Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:08:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2BirdyWorld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld [FINISHED]  (Read 80328 times)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »

This is really great. I love building stuff. I still can't get into the first dungeon, though Sad . Am I supposed to be able to jump?
What Ashkin said.

Also, got to the first boss, and proceed to get my butt kicked. But I was low on HP so...
But seriously, boss fight arena change = awesome  Kiss

And someone help me build the second dungeon! I can't add more until someone else adds more >:

One last thing: A potential trollage is to just block off the dungeon with dead ends and thusly no one can add to it. Just wondering if you countered this or not.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »

Haha I started making the second dungeon without even knowing there was a boss in the first one yet.  Whee time to backtrack!

hi
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »

Haha I started making the second dungeon without even knowing there was a boss in the first one yet.  Whee time to backtrack!
Oh you're (one of?) the other person (people) working on the second dungeon! Awesome stuff :D And yea, I did that too XD
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:42 PM »

One last thing: A potential trollage is to just block off the dungeon with dead ends and thusly no one can add to it. Just wondering if you countered this or not.

There's nothing preventing that, no.

I had planned to force the number/which screen exits a player would have to keep open/close off per screen in such a way to keep that from happening, but I had to forgo it in favor of more central stuff for the deadline.

If that happens, though, I'll just fix it manually.
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »

Jeeze, gonna have to find the first dungeon and stuff soon enough.
I'm having a lot of fun just making islandworld, but it'd be cool to move onto dungeon-making eventually.

EDIT: I put monsters onto a map and now it's at 09/01 strife. I assume this is a bug. I opened the monster screen and it was already set on one of those fire-breathing rabbits.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:56:58 PM by Ryavis » Logged
increpare
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »

The small/deadly pools of water really brought me back to the baptismal fonts of populous...
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »

Oh you're (one of?) the other person (people) working on the second dungeon! Awesome stuff :D And yea, I did that too XD
Yeah I actually got to place the dungeon itself, I feel pretty honored.   Wizard

And you can thank/hate me for all those long hallways I guess.

hi
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »

can you hint where the second dungeon is?

Quote from: Fifth
Quote from: tocky
gah, i killed the boss, got the item, then died - and now i don't have the item, and the boss doesn't respawn.
Whoops... that's no good.
I'm guessing it's a problem with a global value that causes the save file to not reload properly.  If you close the game and start it again, the boss should reappear.
...I hope.

I did that, it works.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

are you placing tool shops manually?
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »

Yeah I actually got to place the dungeon itself, I feel pretty honored.   Wizard

And you can thank/hate me for all those long hallways I guess.

So you're the one that placed it near the first dungeon  Wink

Yea, I kinda placed dead ends at the end of those... :x
MechanicalPen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »

I had planned to force the number/which screen exits a player would have to keep open/close off per screen in such a way to keep that from happening, but I had to forgo it in favor of more central stuff for the deadline.

If that happens, though, I'll just fix it manually.

Instead of potentially limiting someone's creativity, couldn't you just allow the hammer to work on screen edges?

Also, delurking to say this game is AWESOME! Could I get a hint as to where dungeons 1 and 2 are?

EDIT: Found a bug. If you put a wall tile in the second to lowest block on a screen, you can scroll up into it and get stuck. See?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:26:19 PM by MechanicalPen » Logged
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »

Suggestion:
When you reload, for a moment you are unable to move. Could you also be immune to damage during that period? After, uh, accidentally placing that fire-breathing rabbit within line of sight of a save point, I have found out that being firebreath'd while immobile every time I load is pretty annoying.
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2010, 06:27:19 PM »

Also, here's the location of the first dungeon.  (At least the first dungeon I've found.)
http://timeforcute.com/cute/2010/01/birdyworldmap.png
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »

Instead of potentially limiting someone's creativity, couldn't you just allow the hammer to work on screen edges?

Also, delurking to say this game is AWESOME! Could I get a hint as to where dungeons 1 and 2 are?

EDIT: Found a bug. If you put a wall tile in the second to lowest block on a screen, you can scroll up into it and get stuck. See?

Hey, thanks!  I guess it's an idea to have hammers work on edges (and could make for some interesting secrets), but the logic of it all might get tricky.  That is, I don't want a screen to be hammer-able once it's deemed passable, but I'm not sure how I'd determine passability if not with level exits...

...And man, I thought I fixed that wall bug!  I guess I can see the situation where it'd still come up.  Hm.

Suggestion:
When you reload, for a moment you are unable to move. Could you also be immune to damage during that period? After, uh, accidentally placing that fire-breathing rabbit within line of sight of a save point, I have found out that being firebreath'd while immobile every time I load is pretty annoying.
Good idea.
Actually, maybe I should just not have monsters spawn at all on the screen where you load.  It would keep people from blocking a save spot with a monster, too.

I put monsters onto a map and now it's at 09/01 strife. I assume this is a bug. I opened the monster screen and it was already set on one of those fire-breathing rabbits.
Yikes... This one's new to me.  Do you know how it happened?

And you guys are doing an awesome job with the second dungeon!  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:55:07 PM by Fifth » Logged
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »

Who, Me? oh no...

i placed boss 2, but there was a bug. the thing faded to black, but the boss dissapeared, and didn't reappear. the water tiles from the area were still active - i couldn't see them, but i could fall in them. i could cross the borders into different screens as well, but the space background was still up and the motion trails were still going. i ran into a monster and died, came back as normal. i went back to the screen where i placed the boss guy, but there were no enemies there - i filled it in with enemies again, and placed a chest, but no boss. the adventure title reads "fighting boss 2" but the boss isn't anywhere, so i think it is really properly broken.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »

Hoo, boy...

I certainly hope it's possible for the second-dungeon boss to exist.  I never actually got to test that far.

I'll set the status back to "braving dungeon 2", so that somebody can try placing the boss again.

Yikes.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:24 PM »

Actually I didn't get a choice of where to place it, I was just putting monsters out and then was surprised when instead of placing the treasure chest it had me placing a whole temple!

Still working on temple 1 though.  You guys were brutal with the level design there.  Crazy

hi
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 10:04:54 PM »

Actually I didn't get a choice of where to place it, I was just putting monsters out and then was surprised when instead of placing the treasure chest it had me placing a whole temple!

Still working on temple 1 though.  You guys were brutal with the level design there.  Crazy
Oh ok. Makes sense.
And yea, Temple 1 is brutal. Thank goodness we made Temple/Dungeon 2 more sensible. A lot easier to not get lost in Dungeon 2 :D I'm just trying to finish up Dungeon 2 so it doesn't become an overlarge beast of nonsense >_>; I wonder what the second boss is...

Speaking of bosses, a glitch with the first one was I got TWO OF THE DARN THING to spawn, and the graphics were all whacked. Might've been because I pressed the map button while he was changing the area :x
tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »

there's no boss again. Concerned

this time, I placed him, it faded to black, immediately faded back to normal, and it went on as if I'd killed him - I could get the item and so on. But I never had to fight him, and he's not there if i revisit the area on a different save.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:37 PM »

Okay, yeah.  I see where the boss should have been, and I see where the error is in the code.  I can replace the bad byte with what should be the boss, but no bosses beyond the first one will be properly creatable under this version.

I'm not quite sure what to do right now... I could either keep fixing the bosses as they break, or else release a fixed, non-compo version, with the intent that the compo version should still be able to SEE the bosses, just not place them.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2010, 08:43:46 AM »

Keep a version of the compo entry for the compo but have another version that has the bug fixes and whatnot so we can keep moving forward~!  Grin

How many bosses are there? Does the game actually ever end? DOES THE AWESOME CONTINUE FOREVER?
And will saves be compatible with new versions?

Also, who ever put those enemies above the spikes in the first dungeon near the boss is a lifesaver  Kiss

EDIT: Well I beat the first boss, and found and beat the second boss. No problems with the fight. I found him, boss fight commenced, got item, and now headed to save room hoping I don't die along the way :x

EDITFORGREATJUSTICE: DUNGEON 3 IS A GO.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:51:53 AM by Solarblade » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic