Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:58:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2BirdyWorld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld [FINISHED]  (Read 80850 times)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »

THIRD BOSS DOWN. (Awesome item you get  Kiss )

Once you beat the second boss and get that item, the bosses can become piece of cake because of the sheer damage it can do. But then again, said item can quickly kill yourself but yea.

ONTO THE FOURTH DUNGEON (Let's try to place it NOT near the other ones now!  Cheesy )

EDIT: By the way, since the new item can be considered an item that lets you pass certain areas without harm, I WILL be making rooms that require use of it (disregarding the hammer). Just a heads up.

EDITMK2: Fourth dungeon up. And this time, it's not next to the other dungeons!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:00:22 AM by Solarblade » Logged
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

Is it the hookshot? Cmon please let it be the hookshot, I loved the hookshot.

Also, has anyone been making warp shops? I made one in islandworld, but I have yet to find another to warp to.

EDIT: Ah whatever I'll just go around and place a few more warp shops, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:38:49 PM by Ryavis » Logged
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »

Is it the hookshot? Cmon please let it be the hookshot, I loved the hookshot.

Also, has anyone been making warp shops? I made one in islandworld, but I have yet to find another to warp to.

EDIT: Ah whatever I'll just go around and place a few more warp shops, I guess.

Sadly, no it is not the hookshot ._.

I'll go around setting up warp places when I get some money for tokens~!
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »

Well, I made 2 more warp shops and also got those items.
It's not the hookshot, but I guess it's still pretty handy in some of those crazy-ass maps people are making.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »

there are a coule warp shops about, probably explore the general area around a place if you want to put one in - i've made that mistake of putting one right near another already. Droop

also, to whoever is building these massive stone labyrinths: I think it is unsporting for you to prey on my compulsive desire to explore every area.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:57:10 PM by tocky » Logged
tPRoC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »

I think my biggest problem with this game is that it lacks music- or sound of any kind, for that matter.

But otherwise it's pretty fun.
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2010, 04:14:15 AM »

I really like this game so far, especially the building aspect. Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin

It would be nice if the total amount of treasure picked up at once was displayed instead of just the last item you picked up. At first I didn't think I got much more from a bag than from an enemy.

As for bugs, I think there's a problem with how the stores work. Enemies can hurt you while inside (mainly mushrooms, I think), but it doesn't seem possible to die while talking to a store owner, only on exit. I had 0 hp inside a baker's shop at one point, just before I bought a pie. Before that, I managed to save the game with 0 hp, forcing me to start over.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »

You always manage to impress, don't you Fifth? This is some pretty interesting stuff, and has potential of becoming something massive, if you decide to keep working on it.

I only found one world when I connected, and I died a couple of times, especially at those poison cloud hopping mushroom motherfuckers. Game's fairly fun, though I'd have liked some defensive ability on my character.

Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »

those poison cloud hopping mushroom motherlovers
Seriously, I hate those things.

Also: Boss of Dungeon 4 is dead, the item you get is AWESOME.
Spoiler -> [Your choice of Flame Shield or a pitchfork thing that I didn't get]

P.S. Dungeon 5 is exactly one screen away from #4, lol.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:59:21 PM by jrhill » Logged

hi
tPRoC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »

I'd have liked some defensive ability on my character

The game has shields, actually.  Ninja
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »

I didn't get that option jrhill, I only got that one item, which is awesome regardless but yea.

ALSO, dungeon 5 is looking awesome in design, whoever made it like that  Kiss
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »

Guilty!

Thank goodness someone else is in there now, I can't get anywhere with only green slimes on every screen.  Big Laff

By the way fifth, is everyone getting the same items for the same dungeons?  And how does the max strife for a screen go up?  Does someone who didn't make the screen have to go there?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:53:52 PM by jrhill » Logged

hi
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »

This game is one of my favorite three for this competition.  Although it's not perfect, it has the greatest potential of all the games so far IMO.  I BEG YOU to keep working on this sucker!  This game is epic.  And the more people who play it, the bigger and crazier and more impossible this game will become.  If you don't keep working on it, at least start a sequel/remake of it without the time constraint so you can do everything you wanted to.  This thing has spelunky-like potential to it.

I featured it in a write-up about the competition on my blog.  In fact, I had the most to say about it out of my top three.  If nothing else, this game is very thought-provoking.  Here's the link if you wanted to check it out.

http://jaysherby.blogspot.com/2010/01/top-picks-for-tigsources-assemblee.html

Awesome, thanks for the write-up!
I'll do my best to continue work on this game.
Though this may require some heavy changes.  We'll see.

I think my biggest problem with this game is that it lacks music- or sound of any kind, for that matter.

But otherwise it's pretty fun.

Mm, indeed.  I kinda shot myself in the foot not including sound or music when there were so many awesome audio assets made in the first part.  But I ended up putting off finding and organizing things to the last minute like I told myself not to do.  Alas...

I really like this game so far, especially the building aspect. Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin

It would be nice if the total amount of treasure picked up at once was displayed instead of just the last item you picked up. At first I didn't think I got much more from a bag than from an enemy.

As for bugs, I think there's a problem with how the stores work. Enemies can hurt you while inside (mainly mushrooms, I think), but it doesn't seem possible to die while talking to a store owner, only on exit. I had 0 hp inside a baker's shop at one point, just before I bought a pie. Before that, I managed to save the game with 0 hp, forcing me to start over.

Ooh thanks!  It looks like I'm gonna have my work cut out for me with bugfixes alone.
And thanks for your wonderful assets, Arachne!  Yours was always the first thread I'd go to to find graphics for a new item or object.

P.S. Dungeon 5 is exactly one screen away from #4, lol.

Aw, man... Heh, I'm gonna have to re-work the dungeon placement system to keep dungeons from clumping together like this.

By the way fifth, is everyone getting the same items for the same dungeons?  And how does the max strife for a screen go up?  Does someone who didn't make the screen have to go there?

The first person to defeat the boss gets to choose one item to get at the dungeon's power level.  There are five item typer to choose from at five different levels, so at the end of the game you'll have one of each type and one of each level.
Everyone else to defeat the boss gets whatever the first person chose.

So you defeated the boss first?  Did you also place it?  And did you actually have to fight it, or did it die instantly?  There are some weird bugs about...

And the max strife level is determined by the sum of the four adjacent screens' strife divided by two.  This means that, at the most basic state, all four of those screens must have at least a blob (and must exist to do so) before you can move to higher things.  And then at high strife levels, it kinda snowballs.

And thanks again, everybody!  I'll try to deal with some of the nastier bugs when I actually get home.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »

So you defeated the boss first?  Did you also place it?  And did you actually have to fight it, or did it die instantly?  There are some weird bugs about...
Yeah, actually, I placed the boss and he got ready to attack me then it said "congratulations, you win!" (not word-for-word lol)  It gave me 2 items to choose from, and I chose wisely. Wizard
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:45:48 PM by jrhill » Logged

hi
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »

Liked: The concept is awesome in principle. All the assets meshed well together, nothing looked out of place.

Disliked: I don't know if I was playing it wrong, but I didn't come across any areas I could add myself. Some of the things that can kill you don't look like things that can kill you.

Conclusion: I'll probably give this one another go when I've got a bit more time to explore and figure it out properly. I don't feel I've really experienced it fully yet.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »

I...  I beat the game?  Epileptic
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:53:37 PM by jrhill » Logged

hi
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »

Heh, wow!  You did!

The world select should say "game complete!" at this point, but I apparently calculated a 2-digit number as a 1-digit number.  The first world is now completely locked; no further screens can be added.

I'll go ahead and open up a second world, and let's hope this all works.

EDIT: Nope, looks like there are a few more oversights that are causing the worlds to not display properly, and the save data to not initialize properly.  I'll be back home tomorrow, and will hopefully be able to fix things up and start up the second world.

So just hold tight until then.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:50:04 PM by Fifth » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2010, 12:20:06 AM »

By the way nearing the end there were a lot of screens (both on the overworld and in the last dungeon) that got well over 99 strife.  It was impossible to place treasure or a dungeon or a boss in a lot of screens.

hi
Take One
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »

I... may  well just be really bad at this game, but I haven't found a single dungeon. =S

The game's amazing, though, honestly.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »

Go northwest!

hi
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic