Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:33:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlit! A first attempt at creating a game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flit! A first attempt at creating a game.  (Read 1942 times)
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

Alrighty then, My name is Kris/Dozer/Pixelized. I recently started attending college and just finished my first semester. OF course, being an avid gamer with dreams of someday creating my own games, I took a class called "Basic Game Design" With fun in mind. After 4 months of creating other people's games from a book called "The Game Maker's Apprentice" (required for the class) I got 4 weeks to create my own game from scratch... It was a BLAST. I created my first ever game, the only "program" I have ever created and I loved creating it. There were times that I wanted to throw my laptop out the window, especially when dealing with bugs (Oh I hate bugs) but overall the experience was intensely rewarding. Well, now the class is over, but my aspirations to creating a well made game are not. What I have created so far is nothing more than a clunky first try engine that will never get anywhere or any kind of recolonization. So I have decided to completely remake it. Now I haven't started on the remake as of yet, but I have lots of ideas. A Storyline (O NOES!), a powerup system, maybe an inventory of sorts, and definitely some better graphics and music. I want to create something that is actually enjoyable. So if you could, help me out a lil Tongue And no i don't mean HEY MAKE THIS BETTER?!?! I mean any criticism, ideas, rants, complaints, or anything of the sort to help me make a better game. If you have any questions related to the actual creation of said game, gimme a holler and I would be glad to share. Thanks again TIG!

The Download (Screenshots Available on Download Page)
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/105620-flit

The help page (Straight from the game)
Flit!

Welcome to Flit! a platformer with fun in mind. You control the Giant pixel named Flit who has an unhealthy addiction to shiny things. Collect coins, powerups, extra lives and learn to have some fun and break out of your single color life into a world of happy colors!

Collect Powerups!

Collect Coins!

Jump around!

Do basic... platformy stuff!

Gameplay and Controls

The gameplay is simple... collect all the coins and progress to the next level.

This Flit! Flit is a very unhappy pixel, Liven him up with powerups, Make him happy with coins!

Super Jump!Collect these to activate you Super Jump. With this powerup you can jump super high! (Go figure Tongue)

Anti-Gravity! Collect these to activate your Anti Gravity. With this powerup you will be able to float!

Coins! Collect these to make Flit happy! He likes shiny things! ooooh..... shiny....

Watch out for Spikes! They will make Flit very unhappy... not to mention kill him.

Controls

The controls are simple, use arrow keys to move (you can triple jump!)

Credits!

Artwork-Kristopher Watts (aka Pixelized/Dozer)
Game Design, programming, everything Tongue- Kristopher Watts (aka Pixelized)
Music from the "Biggest Resource Pack" on Yoyogames.com
Coin Sounds-Mario Bros

Hope you have fun!

Thanks again guys Wizard
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:13:07 PM by Dozer » Logged
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:54:18 PM »

Hmm... not sure if double posting is allowed... if not, delete me Tongue

Here is some sample work for the new game, showing the style that I hope to implement... seeing as how the main character is a pixel I figured that the game should look like a "zoomed in" game if you catch my drift. All these were done since the last post so excuse the not so fantastic quality Tongue

On to the new screenies! (Note, these are not final works in any respect... everything or nothing may change in an instant depending on how I think the style should go)

Quick little mockup using a 50x50 tileset... not sure if that's the size I will use or not, but this is just something I did to establish some sort of style. Also showcasing the first baddie.

Some weird hammer axe smashy stabby dealy... would sit on a floor and when flit gets close... SMASH! probably won't make it into the game as it doesn't fit the style of anything else.

An Animated floor... When Flit steps near it (or is in the air above it) It will open up to reveal spikes... Hope you have another jump left Tongue

May be a strange approach I am taking... Doing the art before any of the programming but meh, I can't work without art Tongue
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Hmm... not sure if double posting is allowed... if not, delete me Tongue
Double-posting is fine when you updating your devlog.
Looks great! Hammer could be neat if you made it bigger, and it would continuously go up and down, so you had to dodge it.
Venks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

Downloaded any played your game. No adversaries or anything, but I found the game very relaxing and peaceful. Enjoyed it a lot.
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »

Thanks Tongue Thats pretty much what I was going for. I actually had a different game entirely in mind when I made flit, but time restrictions limited what I could do so I made due. I am thinking of actually making different worlds for flit 2.0 Monochrome world which would be more like mario bros style gameplay, and maybe a couple different worlds for different types of play that you could choose from the menu. Probably gonna make one where you climb a giant tree that is akin to the first flit. Did some more artwork today, not much, but its something... also started on the programming in gamemaker. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to definitely get somewhere. Thanks for the feedback guys.

New Screenies and baddies and stuff (straight from gamemaker... nothing is functional yet but i find it easier to do mockups in gamemaker then in graphics gale)

Also, all this art is for the monochrome world mentioned above.
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »

Didn't get squid done today (I was unpacking Tongue) But tomorrow I got a few things planned out. Sorry for lack of updates to anyone who may possibly be interested lol. Ninja fork ftw  Ninja Hand Fork Left
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »

Ok, besides having a large amount of life things on mah plate lately (17 year old bro having a baby, christmas, umm... stuff) I realized that I utterly hate the drag and drop system in gamemaker... So I decided to use actual code... the issue here being that I know almost nothing about coding (just how it works) and have no idea where to start. The gamemaker wiki is great, but alot of the things that I wish to implement just aren't there. Unfortunately the way that I think the gml should work is not how it actually does lol. So everything has been going extremely slow. I add a code, try to start up the game, and it tells me its broken >.<

Example

Code:
Create
//Sets the direction of the baddie
direction =(random(180 , 0)

Step
// Sets the speed of said baddie
if (direction = 0)
    hspeed = .05;
else if (direction = 180)
    hspeed = -0.5;

//Keeps the speed of the baddie under 1
if (hspeed > 1)
    hspeed = 1;

Now I am not entirely sure what i did wrong lol. I am not asking for you guys to fix it, but maybe point me in the direction to a good tutorial Tongue. Thanks guys, and sorry for the triple post lol :D

EDIT
Oh yeah... and merry christmas Tigs :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:19:00 PM by Dozer » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »

Create
//Sets the direction of the baddie
direction =(random(180 , 0)

Step
// Sets the speed of said baddie
if (direction = 0)
    hspeed = .05;
else if (direction = 180)
    hspeed = -0.5;

//Keeps the speed of the baddie under 1
if (hspeed > 1)
    hspeed = 1;
That first bracket doesn't close. Also, when you get an error, it should tell you where the problem with your code is. If you can't decipher it, just post the error here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic