Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:07:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2The King, the Queen and the Jester (first-person dungeon crawler) [FINISHED*]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The King, the Queen and the Jester (first-person dungeon crawler) [FINISHED*]  (Read 59700 times)
Hat Galleon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »

I assumed that a death/death sequence hadn't been programmed in yet. If it is a bug, then yeah, it's a minor problem.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Oh, very nice.  This is already fun.  I haven't a clue what all your symbols mean, but I assume you'd have some in-game descriptions?

I have no idea what constitutes a turn in your game.  I, too, had trouble until I learned about the space-bar, but I feel like taking an action like swinging a sword should just automatically be a turn.  Seemed odd not knowing you had a half-turn left (or whatever it really was).

It would be nice to know when you're in combat, because I thought the game froze until I noticed a creature next to me. 

My only other suggestion would be on movement.  Seems pointless to include the side-stepping if turning your head doesn't take up time in your turn-based world.  And if it does take time, maybe you should consider making it "free".

Hope that helps some, very cool game so far.

-PENCERKOFF

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »

An onscreen indicator of how many action points you have would be good to have, I agree. I didn't feel like I missed it too much. I was a bit confused when it stopped letting me use my dagger until I noticed it was broken, it should be grayed out or something to indicate this.

Other than those minor issues, this is oozing with style and a lot of fun. Is there a way to get those cool weapons at the beginning? I found the switch but couldn't hold it down.

Really nicely put together game!

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »

Sweet game so far!

Noticed that though there is a distance check on picking up weapons, you can swap weapons a lot farther away. (i.e. to get the fire sword/ice axe)  Not really sure if this was intended or not.

hi
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

Nice, lots of useful information guys! Sorry for not posting some instructions for this build, I was in a hurry when I posted this yesterday so I forgot to prepare a README with some basic directions.

One quick suggestion: When you have no "actions" left, your turn should end automatically, it took me a bit to figure out I had to press Space.

I thought on implementing something like that but the problem is that the only case where there is no remaining action is when you are completely surrounded and I don't think this is going to be a frequent situation on the game. But I agree that this is something I should tell the player indicating somewhere on the screen that he can end the turn by clicking something or pressing space.

Fun!  I didn't die when I was reduced to 0 hp, though (even though monsters kept damaging me, it stayed at 0.)  Is this a feature of the beta for bugtesting, or is it a bug?

Also, I ran out of weapons for a while.  Luckily I was able to find the Ice Axe and Fire Sword, but should the player perhaps have some way to attack even without a weapon?  Of course, perhaps dying when you run out of weapons is part of the game...

You can't die in this build since I'm using it for testing and I didn't want to restart the game each time I died during the tests. Concerning the lack of weapons, I still need to decide if the player will have some kind of weapon with infinite durability. I can see the game-breaking situation of the player having no weapons and saving his game with no way to continue. I don't want this to happen so I'll try to come up with something for the release version.

I have no idea what constitutes a turn in your game.  I, too, had trouble until I learned about the space-bar, but I feel like taking an action like swinging a sword should just automatically be a turn.  Seemed odd not knowing you had a half-turn left (or whatever it really was).

It would be nice to know when you're in combat, because I thought the game froze until I noticed a creature next to me. 

My only other suggestion would be on movement.  Seems pointless to include the side-stepping if turning your head doesn't take up time in your turn-based world.  And if it does take time, maybe you should consider making it "free".

Thanks for the feedback! This really helps me since this tells me I still need to work on the interface to give more useful information to the player. I tried to indicate the change of turns using the stone on the bottom right corner of the screen but I think it doesn't work very well on grabbing the player attention when the turns change or when battle starts. I'll try to add a glowing effect accompanied by a sound effect and maybe some text to better indicate the turn changes.

The battle system and the turn changing dynamics really needs some explanation and I should insert some kind of in-game tutorial for the final version. If you want to know more about it, I posted a detailed explanation on my devlog here: jefrsilva.wordpress.com. If you prefer I can repost it here but since it is a bit long I'll do it on another reply.

An onscreen indicator of how many action points you have would be good to have, I agree. I didn't feel like I missed it too much. I was a bit confused when it stopped letting me use my dagger until I noticed it was broken, it should be grayed out or something to indicate this.

Other than those minor issues, this is oozing with style and a lot of fun. Is there a way to get those cool weapons at the beginning? I found the switch but couldn't hold it down.

Yes I should indicate better when the player can still act and yes you there is a way to reach the weapons visible on the first room. Try using your items to interact with the switch you found on the first room. I can also tell you that there are illusionary walls that hide some passages on the dungeon (maybe you can find new weapons or a more powerful enemy hidden somewhere).

Noticed that though there is a distance check on picking up weapons, you can swap weapons a lot farther away. (i.e. to get the fire sword/ice axe)  Not really sure if this was intended or not.

Congratulations you found a bug! Cheesy
Somehow I limited the distance for picking items but forgot to limit the distance for swapping them. Thanks for finding it!

To finish the long reply, I should tell you that it is entirely possible to finish this build with some health remaining if you understand the battle system. I should also tell you that there are some hidden weapons and a hidden final room for those who like to explore. My personal record is finishing the whole mini dungeon with 9 points of health remaining. Can you beat it?
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »

looks great Smiley

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »

Now that I have some hints on how to play (I beat the Lich with 6hp left) I still have to say that I don't really get how the Charging Sword works, and if there's a green elemental weapon I haven't found it.

Other than that I had a blast so far.

hi
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »

It's like Ultima Underworld with bigger pixels! Kiss
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

More Eye of the Beholder than UUW really.  Wink
Attribute Clash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 04:39:03 AM »

That's great! Back into the Abyss! ))

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 05:05:32 AM »

It's going 2 spf (seconds per frame) on me.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »

I just played through the demo. It seems like this has a lot of potential.

I'm curious about one thing- what is the order in which actions resolve? It seems that if we attack a monster, our attack resolves before the monster's next attack. But if we move, it seems as though the monsters' attacks resolve before we move. Is this an anti-retreating rule?

Keep up the good work.
chischis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »

This looks fantastic...

But to be honest, I'd be more interested if you had any plans to add modding support?  It'd be great to have a pre-made RPG engine like this ready to make quests, dungeons and graphics for.  (Yes, I'm still desperate for Ultima Underworld 3... open underworlds are more interesting than open "overworlds" IMHO)

Mouselook, WSAD controls and "click to attack" options would be awesome too, would make it feel less "turn-based".  Maybe also varying ceiling heights, and 45-degree walls?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:02:08 AM by chischis » Logged
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »

Competition version finished!

Updated the first post with the finished competition version. It contains the first 2 levels of the game and unfortunately I couldn't finish implementing the save system. I tried to keep these levels easy and not too long so that you can complete it without the need of saves.

I included most of the assets I intend to use on the zip even if they aren't in the game yet. I also added credits for all artists on the title screen and on a readme file. (Thanks for the great assets!)

It's going 2 spf (seconds per frame) on me.

I still need to do some optimizations on the rendering code but I didn't expect it to be so low. The worst graphics board I had access to test it was an Intel GMA 950 on an old notebook I had and the game ran at 60fps so I guessed it would do fine on most cards.

I just played through the demo. It seems like this has a lot of potential.

I'm curious about one thing- what is the order in which actions resolve? It seems that if we attack a monster, our attack resolves before the monster's next attack. But if we move, it seems as though the monsters' attacks resolve before we move. Is this an anti-retreating rule?

Keep up the good work.

Yes, it is something like an anti-retreating rule. I didn't want the players to kite enemies indefinitely around the dungeon without some kind of penalty.

This looks fantastic...

But to be honest, I'd be more interested if you had any plans to add modding support?  It'd be great to have a pre-made RPG engine like this ready to make quests, dungeons and graphics for.  (Yes, I'm still desperate for Ultima Underworld 3... open underworlds are more interesting than open "overworlds" IMHO)

Mouselook, WSAD controls and "click to attack" options would be awesome too, would make it feel less "turn-based".  Maybe also varying ceiling heights, and 45-degree walls?

That would be great but I'm afraid I would have to change a lot of the code to allow some of these suggestions. I don't even have a graphical tool for editing the game maps yet. The best thing I can do is release the full source code when the game is finished so that someone can try to do these cool things.
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »

I get an 'application cannot intialize error' when I attempted to run it.
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »

Can you tell me what is your operational system? Some machine specs would be really useful too. Thanks!
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:27 AM »

XP 64, running an Nvidia 9800 GTX.  AMD Phenon II quad core.  4 gigs of ram.  It doesn't seem to load anything, as soon as I hit the exe the MessageBox with the error pops up.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »

Great game, really nice level of polish so far. Looking forward to eventual saving and more dungeon variety.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »

Ditto to oryx.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

I want to play the forest level more than I want to play any other Assemblee entry right now.  I'm just saying.

hi
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic