Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:11:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"Come and See!" My Ludum Dare 16 Entry (Game, ost Mortem, VID)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Come and See!" My Ludum Dare 16 Entry (Game, ost Mortem, VID)  (Read 1569 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »

Come and See!
Entry for Ludum Dare 48: Episode 16

The Game:
http://www.ericmcquiggan.com/Gameuploads/ludumdare/LudumDare48.swf

Controls

W/A/S/D - Movement
E       - Build Improvement
R       - Build Road
T       - Build Dock

Hey Crew! I did it, I got through a Ludum Dare! I've been wanting to get into one of these for at least a year and a half, I didn't have the chance, mostly because they happen right in exam season, but I done graduated!

The theme was "Exploration", which isn't much of stretch for Video games. It got my imagination rolling. One thing that my mind grabbed on was Lewis and Clarke, probably because I listened to a pod-cast on the death of Meriwether Lewis on the way home on Friday. I wanted to make a game with some historical roots, other thoughts are a 'space exploration' or something more abstract. But my mind kept returning to the idea of the famous western explorers and their adventures.

I set the game on an island because thats an easy way to create hard boundaries. I wanted you to be able to find new and interesting flora and fauna, name them, and sell them to distant aristocracy for exorbitant prices. But I could only manage the unfettered expansion of your settlements into the island itself, turning its tranquil simplicity into a criss-crossed bustling seaport.

I named it after the first lyrical part of my favourite Decemberists Song "The Island". The idea of an untamed island untouched by human hand, explorer expeditions venturing into its untamed wilds, finding riches to bring back to the empire. That idealistic Romantic idea struck me and I ran with it.

What went right

-I like it!          - I am proud of what I made, and it's fun in a relaxing way.

-World Generator     - I wrote this in the first half, I'm really happy with how the forests came out, they feel really organic, the scalability is excellent as well.

-Wagons and roads    - The most interesting part! I'm really happy that the roads run and can check their distance from a dock or town, I also like that the wagons follow their paths correctly. If I had another hour, I would've made the wagons adjust their path if a faster one becomes available.

-Flixel rocks socks  - I feel more confident in my flash game crafting then before!

-I am excited for more game making! - Got me out of a funk I've been in a while.

What went wrong

-Inconsistent Art  - I tried out a couple different things. So the character is an bizarrely coloured and abstract, the sea is WTF, and the rest is stylistically ripped from the first 2 Civilizations.

-Shallow game-play - There isn't any challenge, and there isn't much to do.

-No sound!         - This is really lame, I just ran out of time.

- Ran out of time  - I didn't really plan on what I wanted to do, I winged it from start to finish, I came up with the ideas and came up with too many, got stuck doing things that I should've not attempted. Oh well!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »

Cool!  A few more instructions might be nice... What do improvements and docks do?  How do you get able men?  Is there a goal?

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24:09 PM »

if you connect an improvement to a dock or town with a road, a caravan will go along the road, pick up resources and make you Gold!

You can't currently get Able men, they were supposed to be the second currency you had to trade your gold for to get, and you spent them by assigning them to different improvements to make money faster.

Right now there isn't a goal, other then a Sandbox-y 'see what you can do!' kinda thing.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic