Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:45:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2(Cosmic Unleasher)a playable level(I'll work more.later..)..(Hiatus..)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: (Cosmic Unleasher)a playable level(I'll work more.later..)..(Hiatus..)  (Read 19334 times)
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?wncfttmtko3
if this don't work i'll try later....
also the shooting is not working right but when the shuriken hits the fire ball they make an energy thing...well....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:17:00 PM by Joaquim » Logged

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »

Just played it through as far as I could get. Really nice premise, though the gameplay is very hard... I don't think I could've made it past the first level if not for Game Maker's built in save/load (F5/F6). I got stuck at the end when I saved after jumping the ninja off the ledge to the ship. And this was after I had painstakingly walked everyone to the garden, since I thought that was the exit and didn't know there was a ship to the right.

I noticed the collision issues you were talking about, especially with the dragon, and it feels like it is being caused by changing her mask around. To keep objects from getting stuck, it's usually best to keep an object's mask a constant size and square. In general, characters' masks felt a little large, making it hard to do some of the jumping sections. If you want an example of a typical mask size/shape, I provided some sample masks to use in the dragon's sprite sheet (one for standing and one for crouching). Even though the mask doesn't perfectly fit the character's changing sprite, keeping the mask a constant shape prevents characters from getting stuck in walls.

Also, I found the controls a little hard to use. The numpad for the three characters works well, but insert-home-pageup to switch was a bit confusing (my keyboard has them in a completely separate block than the numpad). Maybe you could just have it so jumping with a character also switches the view to them? Also, bare in mind that many laptops don't have a numpad. You may want to provide an "alternate" key for every key.

It's very easy to make alternate keys. Hell, just throw this code into some character's create event...
Code:
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad7,ord("U"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad8,ord("I"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad8,ord("O"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad4,ord("H"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad5,ord("J"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad6,ord("K"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad1,ord("B"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad2,ord("N"))
keyboard_set_map(vk_numpad3,ord("M"))
.. and it will make U, I, O, H, J, K, B, N, M function just like the numpad, in case the person's keyboard has no numpad.

Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 03:14:30 AM »

hehehe guess some dialogues may help people find the way...trough the level...(have to make it)
also I put the code and...kind of didn't work...(going to see what is wrong for the keyboard stuff)
I'll try putting health...I wasn't able to make the 3rd part (that's lame) I died
hundred times(going to make some kind of health bar...) also when ninja monkey shoot shuriken at his enemy he destroy all ninja enemies(how can I fix it?)
(I guess is so hard cause each time I made something wrong I make the game a little more difficult...)
I think I just fixed the collision....(no I did not)(also on the end of the 3rd part you got to put the 3 char on the space ship.)
(and if no one make assemble fighting game I'll make it some day now I'm sick of game maker)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:28:28 AM by Joaquim » Logged

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »

also when ninja monkey shoot shuriken at his enemy he destroy all ninja enemies(how can I fix it?)
This used to confuse me too when I started. If you tell the game "destroy ninja enemy", it will destroy all ninja enemies. Instead, in the ninja enemy's collision with the shuriken, tell the enemy to destroy self.

Other things that sound like they might be causing problems for you, but I'm not sure:
-If you want firing direction to be based off the character's direction, you can look at their sprite to tell what direction they are facing. Like, use a conditional statement to check if "sprite_index = ninjamoneyright" (or whatever you called his right sprite), and if so, create a shuriken that moves right (there's a "create with a direction" drag-and-drop, I think).
-If you have trouble getting the dialogue to move with the view, the line "view_xview[0]" and "view_yview[0]" act as the X and Y position of the view (its upper left hand corner). So, you could draw text at view_xview[0]+10,view_yview[0]+10 and it would always be ten pixels from the upper left hand corner of the view.

Overall though you are doing extremely well for your first game ever.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »

Overall though you are doing extremely well for your first game ever.
This times a million.

hi
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

well here go a little more now I changed
commands are in numpad and change the char when you jump(is better like that)
also the collision is a better(I guess) also the attack are on up down left they attack at same time(melee attack are not really working ) also space  restart level enter skip the cutscenes.(donkey skin is not hit by some enemies)
oh in the third part you got to make the shuriken and the fireball hit each other and it generates a "explosion" that kill the last enemy)

further information: to go next level all char have to be alive if they die you won't be able to go next level.
end when they get in the space ship.
(didn't made the sound when jumping and etc cause I tried sometimes and failed)
(also enemy AI is an important thing got to learn it later)
(and the dialogues I had a lot of trouble, and errors)
also should made a list of the stuff I used....and add some blood to the game
HERE IS THE LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?dnmmimydodm

I will work after the assemble finish re-design the levels(I liked the chars and everything)is it ok?

(should I post it on finished?)

special thanks to:
Kazerad
jrhill
pgil
(who helped me solve some problems)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:47:44 AM by Joaquim » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »

Liked: Reminded me a lot of Lost Vikings with the mixed ability characters.

Disliked: The controls are terrible. I don't own a keyboard with a numpad so had to assign the keys to others. The jumping didn't feel at all right. I kept falling down the cracks and having to start again. It wasn't always clear what I was meant to be doing.

Conclusion: I can see what this game was going for, and given more time to iron out a few of the problems I'm sure I'd have really liked this one. As it is though it falls some way short.

Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »

I've been making tests many tests....(health, AI,etc)
guess I should fix jumping collision also control and the important things before start others...) first....but...
should I keep working in this one?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »

I say yeah, at least until you have something else to work on!

hi
chaosking2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »

This looks like it could be a awsome game! Wink But playing it I find it annoying that I can't get the other characters out of their cells. Only the monkey can go places. Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic