Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:58:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesInsane Gamasutra comment thread on Adam Coate's game Flytrap
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Insane Gamasutra comment thread on Adam Coate's game Flytrap  (Read 32945 times)
floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

ahhh man... Sad this thread's stopped being so funny now.

less time analysing the "scene" and more time making games, eh? ahahaha.
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »

aeiowu, pretty good analysis for someone who hasn't created anything better than what's in Flytrap.

OK, this is unacceptable. You're completely outmatched here, yet you still try throw in the dirty jabs. Do you honestly believe that aeiowu hasn't created anything better than what's in Flytrap, or do you really have no clue?

So you didn't do the graphics. You didn't do the programming. Something tells me that neither the artist nor the programmer would have such strong opinions of the quality of the final product as you do right now.

hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »

After reading the Gamasutra thread and this one I have only one piece of advice for you kiwasabi. Stop being an asshole to everyone trying to help you or give their opinions because they are the only ones that can help you. No one's out to get you (before you dug this gigantic hole for yourself).
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2009, 04:04:41 PM »

make a clear, constructive post summing up your views on why you think Flytrap is good?

Flytrap has "simple-but-deep gameplay". It is an incredibly simple game at first glance, but as you get further into the game, you realize that there's a lot of thinking that goes into the timing of your shooting and inhaling depending on what enemies are on the screen, and whether they're angry or not.

Flytrap was structured in such a way to make the game get really crazy if you make mistakes, but then provides you with the tools to get out of even the most insane circumstances. If you shoot an enemy and don't inhale him, he gets angry, which means he'll be faster and have a more erratic behavior pattern (depending on the enemy). The angry enemies quickly make things seem like they're out of hand and impossible, but you always have a good chance of fighting your way back. Once you get down to only having 1-2 lives, you get the super beam, which is about twice as powerful as the regular beam. The super beam allows you to get back up to having a few lives (since as you eat enemies, you grow lives) and get things fairly normal again, then you resume using the regular beam. What all of this ends up meaning for your gameplay experience is that there's a rollercoaster of emotions that you experience as you play well for a while, let your guard down, screw up, and then dig yourself out of crazy situations, which ends up making you feel a great amount of accomplishment. Also, the enemy attacks were all designed so that you can outsmart/trick them so that you can always dodge any attack, so whenever you die, you feel as though you had a chance to survive.

Another interesting innovation is the extra lives, which are actually worked into the gameplay. You can grow up to 9 extra lives, which are all aligned along the bottom of the screen. You need to protect them or else they'll get killed by the enemies. There are also the small enemies who can only hurt your extra lives, which you can stun just by touching, which ends up creating exciting instances where you run across the level and jump in front of your extra life to save it, making the small enemy bounce off of you.

There are a lot more things that I could mention, but these are the main things about Flytrap that set it apart from being yet another Galaga clone.
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2009, 04:06:05 PM »

After reading the Gamasutra thread and this one I have only one piece of advice for you kiwasabi. Stop being an asshole to everyone trying to help you or give their opinions because they are the only ones that can help you. No one's out to get you (before you dug this gigantic hole for yourself).

I'm only being an asshole to people who are going out of their way to criticize anything they can about me or my game just because they don't like how I got myself noticed.
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

OK, this is unacceptable. You're completely outmatched here, yet you still try throw in the dirty jabs. Do you honestly believe that aeiowu hasn't created anything better than what's in Flytrap, or do you really have no clue?

I've looked at his portfolio and have seen nothing that compares to the art in Flytrap. I wouldn't have contracted him to do any art in my game if he had sent me this portfolio.

So you didn't do the graphics. You didn't do the programming. Something tells me that neither the artist nor the programmer would have such strong opinions of the quality of the final product as you do right now.

Because it was just a job to them. This is my life we're talking about.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »

I'm only being an asshole to people who are going out of their way to criticize anything they can about me or my game just because they don't like how I got myself noticed.

Yes, it's a positive feedback loop.
kiwasabi
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »

You're absolutely correct. Like I said before, I have no problem with people giving feedback on my game, but not go out of their way to find flaws with it because they don't like me. I'd like for the negativity to stop just as much as everyone else.

Mentalpatient109
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »

You're absolutely correct. Like I said before, I have no problem with people giving feedback on my game, but not go out of their way to find flaws with it because they don't like me. I'd like for the negativity to stop just as much as everyone else.

Haha what? I thought you specifically asked for clarification as to why your art was bad, and some fine gentlemen went out of his way to help you out.

w/e. I'm now convinced that you're an elaborate hoax dreamed up by Super Joe and Cthulhu.
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

Because it was just a job to them. This is my life we're talking about.

That was kinda my point. Any game, indie or not, is a reflection of its creators. All of them.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2009, 04:35:16 PM »

I was gonna go look at a video or screenshots or info for Flytrap so when I joined in the discussion I wouldn't be an uneducated fool.

Unfortunately, for the life of my I couldn't find anything about the game online or on youtube anywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic