Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:15:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFinding Her (Flash) -- LD16 entry
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finding Her (Flash) -- LD16 entry  (Read 1843 times)
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You wake up dreaming of her...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While exploring the cavern searching for this girl
 you start exploring deeper into the inhabitant's lives,
 asking questions that will help you find her.

Can you do it?

(This is my LudumDare 16 entry)

Click here to play (Flash)

Click here to rate it (LD)

Best regards
-Martín
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:31:25 PM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »

Never mind.

Played through the game. Had trouble following the story and the level felt too large with not enough to do. But...intriguing none the less.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:39:57 PM by Titch » Logged

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:31:17 PM »

Yeah, it could have a deeper story... if I only had a team of artists and developers to make it happen in 2 days Big Laff

Thanks for finishing it Smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:39:51 PM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Curseman
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »

Interesting method of storytelling.  My biggest problem was that I didn't see any logic or reason to who gives you which of the clues/images/memories in the starting "town" area.  I do like how the use of changes in the music and the protagonist's facial expression.  I'm going to go see if I can't find some more stuff in the game.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »

Yeah, it could have a deeper story... if I only had a team of artists and developers to make it happen in 2 days Big Laff

Thanks for finishing it Smiley

Well I know it's tough doing something over a short time. I think I just had high expectations after playing Caverns. I did like the core mechanic and the way you told the story, it was just too much time was given over to moving around a level where you weren't really clear where to go and that didn't have a huge amount of visual variety until the latter part of the game. Like you could have crunched the size down a bit and had less level design work to do and the game would have been better for it.

Curseman
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

Alright, I've found both endings.  I think that the way you portrayed the game's theme and the solution as part of the interface was clever.

So do you have any hints for this "secret" the game mentions?  Does it have anything to do with the fact that the pause screen says that you can press X to shoot, or is that just a mistake?  I'm guessing that you have to talk to someone in a later area while still having one of the early memories that you wouldn't normally have there.

Edit:

I think that the last scene you get for the "good" ending is a big of a letdown.  It'd just be nice to get a little bit more for solving it, you know?
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »

Hey, thanks for the effort man!
I'm glad you ended up watching both ends of the work.

The X shoots is a mistake Tongue (Flixel mode-modders will understand me Cheesy)
It would be really clever what you propose for the secret but it's actually way simpler and doable always, without any kind of restriction.

About the second ending... yeah, I know. I want to do something better with it but time was a big factor there Smiley

Thanks again!

Working on HeliBrawl
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »

I had a lot of trouble understanding what things were in some way part of the game and which things were just bugs.

For example, sometimes when I talked to the "wrong" person it would result in them saying "...", sometimes I'd just press space and nothing would happen.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »

Hi there, thanks for the feedback.

It can be confusing but "..." means they have no answer to that question. You only ask once each question to each character (actually each character type)

When you get new answers (that are in turn questions), you can then ask them those new ones to each character.

Regards

Working on HeliBrawl
raiten
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:24:28 AM »

Eager to try it out but the game won't load for me (despiting reloading the page a couple of times). It's stuck at the loading screen, the loading bar is full but it won't progress beyond that.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »

Just wait a whole minute. The flash file is just 3MB and the preloader is bugged. fixed.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:55:43 AM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic