Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:34:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2BirdyWorld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld [FINISHED]  (Read 80821 times)
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »

I found the boss after figuring out the way the enemy distribution affects it. Now I can't get out without dying Angry. For the next update, would you consider a full-heal after bosses or something similar.

I'm also going to run around and place warp points. They're sorely underutilized, along with next-to-dungeon save points.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2010, 07:04:55 PM »

Yeah, I know.  I really should have refilled the player's health, and booted him out of the dungeon, too.

Next update, I guess.
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »

I've done all I could on Dungeon 4. I hit the corners limit, so I won't be first to spawn/beat the boss. Ah well.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

idea: we should do portraits of the different birdies from each world.
Rock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2010, 04:51:45 AM »

Yeah, I know.  I really should have refilled the player's health, and booted him out of the dungeon, too.

Next update, I guess.
I'm going to have a Zelda moment. Make a "fill life" item and a portal to front of dugeon
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »

I love this!  It's really got the feel of old-school Zelda, but I love being part of what feels like a community, even though you never truly meet anybody else.  It's addictive.

Only complaints:  Not enough health to be found, and no map that can be carried around with the player.  However, realizing that it's a work in progress, I would say that these are minor complaints compared to the really cool idea at work here.

So, good job!  It's really a lot of fun, and a standout entry to the competition.

EDIT: OMG I just spent the last hour making a forest and a lake in the far South.  Dear god I must sleep now but maybe I can make just one more screen... Coffee

EDIT DEUX: I just realized Tab was the map button.  DER.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:15:09 PM by TheCube » Logged
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »

Weird Glitch: Somehow, when coming back from a void room in dungeon 5, I was knocked back inro it but went back into the room I was knocked into before the dialog came up,and now both rooms are voids.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »

Weird Glitch: Somehow, when coming back from a void room in dungeon 5, I was knocked back inro it but went back into the room I was knocked into before the dialog came up,and now both rooms are voids.

Huh... that's certainly a new one.
I guess all we can do at this point is replace the missing room.

I love this!  It's really got the feel of old-school Zelda, but I love being part of what feels like a community, even though you never truly meet anybody else.  It's addictive.

Heh, good to hear!  There's just something compelling about making stuff like this, and having other people run through your screens and add stuff...

idea: we should do portraits of the different birdies from each world.

Well, wouldn't it just be the same birdy, but with a different set of stuff?
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »

well, in my mind, the first birdy is this slash-and-burn renegade, whereas this one is more of a subtle, stealthy type.

but yeah, kinda.
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

Speaking of equipment, could we get a list of them?

On another note, if you plan on doing any of the unfinished shops in the next update, it's probably best to wait until those are done before launching world 3. That's just me, though.
MagiMaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »

Small bug: If you use a hammer and then die, you get it back and the effects remain. (This probably applies to tokens too, but I haven't checked.)
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »

Small bug: If you use a hammer and then die, you get it back and the effects remain. (This probably applies to tokens too, but I haven't checked.)
You only use tokens inside empty shops to create a shop; you don't use them on the field. Also, this isn't a bug; you get the hammers back because you had them when you last saved.

Edit: Where is the boss of dungeon 1? Do I have to go through the 50+ strife rooms south?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:15:14 PM by Kitoari » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »

It is a bit of an exploit though, yeah.  You could open up a shop, then restart, then open another shop with the same tokens.

You shouldn't, though.  It's not exactly legitimate.
Hmm... maybe the game should save when you open a shop?

well, in my mind, the first birdy is this slash-and-burn renegade, whereas this one is more of a subtle, stealthy type.

but yeah, kinda.

Heh, alright.  I guess that makes sense.

Speaking of equipment, could we get a list of them?

On another note, if you plan on doing any of the unfinished shops in the next update, it's probably best to wait until those are done before launching world 3. That's just me, though.

That's probably a good idea, yeah.

Well, I don't want to straight-up give all the equipment away, so it's all under spoiler-stuff.
I was really rushing and panicking to fill several of the holes in the equipment list at the last minute, so I'm afraid there's a number of duds in there (especially at level 3)... I really gotta revise this thing.

Anyway, reveal at your own risk.
Level 1: weapon shield tool magic boots
Level 2: weapon shield tool magic boots
Level 3: weapon shield tool magic boots
Level 4: weapon shield tool magic boots
Level 5: weapon shield tool magic boots
MagiMaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »

A slightly more serious bug:

While editing a room (in dungeon 5 BTW), I hit CTRL. Since I had the cape equipped, this made me start teleporting. Since I had only 1 hp and ended up in a wall, this killed me. Now, the room shows that someone is still editing it. Unless it times out or you can fix it manually, the room will be unusable.  Tongue
Kitoari
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »

On one hand, revealing the equipment will lessen the surprise factor. On the other, it's nice to know how useful an item is now vs. how useful it will be in the future when selecting stuff for boss fights.

I can't decide now ._.

Edit: it times out.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:01:25 PM by Kitoari » Logged
MagiMaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

A suggestion: at least temporarily, you could make the gossip places mention which direction the latest construction took place in. There are times when nothing much is going on, and I'd like to find something new.

Edit: There should be a way to unapprove a screen making it back into a void, but to keep it from being abused there'd have to be a lot of restrictions. I'd probably make it an item in the tool shop, but make it cost 1000 or 2000. Then, three different people would have to use it on the same screen and none of them could edit the screen afterwards (nor the original creator). Even with all that, I'm not sure it wouldn't still be abused some.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:49:33 AM by MagiMaster » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »

Well, even the best-planned system would be exploitable somehow.  But that doesn't mean I can't try.

Is there a particular type of screen that's bugging you?  I had planned a few more restrictions in the making phase, which might cut down on some of the undesirable stuff:  checking what percentage of the screen is filled with what, so as to keep people from submitting entirely empty screens (which really bug me), or having restrictions on which/how many of the screen's exits you're allowed to leave open, based on the screen just came from (which may or may not be too much of a limit on the creative freedom?  I'm not sure...).

An item to re-void a screen is certainly an interesting idea, if a little dangerous.  Although I would at least like a few more meta-tools to fill up the tools shop.
MagiMaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »

The empty screens aren't so bad if they're part of what looks generally like a desert (though adding at least a few patches of stone or grass would be better), but if you look at the forest in the north-east, there are places where someone added some really ugly and completely unrelated stuff right in the middle. Unfortunately, that's completely subjective, so I can't really suggest any rules that would prevent it. I agree that a re-void item would be dangerous, but I can't think of a better way to handle it (maybe someone else can).

Edit: Actually, I think I can summarize what bugs me better than that. It's when people make screens that completely ignore the neighboring screens and you get these big strips of water/stone/trees down one edge.

Edit again: I just noticed that when someone makes a whole bunch of rooms in a row that all have completely open sides, it makes a pretty big mess. This might only be true in dungeons though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:49:48 PM by MagiMaster » Logged
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »

I think that re-voiding a screen could be done by vote, as in maybe just a counter in the bottom portion that shows how many votes for an erasure have already been made, and clicking it adds your vote. If it reaches a certain amount of votes (say, 5) then it gets erased.  If it was your screen originally, then you can vote on it, but you cannot rebuild it yourself. 

I wouldn't make it a tool that you would have to buy (except maybe once, to prove your seniority so to speak), since it's more of a moderation feature than anything.  Perhaps limit the votes on a time basis, as in you can only vote once per 5 minutes or something similar, to limit the effect 5 people might have if they just decided to delete everything. 

Of course this could still be abused, but I don't think people would take advantage of that.  Much. 

On an unrelated note, I finally found a dungeon boss.  That death guy is hard, he's killed me twice now.  Nice.

MagiMaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »

Another small bug: If you create a hidden space in water using the hammer, you can teleport onto that space while it's still hidden, but you can't do that with the hidden space created by the chest.

Also, you can place enemies on spikes where they'll just die as soon as you enter the room and you can take their stuff. I don't know if that's exactly a bug though.

Edit: Thinking about it, if you could just vote to delete a room (as opposed to an item that'd cost money) people would just vote for every room they walked through for no particular reason. Even if you could only vote every 5 minutes, people would just vote for whatever room they're in every 5 minutes. Putting a resource cost on the voting (the item I suggested would work the same way, basically) would prevent that, somewhat.

On the other hand, if people could also vote to keep a room (so you needed, say double the good votes, min. 5, to delete a room) then it might work out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:57:25 PM by MagiMaster » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic