Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:35:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2BirdyWorld [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld [FINISHED]  (Read 80807 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:49 PM »

Okay, I hopefully fixed the boss bug.  There's no new content in the version, but you'll still need to re-download to play.

Your old saves will still work.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »

The 1.1 version crashed after I beat the boss of dungeon 2 right when I clicked on the reward.

hi
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »

Lovely.

Well, it's something I can't seem to reproduce.  Did it give you a Windows program crash error, or an in-game "an error has occurred!" error?  And was there anything else unusual going on at the time?

EDIT:  Never mind, I got it to happen once.  I just don't know why.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:18:20 PM by Fifth » Logged
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2010, 05:45:06 PM »

Not for me it didn't; though I was terribly lost before and now since I started at spawn point again I have managed to find the dungeon, so I personally don't mind too much.. though losing 3000 coins is a little annoying.

EDIT: And whoever created the rooms in that dungeon are EVIL!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:06:20 PM by Halcyon » Logged
MechanicalPen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »

Not for me it didn't; though I was terribly lost before and now since I started at spawn point again I have managed to find the dungeon, so I personally don't mind too much.. though losing 3000 coins is a little annoying.
You have to copy over the data folder from the old version.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »

Lovely.

Well, it's something I can't seem to reproduce.  Did it give you a Windows program crash error, or an in-game "an error has occurred!" error?  And was there anything else unusual going on at the time?

EDIT:  Never mind, I got it to happen once.  I just don't know why.
Windows crash, not sure what happened, should I just try to kill the boss again?

hi
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »

Yeah, probably.  The odds seem to be in your favor (I hope)...
I'll try to find out where the crash is, but it's kind of a tricky one.
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »

Still working on temple 1 though.  You guys were brutal with the level design there.  Crazy
I agree Screamy

Can someone give me some general directions towards the boss room?

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

This game is great! I laughed out loud the first time I saw a green slime bounce into a lake and die.

Some feedback: it should be harder to accidentally walk into water. If I recall, in A Link to the Past, you had to consistently walk in the direction of the water's edge for a couple of seconds before your character would decide to plunge headlong into watery death. As it is now, if I accidentally nick the corner of a puddle smaller than my character, I drown.

Also, there should be a bit more direction when you first start the game. I have no clue where any of the dungeons are, or what's happening when I click to increase the "strife level." I just sort of wandered around the overworld aimlessly for fifteen minutes--which I enjoyed--then stopped, having no idea where I was or what I should be doing.

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52:02 AM »

Still working on temple 1 though.  You guys were brutal with the level design there.  Crazy
I agree Screamy

Can someone give me some general directions towards the boss room?

The boss in the first dungeon is somewhere in the southern left part of the dungeon. It's actually rather easy to get to once you know which way to go.

And yea, they went crazy with that first dungeon. The other two are easier, I swear! :x
Takeoshi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2010, 10:20:25 AM »

I just joined the forums to comment on this game.

PURE AWESOME  Evil

edit: One question, how do you make a dungeon?, because I made a great place to put one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:38:14 AM by Takeoshi » Logged
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »

This game is great! I laughed out loud the first time I saw a green slime bounce into a lake and die.

Some feedback: it should be harder to accidentally walk into water. If I recall, in A Link to the Past, you had to consistently walk in the direction of the water's edge for a couple of seconds before your character would decide to plunge headlong into watery death. As it is now, if I accidentally nick the corner of a puddle smaller than my character, I drown.

Also, there should be a bit more direction when you first start the game. I have no clue where any of the dungeons are, or what's happening when I click to increase the "strife level." I just sort of wandered around the overworld aimlessly for fifteen minutes--which I enjoyed--then stopped, having no idea where I was or what I should be doing.

Hey, thanks for the feedback!
The water idea would have been a good idea, I admit.  As it is, you only have to step into a water tile to fall into it, and the tiles' boundaries are a little vague...  But yeah, a little active resistance would work pretty well.

And I had intended a few extra things to counteract the aimlessness (not the least of which was an actual explanation of the strife/enemy placing system), like the info shop, which would have given you an overall map of the area, as well as directions to the next dungeon.  And also a warp shop to help you jump around between areas you've already visited.
Even so, I imagine the experience kinda changes quite a bit once the whole central area gets so filled with stuff.

Anyway, thanks again!

I just joined the forums to comment on this game.

PURE AWESOME  Evil

edit: One question, how do you make a dungeon?, because I made a great place to put one.

Haha, nice, thanks!
Unfortunately, placing a dungeon is kind of a rare thing.  You have to time it right - it will happen just after the previous dungeon's boss is found and beaten - and it has to be in a spot where the strife goal is high enough to have it, a requirement that increases per dungeon.  Once this happens, just keep adding enemies until you hit the treasure; if the conditions are met, the dungeon entrance will appear instead.
Takeoshi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »

Cool, that explains a lot, so would I have to beat the third dungeon personally or can anyone beat it and a new dungeon can be made?
easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »

I beat the first boss, then the game crashed as I left the first dungeon to save Sad

I guess I'll have to try again?

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »

Aw, I'm sorry...  I think the culprit behind these crashes may be the extension used for saving game data... which is kind of a problem.

If you haven't played since, you MIGHT be able to recover your data by renaming your save file (file3.dat) to something else (as a backup, in case it goes wrong), and then renaming the file game.dat to take its place as file3.dat.

Cool, that explains a lot, so would I have to beat the third dungeon personally or can anyone beat it and a new dungeon can be made?

If anybody beats the third boss, anyone will be able to make the fourth dungeon.  You don't have to do it personally.

Also, I just found a slight calculation error when determining a screen's potential strife that would explain a few of the weird totals about (like 40/14 and the like), and that may prevent later dungeons from existing...
I'll make a non-competition improvement that'll fix it once I wrap up a few other handy things.
MechanicalPen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »

Found another bug.

It requires some pretty good (bad?) timing, but if you manage to click on the "make monsters" button while a monster knocks Birdy into another screen the "place monsters menu" will open on the other screen. If the screen Birdy is knocked into happens to have full strife you will be stuck in that menu unless you place a second treasure chest.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »

Ooh, good catch.  I was wondering why the occasional screen had two treasures on it.

Alright, so I made a few updates that should help reduce the aimlessness a little.  And I hope they'll all work properly.  I've wrapped them up in this new (optional) version, which shouldn't be used as a basis for judging.

So:
Version 1.2

Major changes in the updated version:

• Improved map with store icons
  • Info shop, for player and dungeon whereabouts
  • Warp shop, for easy travel between warps
  • Various bugfixes regarding strife levels and enemy placement
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:12:54 AM by Fifth » Logged
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »

BUG:
I walked into a map with a tool shop, and then I walked from it into an empty void map that I couldn't edit. The empty void map was also marked as having a tool shop.

I assume this would take place in other similar situations also, but that's all I've seen first-hand so far.
PaleFox
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:35 AM »

I have not checked 1.2 yet (didn't see the update) so I do not know if this is in place, but what I really would like is for the dungeon map to have the entrance marked. Many is the time I have ventured forth into dungeon 1, gotten lots of cash, and died trying to remember where the exit was!
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:11 AM »

I can't kill bosses for the life of me. :/

Maybe I just suck at this game.

That said, I found a town at the top right corner of the world that has like everything in it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic