Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:13:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesInsane Gamasutra comment thread on Adam Coate's game Flytrap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Insane Gamasutra comment thread on Adam Coate's game Flytrap  (Read 32944 times)
Botulino
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »

I also have a feeling he's going to show up here, he seems like the kind of person who obsessively googles his own name.

I would google my name everyday should I ever make a game.   Hand Any KeyWho, Me?
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »

I was following this too, very much of a Bob vibe.

Where exactly are the indie games in XBLA? I couldn't find the menu anywhere.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »

Wait, so he pisses his pants over some guy who calls himself "The Negative Gamer" giving his game a negative review?  Facepalm

I thought he was a troll at first, but after reading everything here and on Gamasutra I'm convinced he's just crazy. I also have a feeling he's going to show up here, he seems like the kind of person who obsessively googles his own name.  Screamy

I believe he will appear if we chant his name three times...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »

What country do you live in? They're not available everywhere, unfortunately.  Sad
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »

his last comment on gamasutra said he had re-submitted flytrap to XBLIG and asked fellow creators club members to please try his game and give him some feedback (which im sure he would all answer with "fuck you flytrap is god").

so we went looking for it, being creators club members.
turns out the game isn't available for peer review yet.
but the interesting part is all the peer comment from his last version, which failed the peer review. people said it wasn't even worth playing through the 5 minute timed demo.

we're gonna keep an eye out for it, im super curious to try it now.

hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »

What country do you live in? They're not available everywhere, unfortunately.  Sad

Finland, that's a pretty weird thing to do. Americans Hand Shake LeftSad
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »

Yeah, I know. I'm Austrian, and  we don't have XBLIG here either. I suspect it's some kinda legal bullshit or a "the market is too small, why bother" sort of thing.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »

My guess it has somethign to do with legalities, probably tax laws.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Eraser
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »

Raigan, the point I'm trying to make is that I've been waiving the best game ever made in your faces but you're all too busy going ga-ga over the latest platformer gimmick to notice.

I stopped caring here.
Not worth of my time.

Trolls are everywhere people. Don't feed them.
I mean, I understand trolls are everywhere and not to feed them, but... but... why put SO much effort into trolling like that? I find it too unlikely.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »

At first, I thought the dude was just trolling as well (or purposely saying trollish stuff to drum up publicity for his game), but after what Cthulhu32 posted, I'd guess he's just very disappointed in his game not finding an audience and pretty desperate to get some cash to pay the money he owes his grandpa. Desperate people do stupid things.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »

Is anyone suddenly reminded of BulletBall?

Seems like we're pretty through saying how sad the guy is. Maybe we could turn this into a productive discussion...

Hey, lets post embarrassing PR e-mails you indie devs sent to websites and companies and regretted for the rest of your life. Corny Laugh Therapy says that totally helps!

Or maybe the more boring subject of proper/improper indie marketing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PlayMeTape
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »

The day I make something I'm actually proud of (if ever) is the day I sweep everything else under the rug Wink.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »

This is the internet. Your shame will haunt you forever.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »

Desperate people do stupid things.
I guess so. Trolling for attention is one of the worst things you can do to generate publicity. You'll end up reviled at best, a laughing stock at worst.  Cheesy

Also, this isn't meant to be sarcastic or anything, just a neutral question: Where does the $10000 cost for making an apparently simple, short action game like Flytrap come from? I mean, I couldn't imagine a way to pay even $1 for developing a game, aside from the internet and electricity bills. I really know next to nothing about the "business aspect" of game development and I'd be glad if someone could fill me in there.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »

Also, this isn't meant to be sarcastic or anything, just a neutral question: Where does the $10000 cost for making an apparently simple, short action game like Flytrap come from? I mean, I couldn't imagine a way to pay even $1 for developing a game, aside from the internet and electricity bills.

Completing any game takes a fair amount of time, and time has value.. even if you're doing it yourself - which he didn't; apparently he hired a programmer - you still have to nourish yourself, keep a roof over your head, etc.  Plus it's on xbox, and there usually seem to be costs to get some kind of 'developers kit' for these fancy console things.

(not to mention having a computer, xbox, tv in the first place; chances are these aren't included because he'd have already had them, but they still cost him money at some point)
PlayMeTape
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »

Plus it's on xbox, and there usually seem to be costs to get some kind of 'developers kit' for these fancy console things.

Actually it's on Xbox Live indie games, you don't need a devkit to develop for it. All you need to do is to pay for premium membership on the XNA site (which is like 80 bucks for twelve months if I'm not mistaken).
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »

oh man where's that post derek made with the pr email where they actually thought we were called tiger sauce

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »

Doesn't he have a "regular" job at Sony though? Wouldn't that take care of a lot the expenses?

Nope, he was let go a while ago from Sony. He was working some odd jobs but to my knowledge his girlfriend is currently the bread winner of their house. He was banking on this game bringing in a lot of money, so I'm not really sure what he's going to do :/

just a guy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »

Has anyone seen this game yet? I have yet to see what it is. I want to see why he thinks it should be worth $5.

That reminds me, maybe I should get weapon of choice.. Who, Me?
exodus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 06:07:19 PM »

Yo, this is brandon sheffieldzzzz

for anyone who's confused about his comments about women and consuming/eating, I'm 99% sure it came from here: http://www.insertcredit.com/features/gdc2004/iwatani.html

for the TLDR crowd, here's the important bit:

Iwatani made two more unsuccesful games, before he noticed the nature of videogames, and the audience they attracted. Iwatani observed that nearly all videogame players in the early '80s were socially-inept males. Where were the women, he wondered -- and why were videogames considered so culturally unacceptable? He decided that it might be because so many games -- and here is where his Galaxian example comes in -- revolve around shooting. While the games might be enjoyable, there is this constant theme of destruction; of killing. What, Iwatani wondered, would a game for women involve? What drives women on?

His answer: fashion, and eating.

As a result, he built a game where the goal is to eat all of the cookies ("dots", to us Westerners) in sight. If any other food happens to pop on screen -- such as a piece of fruit -- all the better. Eat that, too. All the time, the player is chased, and hemmed in, by a trio of colorful monsters (and one confused free-roamer), each with its own unique strategy.

ok bye bye
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic