Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:39:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Turbo Quest [FINISHED] (Further updates in Devlog Thread)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Turbo Quest [FINISHED] (Further updates in Devlog Thread)  (Read 29439 times)
Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »

Turbo Quest is a /very/ pared down RPG concept inspired by Linear RPG, Half-Minute Hero, etc.
...also maybe a little Gauntlet

The DIY bugfix has been incorporated into the main release as of 2/7/10.

[WARNING: DESIGNER RAMBLING ABOUT STUFF FOR A WHOLE PARAGRAPH. SKIP BELOW FOR LINKS AND PICS]
Turbo Quest is an RPG. Sort of. Rather, it's a game that pretends to be an RPG, but in reality is more of a fast-paced RTS. Or maybe it's an RPG that mostly plays itself, I'm not really sure. You can choose your class, move freely around, decide when to conserve magic, and...that's about it, really. Even though 'combat' never actually takes place, you can see enemies falling all around you. Even though the world is composed entirely of boxes, lines, gauges, and text, there are still geographic areas with their own names, and they all contain the creatures expected to inhabit them. It's sort of a game that, though completely lacking in depth and interaction, still gives the appearance of detail and thought inherent in a more traditional style of game.
[END RAMBLING]

ASSETS CURRENTLY USED (GOD IT'S ABOUT TIME ISN'T IT?):
[in order of saturation]
Oryx - The windows used for just about everything, the pixel font used for all the non-title writing, and most importantly, the PARTICLES.
HED - Supreme Gauges used for nearly everything.
im9today - Rad low-res monster things used for Campaign Icons.
Wyvern - Epic tunes used for Epic Background Music.
pgil & -N - Excellent Title Words used as TITLE WORDS!

The structure of the game itself is heavily modifiable, and able to support multiple styles of campaign. Campaigns, nodemaps, and even the random name set are all stored in external .txt files.

[Turbo Quest is Windows only.]

Competition Version available here.

Latest development build can be found in this devlog thread.

Includes level, campaign, and name file format documentation, as well as a chart for enemy graphic numbers.

Uses arrow keys and enter. Space toggles HUD contents. C toggles magic. Shift changes hero graphic.

Made the deadline!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:02:36 PM by Vulf » Logged

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »

Finished the functions for reading level data from a file. Made the level data more legible. Basic PC that can't even walk yet. Learned that strings start at index 1 instead of 0. Facepalm

Still nothing graphical to show off yet, I should probably make an effort towards that pretty soon.

HanClinto
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »

Sounds funny and meta. Smiley
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:33:44 PM »

I always love these super stripped down, bare essentials games.

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »

Finally have something visual to put here. I thought it would take some explaining to interpret so I drew on it.

These nodes were all generated from a single text file. There will eventually be more stuff on the screen, such as a HUD for the hero and some possible BG effects, but this is the basic look of the game right now.

yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

This looks to be wicked cool. You should make it an MMO. Who, Me?

Err, I mean, uh, you should have each zone get a (randomly generated?) Generic Fantasy Location style name -- The Forest of Memory or The Black Fields or Froststone Castle or some such.
Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »

Running into expected difficulties with movement. But no one can stop the Farm Assemblee Pioneer.
Put in the labels for the rate bars, which now reflect actual values rather than being mostly empty all the time.

...you should have each zone get a (randomly generated?) Generic Fantasy Location style name -- The Forest of Memory or The Black Fields or Froststone Castle or some such.

Yes.

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »

Wow, been a while since I updated this. Last week happened SO MUCH, I hardly got anything done. Until a couple days ago, when I got started on this again.

As shown in the picture (I forgot to draw on this one), there is now an HUD (which toggles between HP/MP and stat display and includes class, level, portrait, and XP/Next with bar). That empty bit on the right is for the campaign goal (Remaining time, nodes cleared, target level/node, etc.). Running out of either HP or MP triggers currently empty events, and with enough XP you gain a level and your stats increase.

Nodes now have two 9-character lines for a name, which currently defaults to gibberish but won't in the future. They can also display whether they are a town, or whether they have been cleared.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »

Nice progress! I love how modular it is sounding. You could make several themed games, like a final fantasy version, or an oblivion version! Or how about fallout? All you have to do is change a few names Smiley

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »

...You could make several themed games, like a final fantasy version, or an oblivion version! Or how about fallout? All you have to do is change a few names Smiley

This is exactly why I put all the content into external files. I'll explain the formats once I make it to alpha. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

PROGRESS! The core system of the game is in place, but hasn't been adjusted to scale with the player, you can't die, toggling magic does nothing, and towns don't heal you. Random name generation is in and works, as far as I can tell. The size of the game now adjusts to fit the map, which means I can test larger layouts than 3x3 now.  I also started to feel claustrophobic about the deadline yesterday, which means more updates and faster progress. Hooray?

ASSEMBLEE OR BUST Hand Any KeyMock AngerHand Joystick

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »

Hand Shake LeftEpileptic Moving very fast today. Morale improves.

Randomly generated names now come from another external file, which should be fun to mess around with. I just filled it with generic stuff for now.

I finally got around to making improvements to the movement system (same effect, half the code), and putting in the flow restriction code. Now the player can't just run off wherever he wants right from the start, so I can get a gauge on how long it takes to do things/get places.

Nodes you haven't discovered (more than 1 step from a cleared or town node) are now invisible, which makes more sense than before.

Alpha should be ready in a couple days. (maybe Christmas?)

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:53:32 AM »

you should have each zone get a (randomly generated?) Generic Fantasy Location style name -- The Forest of Memory or The Black Fields or Froststone Castle or some such.

No! I like the boiled-down-to-sheer-essentials! If you actually name the regions into something fantasy-ish then you'd remove from your commentary! I'd even enjoy attributes named "grind factor", "multiplier", "progress", "remainder" in stead of strength, bonus, XP, HP etc etc, and something similar for "Rangers", "Warriors" and other stereotypes.

"Stereotype Quest: The Search for the Optimal Winning Strategy"

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »

you should have each zone get a (randomly generated?) Generic Fantasy Location style name -- The Forest of Memory or The Black Fields or Froststone Castle or some such.

No! I like the boiled-down-to-sheer-essentials! If you actually name the regions into something fantasy-ish then you'd remove from your commentary! I'd even enjoy attributes named "grind factor", "multiplier", "progress", "remainder" in stead of strength, bonus, XP, HP etc etc, and something similar for "Rangers", "Warriors" and other stereotypes.

"Stereotype Quest: The Search for the Optimal Winning Strategy"

Well, the random name list is openly editable, so you can change it to suit whatever theme you want.

As for the stat names, etc., there'll probably be an option for that somewhere.

There's really not a lot to this game that you can't change, apart from the underlying mechanics.

[[Menus are tough to make, not sure whether the alpha will be out by Free Loot Day.]]

EDIT: Menus are as done as they need to be, but since I won't be able to work on this until Saturday, I'm going to try and make it look presentable in under an hour as a pre-alpha. A completely unbalanced, special effectless, pre-alpha.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:09:49 PM by Vulf » Logged

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »

Pre-Alpha now available. I think maybe now I can get some rest and enjoy Christmas Eve or something. Lips Sealed

Get the pre-alpha here: http://www.zshare.net/download/70306970b4a12f00/

Arrows to move, Enter to select, Space to toggle HUD contents, Shift to cycle through hero graphics.

note: I included campaign and node file format documentation in the pre-alpha package. Go crazy and make something cool.

EDIT: Things that don't function or are wrong in the pre-alpha:

There is no help.
The second and third options do nothing.
The damage, xp gain, and gp gain are hardcoded, do not scale with the player, and are not reflected by the bars on the nodes.
It's really short.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:38:55 AM by Vulf » Logged

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:31:53 AM »

Very very very good.

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »

Pre-Alpha Addendum: I kind of forgot to mention a couple of things in the documentation file/ about the pre-alpha.

1. Refrain from using punctuation in the "word" parts of the files for now, it's mapped a bit weird because I didn't have a full font to work with (e.g. use ^ to get ').

2. There's no backing out once you choose to start a game, you have to either keep going or quit.

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »

I began work on the particles, but they do not appear in-game yet.

I will try to get an asset credit list up soon. I've gone without one for long enough, these people deserve credit.

I also added 46 nodes to the map. My brain hurts. Crazy

Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »

Particles work and appear in-game.

Little graphical effects added here and there. It's nice to be so far along I can start to concentrate less on making things work and more on making them look good. Just about everything left is either a graphical or sound effect or another point of customization for the player/level designer, so I'm feeling pretty good about having this done in time.

HED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »

Whoa it's like Progress Quest on steroids ^^ The editable files are also a big plus. 
(and since you're using my olskool power meters, i like your game even more  Beer!)
Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 11:22:52 PM »

Re-did particles differently because of some very...odd bugs...

Have the counting-upward time-trial timer working, countdown time-limit version soon. (Will require a one-line addition to the nodefile format)

Also did a little more work on little graphical effects. I realized there's not much (any) graphical feedback to the player at all while playing this game, and that is a bad thing. This is made even more apparent by my missing things happening in my own game. Yeah.

Whoa it's like Progress Quest on steroids ^^ The editable files are also a big plus.  
(and since you're using my olskool power meters, i like your game even more  Beer!)

The main difference is you can beat PQ while playing TQ, but not the other way around.
EDIT: Progress Quest is still more interactive than Idle, though.

Those meters appear onscreen more at a time than anything else (fonts excluded). Sorry I scaled all but one down so far you can't see the dithering. But that one is the most important so it should be fine.  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWink

Now I really need to get that asset list up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:05:18 AM by Vulf » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic