Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:17:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWargame project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wargame project  (Read 2180 times)
megas
Level 0

Lorem Ipsum!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2009, 01:58:33 AM »

Hi all,

Me (Aleksei Rovenski) and my friend (Andrei Zavidei) are developing a turn based strategy greatly influenced by the famous Warlords series. It may visually resemble Warlord a bit, but there is much more under the hood. We haven't come up with any name for the game yet. The game does have problems and balance issues. Nevertheless it is quite playble (we do it all the time), though at the moment only by Hot Seat or PBeM (by email). One of the questions you could help us to figure out is where should be go from now - implement a network multiplayer or maybe rather single player campaign? Or maybe something crucial is missing or the game is too unstable?

We have created a homepage for the project - http://wargameproject.com/. There you can find screenshots (http://wargameproject.com/#gallery) and some game information. Before you start playing, take a look at http://wargameproject.com/#guide. There is some information about the controls which can not be find in the game and is not obvious. There is some nice reference data in the Wargamopedia section, though not fully completed yet.

Below is a list of some of the things that happen in our game to give you the idea (shameless copy/paste from our own web site Smiley):
  • Units get tired and hungry, become poisoned and deceased, heal and cure themselves
  • Units become stronger and evolve their weapon specific skills depending on the type of experience they get in battle (each hit or parry counts!)
  • Some units can hide (there are 3 levels of invisibility and also terrain considerations), swim, fly, hunt, forage, marauder, steel, feel danger, train and summon other units, scout, make and disarm traps and do many other things
  • Units run out of arrows and switch weapons if they can not use their primary one anymore. Armour, shields and even some weapons may be broken and repaired. Units can be equipped with better armour in castles (if they can wear it)
  • Light infantry can become heavy (if lives long enough)
  • Mounted units will dismount when fighting on certain type of terrain or attacking structures
  • Necromancers can raise zombies from battlefields, build portals to summon demons and defile graveyards in order for the ghosts to come
  • Catapults can damage castle garrisons as well as population and wealth
  • Some structures like villages can be razed and rebuilt

Take a look at other screenshots at the project web site!

If you can reach the sky and it is made of wood, then it is a very bad sign...
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:49:41 AM »

looks interesting megas, I'll give it a try.

Also introduce yourself here, and welcome to TIGS!  Smiley
TheDustin
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »

I've dropped about 500 hours in turn-based strategy games and I'm working on one of my own. I'll be glad to playtest this for you and give some feedback, it'll be a win-win situation. I'll get some more practice thinking from a development standpoint, and I'll get to help you out!

You have an interesting set of features, I know from experience that balancing is the hardest thing to nail down.  Cheesy
megas
Level 0

Lorem Ipsum!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »

Thanks a lot! We really need a fresh look from the outside at what we have been doing. User interface and lack of information should be the biggest problems so far as we are not able to visually show all the cool game logic that happens in the background. I'm thinking about starting to write some game manuals and playing strategies.

PS. Posted few lines about myself in the introduce thread Smiley

Khazad_Dron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »

Hi Guys,

Any feedback would be very valuable for us at this stage. Making our game more user friendly is our top priority at the moment. Megas is absolutely right, our game has more inside than on the surface. I humbly call not to judge it by the first glance.  Smiley

Best regards,
Andrei
megas
Level 0

Lorem Ipsum!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »

We received some feedback from people about the lack of tutorials on our game. While so obvious now, I can't explain we didn't create them in the first place Smiley)

Not having the tutorial engine ready yet (we want it be highly customizable where all interaction events would be in xml), I just prepared a save file and an online walkthough (http://wargameproject.com/#tutorial_part1). The game is intended to last for 3-4 turns. During that you will be able to attack real enemy armies - orcs and bandits, kill monsters in ruin and hire neutrals to fight for your side. There are also couple of examples how to use skills and spells. The walkthrough is decently detailed and there are screenshots. Also trying to play it couple of times I found it challenging - I couldn't win all the times in 3 turns Smiley

Khazad_Dron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »

Finally, we released new version with nice installer, music, many bugfixes and (what's more important!) one tutorial mission.  Smiley

Download here!
Wargame Project Site

Best Regards,
Andrei
Khazad_Dron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:38:57 AM »

Added a gameplay video for those who are too lazy to download the game and try it.  Smiley
Follow the link:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic