Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:28:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Labyrinth [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Labyrinth [FINISHED]  (Read 4917 times)
Space_man
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »

Download
Download Labyrinth

I have almost no time to work on this right now, but I decided to post a mockup of what I'm going to be making once I have some time (and mostly no internet... that should prove interesting) in a bit over a week.  I'm not sure how much time I'll have for this, so I'm keeping it fairly simple for now.

Main art is by Strom and Traumadore, UI and stuff isn't final yet

As you might expect, the goal is to escape a procedurally generated labyrinth (there might be some treasure involved, I'm not sure yet) by clicking through the passageways.  You don't get any sort of map, so you might want to keep track of where you are on paper, though you might get (or be able to find) a compass.

I was originally planning to make a simple strategy game, but I'm not sure if I have the time for that... depending on how much time I have, I might come back to that later after this is done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:51:22 AM by Space_man » Logged
Kyliroth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »

Hey this sounds like a pretty intriguing game. Even looks great with teh picture up.

- Kyliroth -

- no -
mizipzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:34:22 AM »

If a concept involves procedural generation it cannot be anything but cool.  Evil

Kyliroth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:34:38 AM »

If a concept involves procedural generation it cannot be anything but cool.  Evil

Hahaha yeah!

- no -
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »

Making your own map is always fun, although I liked the DS Zelda game's method of making the map drawing a part of the puzzles. The level where you must draw the shape of the island as you explore it to solve a riddle about the shape was brilliantly executed, and fun to do.

If you do make it without an automap, consider adding an in-game map drawing function for the player to use. The player still draws the map, the game just provides some tools to help.

-SirNiko
Space_man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:04:50 AM »

Alright, I have a demo version 0.1 released.  No monsters and stuff yet, just a dark maze to explore and creepy music.  As an added bonus you get a debug map for now that shows an overview of the labyrinth, unless you go fullscreen (Alt+Enter).

Download v0.1
Currently uses art by Strom, Healy, and Take One.

SirNiko-Good idea, I'll see if I can put in some sort of drawing function once I have the main game working.
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »

Nice to see someone using my assets.

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
Space_man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »

Finally got this finished last night far later than I would have liked, I feel like I made the better part of the game in the last two days or so  Crazy

Hopefully there aren't too many bugs or balance issues, but unfortunately I didn't have time to test or polish it much.

Download it here.

It also has just about the worst readme ever made, so I'll update that soon.

Assets used:

Art by Healy, Saint II, Strom, Traumadore, Davidarcila
Music by Take One
Sound by BigLon
Font by zaratustra
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »

Liked: At first this was genuinely quite creepy. Good choice of music.

Disliked: Small maze generation crashed. The corridors were featureless so you couldn't tell if you had turned at a crossroads. I found the door, but couldn't find the key at all. Is there one?

Conclusion: Fun distraction, but grew stale too quickly.

Space_man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »

Thanks for the comments Oddball.

The small maze generation crashed? Did it happen more than once, I used that one the most while testing and it never had any problems, though considering how rushed I was at the end I'm not really surprised.
The crossroads problem is probably the biggest thing I ran out of time to fix, I knew about the problem all along but when it came to the end I still hadn't found a sprite I liked to overlay on it and I just ran out of time.  If there's interest I'll fix it or maybe add a compass.

There is a key for the door, though it tends to be pretty far away.  If I had more time to test it properly I probably would have scaled down the map sizes more, on anything but small you have to spend a while mapping it out or you become hopelessly lost.  In hindsight, a 'less hardcore' option with a map/compass probably would have been nice.

Now to get back to playing all these games, I'm running out of time and there are so many good ones!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic