Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:43:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2GUYMAN HERO! [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: GUYMAN HERO! [FINISHED]  (Read 18990 times)
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:45 AM »

GUYMAN HERO!

A tough-as-nails, NES style, sadistic platform shooter inspired by games such as "I Wanna Be the Guy" and "MoneySeize".

Compo Build (latest bugfix build 2010-01-18)
PLAY GUYMAN HERO AT GAMEJOLT
GUYMAN HERO DIRECT DOWNLOAD

Video
update 2010-01-13

Controls
arrow keys
z - fire
shift - jump
r - restart

Assets
ETG
atuun
Jorge Boscan
TEM
my own FX pack
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:13:47 AM by feeblethemighty » Logged

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »

Those sprites suddenly look like Castle Crashers to me.

Yes please Ikari Warriors.

|
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »

Nice. I was hoping someone would use the truck. Just played the demo. Obviously it's early days yet, but you've already got the fun in there, so a solid start, I'd say. And yeah, the controls work pretty good for me.

Biggest problem - I don't know whether this is a bug or just something you haven't implemented yet - is that when I die nothing happens, and I have to quit and restart the .exe in order to play again.

And I have to confess that a mean part of me really enjoys using my sprites to destroy Oryx's  Evil. I know this makes mee a bad person.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »

Biggest problem - I don't know whether this is a bug or just something you haven't implemented yet - is that when I die nothing happens, and I have to quit and restart the .exe in order to play again.

Yeah, haven't got to handling player death yet.  Just trying to get basics down first.  I keep getting side-tracked and just playing the game instead of working on it.  Embarrassed

I'm planning on implementing two-player eventually as well and getting a mech in there as another vehicle, obviously because your sprites are amazing.

A question: is it difficult to see where your player character is when not in a vehicle?  I'm not sure how to solve this.  I can't make the character bigger because then it looks like interpolated crap.  Any hints?

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »

Aren't those guys oddball and not oryx?

Killing low-fi guys with higher-fi guys (not to be confused with

) has been a contest-long fantasy for me. Finally someone came along and paved the way!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »

And I also expect a sequel '2D Must Die!'. Tongue

I'm gonna have to dust off my old Windows laptop so I can start trying out these entries.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »

I'm gonna have to dust off my old Windows laptop so I can start trying out these entries.
Please do!  There seems to be a ton of good stuff in this compo.  Plus, then you get to destroy your own creations!  Wink

Update!  I did a little work and managed to get a somewhat working "Hostages" mechanic working.  Basically, the aim of the game will be to rescue hostages and not to destroy everything.  Blue hostages (i haven't found a good sprite for special hostages yet) will upgrade your guns.  Blow up the townhouse to save them!

New version here: LOFI MUST DIE! 2009-12-16

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »

Not sure if this is against the rules, but i've completely changed my mind about my project.  I noticed that no-one was using the great little platforming sprites from ETG so i tried them out and decided to make something using strictly these sprites.  I feel it's a much more cohesive idea and look.

No offense to dbb and oddball whose sprites i was using.  Your sprites are great, but are being used elsewhere.

Here's a taste of my new project (working title GUNMAN).

And below is my previous project and first post.

Hey folks,

I was just messing around in Construct when suddenly, out of nowhere, a game appears!  I wasn't going to enter part 2, but i ended up with something moderately playable and something i feel like i can finish.  Mostly because i always get stuck making graphical assets which is not a problem here!

Note that i thought the name just sounds good and i in no way hate the lo-fi graphics.  I am, after all, using them in my game too.

Gameplay:
I was inspired by dbb's graphic of the truck with a turret on top.  I immediately thought of this old NES shmup called Jackal and started making a clone.  Not being able to find enough of a diverse top-down sprite collection in Assemblee Part One, i decided to make enemies using the very popular lo-fi sprites.  Basically, shoot lots of enemies and rescue people to gain points and upgrade your guns to be able to shoot lots more enemies.

Screenshot:

Latest Update 2009-12-16:
Update!  I did a little work and managed to get a somewhat working "Hostages" mechanic working.  Basically, the aim of the game will be to rescue hostages and not to destroy everything.  Blue hostages (i haven't found a good sprite for special hostages yet) will upgrade your guns.  Blow up the townhouse to save them!

New version here: LOFI MUST DIE! 2009-12-16

Previous versions:
LOFIMUSTDIE 2009-12-14

Controls:
Arrow keys = movement
S = fire primary weapon (both in vehicle and walking)
A and D = rotate turret (in vehicle)
W = fire secondary weapon (in vehicle)

Assets used:
dbb
oddball
frankiesmileshow
(there are others, i just hadn't organized myself to keep track.  i'll find out soon)

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »

No offense to dbb and oddball whose sprites i was using.  Your sprites are great, but are being used elsewhere.

None taken! Yeah, my sprites are being used in a couple of other great-looking games, so I'm still happy, and there's a lot of other stuff out there that isn't getting enough attention. I'll have a go at your new demo later - Assemblee demos are coming out thick and fast right now and I'm building up a bit of a backlog.

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »

Nice, this feels pretty cool. Not being able to shoot vertically is a bit frustrating though. Keep going I like the feel of it. (Is it possible to not blur the main character sprite?)
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »

Not being able to shoot vertically is a bit frustrating though.

Yeah, that's actually a limitation of ETG's sprites.  He didn't sprite any characters aiming up.  So, i thought i'd just roll with it.  Maybe it's also extra frustrating because the first enemy you encounter is floating high above you.  Tongue

(Is it possible to not blur the main character sprite?)

I think so.  I'm a bit of a Construct newbie and it likes to interpolate all it can.  I'll look into it.

I'm most excited about trying to give the whole game a kind of Killer7 gradient look.  Should be neat if it works.  Stay tuned.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:25:27 PM »

I love stark contrast in games. Makes me feel like I'm playing an Apple II or something.

Yay limitations!

|
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 01:50:58 PM »

Not being able to shoot vertically is a bit frustrating though.

Yeah, that's actually a limitation of ETG's sprites.  He didn't sprite any characters aiming up.  So, i thought i'd just roll with it.  Maybe it's also extra frustrating because the first enemy you encounter is floating high above you.  Tongue

(Is it possible to not blur the main character sprite?)

I think so.  I'm a bit of a Construct newbie and it likes to interpolate all it can.  I'll look into it.

I'm most excited about trying to give the whole game a kind of Killer7 gradient look.  Should be neat if it works.  Stay tuned.

Seems like you could just make them always dip low enough to allow for shooting occasionally, or alternatively handle it via weapons like homing rockets, or a screen bomb, or a grenade that detonates in a vertical beam.
ETG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

This makes me so happy.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing an up frame. I even took a sprite sheet of contra 3, resized it, and had it sitting right next to mine as I worked. Having less vertical room might help it feel better.

It seems I must update my DirectX before I can try it.
Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

Hahaha

Please be friend of me.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »

I love stark contrast in games. Makes me feel like I'm playing an Apple II or something.
Excellent because i plan to mess with the asthetics of this game a lot.  I'm feeling inspired by Killer7's crazy gradient shading.  In fact...

I figured out how to do the gradient shading which took a little messing around in Construct.  Check it out in the new build.

Gunman Hero 2009-12-20

Also, i decided on what i'm going to do with the story and decided to go with Gunman Hero for the title.  It will play with the idea of the video game uber hero like the guys in Contra.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »

Whoa, I love the game's new look!

And...  I took the plunge.   Concerned

hi
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »

The plunge?  You mean you walked all the way to the end?  The game doesn't tell you, but you won!  Beer!

You should look at it again.  I changed the background.  It looks even more awesome now.

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »

I died and this ship has been dropping bombs on my dead body for like ten minutes. I mean, I am clearly a threat to these ships so I can understand he wants to make sure I am dead, but he has probably spent hundreds of bombs on me by now. Were all these bombs made solely for me? And even then, why not save these bombs for the next threat?

Unless I am the only threat.

What sort of monster am I? They want me dead, but upon killing me they begin to throw away their weapons, weapons they obviously created only to take me out. Was I attacking a peaceful society? Was I the one rebel menace? He's still dropping bombs as I type this, so he was definitely overstocked. They expected me to be harder, prepared for a battle that would possibly last hours. What did I do in the past that made them prepare this way? How many of them did I kill single-handedly? And why did I attack what was clearly a peaceful culture who had no use for weapons?

Oh, wait, just figured out that R restarts. Gonna try again!

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »

Not exactly the story i was going for, but i like it!  That was impressive, Kazerad.

Hand ClapCheesy

I'm actually not sure how much "story" there will be.  It might just be a stylized shooter.  This will be the first game i ever finish if i do end up finishing it.  But, please!  Keep over-interpreting it!  I think more games should be over-interpreted as a sort of creative exercise.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic