Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:39:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Charles Babbage and the Difference Engine (COMPLETE)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Charles Babbage and the Difference Engine (COMPLETE)  (Read 9738 times)
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »

Well, the reason you lose all of your powerups whenever you die is that maximum power is really, really powerful. All patterns were balanced with the assumption that you had no powerups, so they become a lot easier at max power when you can often blow some of the enemies apart before they even get a chance to fire.

But still, maybe I could have made it so that you lose only some of them? Eh.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »

I wanted to say that I really enjoyed this entry. The clipped phrasing of the dialogue makes me laugh and it makes my skin crawl. Most excellent.

The homing bullets were glorious. The version I played didn't have any firing sounds, which I found immensely relaxing. It pushed me to that "pure (shmup) being" state a little bit faster. I enjoyed the jump evasion; everything seemed to work very well together.

Would have liked to have more progression cues in the level; it did sort of feel like I was sitting in limbo until a boss arrived. But I had a great time with this.

|
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »

Liked: Solid gameplay, it felt very well balanced.  Good amount of visual polish. And wacky plot/dialog as well.

Disliked: It was often hard to spot enemies against the background. There needed to be more contrast between the foreground and the background.

Conclusion: Not really my kind of game, but was still enjoyable and challenging. Good entry.

Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »

Man, playing this again in retrospect, easy mode makes the game pathetic.
I had so many jumps by the last boss fight that I spent the entire fight jumping and didn't even dent my supply.
Maybe I should have capped the max number of jumps or something.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic