Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:47:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2BirdyWorld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld [FINISHED]  (Read 80331 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »

There's the screen's strife, strife potential, and strife goal.
The current strife is how many (and how dangerous) enemies are on the screen at that moment.  Potential is how many can be on that screen, based on the strife level of the screens around it.  And the goal is the highest number it can reach, based roughly on how far the screen is from the map's center.

The number at the bottom is the current strife over the potential, and clicking it will go into the enemy placing mode.  The skulls at the bottom represent the number of strife points left towards the strife goal, with the blinking ones being how much you can add under the current strife potential.  Clicking on the blinking skulls will add them to the egg on the left, and to the strife rating of the next enemy you'll place.  Clicking somewhere on the map will place that enemy there.  And if you want to rearrange things, you can click on an enemy that's already there to kill it and turn it back into skulls.

When you reach the strife goal, you're allowed to place a treasure on the screen (you can even place it in an obstacle if you want to make hidden treasures).  Placing the treasure locks the room's strife and puts a check mark next to the number.  If the strife value and timing is right, you might also get to place a dungeon entrance, or the dungeon boss.

...Heh, it's kind of confusing, sorry.  I really meant to add a couple extra explanations.
Ashkin
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »

Dungeon entrance?  Well, hello there!
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »

This is a great little game, and it's good to see you continue working on this to fulfill it's potential.. I have just spent a couple of hours creating a river myself, and there are some decent environments already built.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »

It's maybe a little weird to be doing development updates after the competition's already ended, but...

It's not so weird.  Just make a post-compo version.  I always thought the main idea of these compos were to get the creative juices flowing.  It would be a shame to cut those juices short.  So to speak.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 07:47:12 AM »

how the hammer works:
when you hit the hammer button your guy goes into hammer mode, and any impassible tiles he walks into switch to passable tiles - you can make bridges and tunnels ands stuff. the number next to the hammer is the number of tiles you can switch. you can only switch tiles native to the screen you're on - so impassible stuff around the edges which belongs to neighboring screens will still stop you - but, for instance, if there's some mountains or a river you can't pass, local to the screen you're on, you should be able to cross it with the hammer.

if you return to the same screen later the stuff will appear to be impassible again, but if you hit it with your sword it'll clear up. this also works if you find places where other people have cleared stuff with the hammer.
It's really neat too, since it poofs out of nowhere in a total Toejam & Earl style.

hi
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »

I haven't checked it out yet, but from the replies this sounds really exciting!  I wish you the best in the compo.   Gentleman

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »

This is definately getting a vote from me Gentleman

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »

This REALLY needs more content  Kiss I love the idea, and the game is fun to explore in! I'm looking to see if there's more dungeons somewhere or if I can place a dungeon ;o

How can I place more 'shops'? Is there a way to get more tokens or something? :x
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »

Sweet!  Somebody finally made and beat the first boss!  This means that you'll be able to place the second dungeon's entrance somewhere (provided it all works correctly).

And the intent was that you'd occasionally find handy stuff like shop tokens and hammers and whatnot in chests, but I never got around to that.  You can buy shop tokens in tool shops (I think there are three tool shops in the whole world), except the tokens are kinda expensive at 400 gold each.

And thanks!  I'll try to get in everything I had planned for a post-compo version, at least, and we'll see what happens from there...
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »

Sweet!  Somebody finally made and beat the first boss!  This means that you'll be able to place the second dungeon's entrance somewhere (provided it all works correctly).

And the intent was that you'd occasionally find handy stuff like shop tokens and hammers and whatnot in chests, but I never got around to that.  You can buy shop tokens in tool shops (I think there are three tool shops in the whole world), except the tokens are kinda expensive at 400 gold each.

And thanks!  I'll try to get in everything I had planned for a post-compo version, at least, and we'll see what happens from there...

Oh that's why the second dungeon entrance appeared! I found it and am working on the inside :3
...but now I'm obligated to find the first dungeon's boss and beat it ;/
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »

it's amazing what people can do with multimedia fusion these days. great job, this is really great.

Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »

Wow, this mapmaking feature is pretty nifty.

I found a nice big empty area to the south, and I am so going to make my own little castle.

EDIT:
Man, I can not get enough of this. I went on to make a mountain range with paths carved through it, and am now making a large lake full of little islands connected by bridges.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:54:57 PM by Ryavis » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »

gah, i killed the boss, got the item, then died - and now i don't have the item, and the boss doesn't respawn.
increpare
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »

it's very cool
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »

I keep running into individual squares it says I can't edit. Are those squares other people are on, or what? It's hurting my large-scale artistic vision =X
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »

I keep running into individual squares it says I can't edit. Are those squares other people are on, or what? It's hurting my large-scale artistic vision =X

There's a limit on which rooms you can edit in a single area (like you can't do a 2x2 area if I remember correctly. It won't let you do the last one you try. Or something. It's explained earlier in the topic.)

And I keep dying because health isn't dropping D:
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »

Mm, sorry about that, but you're not allowed to edit a screen if you've edited two or more of the adjacent screens.  It's an artificially imposed limit to keep one person from making too many screens.
It does mean you can't make loops or blocks, though.  Sorry.

gah, i killed the boss, got the item, then died - and now i don't have the item, and the boss doesn't respawn.
Whoops... that's no good.
I'm guessing it's a problem with a global value that causes the save file to not reload properly.  If you close the game and start it again, the boss should reappear.
...I hope.

...And thanks, increpare and podunkian!  It really means a lot!
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »

Now it's time to go find a tool shop and populate some of these maps with shops =D
pgil
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »

This is really great. I love building stuff. I still can't get into the first dungeon, though Sad . Am I supposed to be able to jump?
Ashkin
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »

Have faith, and walk unto the edge of the water.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic