Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:44:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Rapture [Dec 17, 2009; DEMO]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rapture [Dec 17, 2009; DEMO]  (Read 6508 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »

New version is up. Please let me know about any bugs.

It's something I noticed in the previous version as well, but... it's not uncommon at all to fall hundreds of units without seeing a single ascending guy. When one gets up to 800 or so and one's last guy runs out of juice with nothing else on the screen, and one falls right the way down to the ground again and dies before the next ascending rocket-sprite goes off, then one feels a little cheated; the game should really end when you're not skilful enough to save your single jump to get on the back of someone you see passing upward, not when the game randomly decides to not feed you any more carriers.

Some kind of maximum period between new ascenders should fix this. Statistically the ascenders should arrive frequently enough that the guy can get a net upwards motion if he plays perfectly, so at the very minimum you need to fire a new ascender every X seconds, where X is the time it takes the guy to fall N, where N is the distance carried upwards by the average ascender plus the height of one jump.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »

New version is up. Please let me know about any bugs.

It's something I noticed in the previous version as well, but... it's not uncommon at all to fall hundreds of units without seeing a single ascending guy. When one gets up to 800 or so and one's last guy runs out of juice with nothing else on the screen, and one falls right the way down to the ground again and dies before the next ascending rocket-sprite goes off, then one feels a little cheated; the game should really end when you're not skilful enough to save your single jump to get on the back of someone you see passing upward, not when the game randomly decides to not feed you any more carriers.

Some kind of maximum period between new ascenders should fix this. Statistically the ascenders should arrive frequently enough that the guy can get a net upwards motion if he plays perfectly, so at the very minimum you need to fire a new ascender every X seconds, where X is the time it takes the guy to fall N, where N is the distance carried upwards by the average ascender plus the height of one jump.
This might be a style issue.

The goal is to climb to the highest point you can and the rocketeers get you there. More rocketeers would mean you'll be in the air longer and have the potential to go higher. Each game session would be longer as well. I didn't want each game to be longer than a few minutes because it is most fun as the difficulty is ramping up, probably somewhere in the middle (around 600 ft). I originally had it so that it decreases the number of rocketeers as you ascend, and then increases it again as you descend, but that made this limbo zone right in the middle that the player would get stuck in. It wasn't as fun trying to beat your previous score because the sessions were too long. Right now the difficulty increases and stays at that point until you die. Then it resets.

Sometimes you get lucky and I think that's important in this type of game.

But I'll think about it and see if there's something to be done.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »

Will you ever be able to escape the atmosphere?

hi
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »

Hah! Astroman is a demon and he'll never make it, sorry. Sad

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »

I'll try anyway.

hi
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »

Good. Keep sending souls to hell. Evil

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »

There's a minor bug; if you press and hold the jump key, the little dude will keep jumping when he hits the ground. It's a little annoying, especially when you lose a jump due to this.

It's still pretty fun, though! I got up to 700 feet or so.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:17 AM »

The goal is to climb to the highest point you can and the rocketeers get you there.

Hmm.

OK, but I'm not climbing to the highest point I can - I'm climbing to the highest point the game will let me climb to before it stops giving me any method of getting higher. I'm not failing because of any lack of skill on my part, I'm failing because the game randomly decided it was time for me to fail.

What this does to me, as a player, is tells me that it's completely random whether or not I beat my last high score, because it's down to whether or not the game's random number generator allows me to. It's like a ladder game where the objective is to get as high as you can without falling off the ladder, and after a while the game stops giving you any more ladder to climb, it's arbitrarily decided that this is the end of your game.

If you could promise me that the sum total of ascending potential before they run out completely is the same in every game, then it would be slightly better - I would at least know that any improvements on my previous high score were down to my skill rather than the RNG - but this patently isn't the case in your current build, and it still means that there's an absolute upper limit to scores, which means I'm far far less motivated to try again in hopes of getting a different one, 'cause I'd suspect I'm already so close to the limit from my last couple of games that any improvement would be so minor as to not be worth it.

In short:
Sometimes you get lucky and I think that's important in this type of game.

I don't mind the kind of game where sometimes you get lucky and get an unexpected boost to your score, or an unexpected easy patch... but I loathe the kind of game where sometimes you get unlucky and there's absolutely no way to continue playing no matter how perfectly you play - I would consider the situation I describe above as a bug, either in the implementation or the design. IMO, if I can play a perfect game, a good game game shouldn't punish me totally randomly.

It's a really fun game in the middle part, where it's still playable, but it stops being fun as soon as the game randomly ends my play, and that makes subsequent plays less fun because I know it could happen again at any time. I have much less motivation to keep playing, because improving my skill at the game doesn't help me much at all. (Case in point: I didn't read the instructions and only learned about the boost after ten or so games; it didn't improve my score at all, I couldn't beat my previous score because I just kept running out of guys to climb on.) I might as well spend my time on the slots, if I'm going to play something that depends mostly on luck with only a small element of player skill.

zpxlng
Level 0

GRILL GAMER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:11 AM »

This is nice! Nice, and fun!

I especially appreciate the unorthodox use of the dungeon sprites. Little rockety dudes. Whee!
Stukos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »

The goal is to climb to the highest point you can and the rocketeers get you there.

Hmm.

OK, but I'm not climbing to the highest point I can - I'm climbing to the highest point the game will let me climb to before it stops giving me any method of getting higher. I'm not failing because of any lack of skill on my part, I'm failing because the game randomly decided it was time for me to fail. [...]

The boost changes everything. You can increase your time on each rocketman by applying the boost right before the engine goes out.

It takes a decent amount of jumping skill to be any good.

And a few guys always fly up when you're falling from 800 feet. You have to be good enough to jump on those guys.

What's your highest score?

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 08:18:40 AM »

The boost changes everything. You can increase your time on each rocketman by applying the boost right before the engine goes out.

It takes a decent amount of jumping skill to be any good.

And a few guys always fly up when you're falling from 800 feet. You have to be good enough to jump on those guys.

This is what I was saying, though - there were no guys. No guys at all, I wouldn't have made the previous post if there were. The guys just dried up, I ended up being carried by the one last guy, I boosted when he was running out - this was around the 850 mark, if memory serves - and the only ascender I saw on my lengthy journey to the floor was still below the bridge at the start when I died.

What's your highest score?

Presently about 1200, IIRC. Sometimes, I fall from a great height and there are guys to jump onto on the way down; sometimes, I fall from the same great height and there aren't.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic