, red, and made in 10% increments. WOW! Buy one now get one free!

I'm on the EAT Menu, there, and I'm choosing a CROP to eat (delicious CROP goodness!).

Then...

Oh my! Truly what wonders! The hunger bar has indeed halved! It's almost like it was FATE!

Now, I think it's time for some wandering AI or something...? How on Earth is that going to work? o_o; Hrm... this could get silly fast.

Over and out o7.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 01:48:01 AM »

Coming along nicely! I like the idea of managing crops.

PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:15 AM »

Currently crops aren't too hard to 'tend' in so much as, you place them, they will stay there unless flooded by water and in order to grow more you can either forage about and find some (finite, you might say) or dig ground into brown 'tilled' (?) squares which when adjacent to a fully fertile crop will become crops themselves (crops start at fertility 0 and increase by 1 every second up to 20, which, if they can spread, they will spread to all four adjacent tiles before resetting to fertility 0! :O).

I currently have it so simple because, I was thinking, I could make crops rare and hunger increase slowly, or have crops easy and hunger moderately quick (1% hunger every 1 second, one bar every 10 seconds on the HUD).

However, I think that moderately quick with 1% hunger a second and fairly common Crops balances well with the fact I plan to make AI get hungry and die of hunger, too, in which case you have to look after them, as well... although I'm thinking of making AI moderately self sufficient by automatically digging ground to 'tilled' tiles when they take food... so they don't screw up your farming plots or something!

:O
PiedotTaste
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »

Hey look, you can lose now!

BUT WAIT! There's more! I've started work on... the AI! *thunder clap*

Currently the 'AI' (loosely phrased, here) is pretty lame. It just wanders about. The spawning of AI is just the same as tiles, random chance as you get there, which kind of sucks but I'm hoping to think of a better way at some point (perhaps start you with two AI and let them... *ahem*... and perhaps some kind of family system would be (worryingly) introduced XD?).

Yes, they are both faceplanting a wall, this is due to a bug I have just fixed but have no intention of re-screen-shot-ing over Tongue

Now to make AI die of hunger! Then to make them feed themselves and re-dig the spot they ate from... more intelligence will have to come later I feel?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic