Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:59:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Katakijin Thread (RELEASE DATE)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Katakijin Thread (RELEASE DATE)  (Read 59333 times)
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 07:14:29 AM »

Runs very smoothly now. Almost no slowdown on this crappy laptop Smiley.
Anyway,
I saw
Additionally, you jump even higher if you dash first.
So the first thing I do is see if you put a secret passage in that one area...

... and I ran up the sky Cry
You need to raise it, or put a hidden path there, my friend.

Actually, there is, and it's a shortcut to the boss, with some spikes and stuff on the way. I blocked it because I wanted to have something extra for those who played the demo when the full game hits.
medieval
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »

Wupps, 64D is down after total chaos since GearGOD hacked them  Smiley
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 07:04:36 PM »

Finally beat that room with a crap ton of dudes. The boss up of there is awesome. Like, perfectly balanced Kiss. Good job on that, ultim8.
After I beat him, I headed right, and I went through the mothafuck'n floor and teleported back. To make sure it wasn't any freakish bug, I went right again, went through the floor again, but this time the screen turned black instead of teleporting me.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »

Finally beat that room with a crap ton of dudes. The boss up of there is awesome. Like, perfectly balanced Kiss. Good job on that, ultim8.
After I beat him, I headed right, and I went through the mothafuck'n floor and teleported back. To make sure it wasn't any freakish bug, I went right again, went through the floor again, but this time the screen turned black instead of teleporting me.

Yeah, I was too lazy to add in a proper "End of Demo" screen after that boss fight. If you watch the video I'm going to post after this, you would see that the screen fades. There is a cutscene after that bossfight, but I just added in a wrap fn so you don't get to the next room, which by the way takes place on the way to the city and there are archers.

WATCH THE MASTAH PLAY!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:01:25 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »

Nice bit of game you have going on here.

I really liked the presentation of the game.

Very good looking graphically.

The jumping felt a little bit loose to me however. Sometimes when I would try to jump up to a ledge I would instead jump in the opposite direction.

The combat is quite good and I liked the tight controls. I felt like I had a lot of precision over my fighting.

Yes, having to fight behind a giant bush is annoying but I wouldn't take out the bushes I would just trim them down a bit.

I have to agree with HandCraftedRadio that the enemies did get pretty repetitive after awhile (a quick while) and it would be nice if there were more types of enemies with different attacks.

All in all though I would say that this is shaping up into a good game. I look forward to playing the final version.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 10:36:45 AM »

First things first, getting to actually play the game was a chore. The first time you load it it takes ages, and then I go to the control customization screen, and since there is no indication as to how I get off it after I'm done I press Esc, and leave the game.

Get rid of GM's whole 'Esc to quit game instantly' crap, please. And you might wanna consider using external resources and such to lessen the initial loading time.

Now, onto the actual game. I really like that you're trying to create a deep combat system. Being a fan of Devil May Cry 3 (I never got the chance to play Ninja Gaiden, though I definitely wouldn't refuse the opportunity) I like to have full control over my character.

I don't mind the steep difficulty as long as you work out better how the game behaves after you die. It shouldn't go back to the opening, but perhaps ask you if you'd like to retry so that you can quickly go back to the action. You might wanna consider adding checkpoints, maybe to lower difficulty settings.

I personally believe that nothing should block the view of the action. The props you added often go in the way of the actual characters, and in a fast-paced action game where the first enemy can kill you if you're careless that's a big no-no. Get rid of them, or make them very small, or add some type of high transparency effect.

The controls were mostly very nice, but I found that sometimes after being hit, my character would simply turn the other way. Which made me trying to hit the enemy back sometimes leave me even more open since I'm attacking the wrong direction.

If you want people to be able to get into the game more easily you might wanna add a tutorial level (like a training dojo) where the player can try out the simplest manuevers (like how to attack, roll, and navigate environments). One thing I learned is that 90% of gamers do NOT read read-mes or manuals.

So far though I really like it. It runs mostly smoothly (besides the loading) with some tearing of the graphics though that's most probably my own shitty video card (it happens with me when I play a lot of GM games).

I'll wait until you fix it up some more before trying it again. I got to the part past where the white ninjas start to pop up.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »

New bug found!
You can work your way into a wall by doing either downward slash (down+minor attack after bouncing off something, or just jumping and down+major attack) with your back to a wall.

Alsooo, I really only have words of praise for your game, Ultim8p00. It has remained, even in spite of it being a demo, a game I play to pass time, which is an honor only games I find to actually be truly fun have.

You wouldn't mind the game being posted on the front page, would ja?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:37:58 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »

New bug found!
You can work your way into a wall by doing either downward slash (down+minor attack after bouncing off something, or just jumping and down+major attack) with your back to a wall.

Alsooo, I really only have words of praise for your game, Ultim8p00. It has remained, even in spite of it being a demo, a game I play to pass time, which is an honor only games I find to actually be truly fun have.

You wouldn't mind the game being posted on the front page, would ja?

Are you kidding me? Would I mind? IT WOULD BE AN AWESOME HONOR!

So, I got my hands on Devil May Cry 4 two days ago. It's pretty awesome. I like how you use only one button for attacks and attacks vary on timing. I'll be incorporating some of that in Katakijin. Like when you get to a higher level, some combos you had in the previous level can branch off into different ones depending on your timing.

New Ninpos I have coded in:

Fire Wheels: Summons fire that rotates around you. Very usefull for racking up...erm I mean killing enemies. This isn't a combo game.

Lighting Strike: Pretty Obvious what it does. It hurts people with lighning.
I'll post some screenshots on Saturday.

Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »

My ass is really, really liking it.

That said, for the love of god I was configuring the options and tried to go back to the menu and it quit on me.

The screen looks like it's 512x384 on a 640x480. I'm having the problem now of not really being able to enjoy 320x240 games because my screen won't handle it. I don't know how it is in game maker, but I've seen at least one game that can do it: scaling the display to different screen resolutions.

So when 2012 comes, I'll still be able to enjoy your game on any resolution.

I wrote something called FES and ZIRL: FES and ZIRL

Currently the ceiling bug is something of a BAF and it holds the game back combined with the OTT.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »

Those totally don't need to be acronyms.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »

Dude - that game kicks major ass. Gameplay-wise this might be one of the better indie titles I've ever played. =)

Could you tell me how to get out of the control settings screen, though? Esc exits the game. ^^

Ah - a small suggestion although it might ruin the game if implemented improperly: what would you think about the hitpoints recharging between fights? I'd like to see each fight as a separate challenge and not think about the fact that I screwed up several screens ago and am too weak to go on but maybe that's just me. It's a system that hasn't been used much in older games but became very popular recently. Of course the damage in each fight would have to go up. I don't know - maybe this is a idea too crazy for you and against your design idea which is awesome enough. =)

The game didn't run too slowly for me but I'm not somebody to judge the average player by because I have a quite good PC.

P.S. Some spoilers on good combos and/or moves? I managed to pull of some crazy tornado-shit but that wasn't too hard to find out, I guess. :-D

Update: LOL - I noticed the the tornado is simply the "magic" move. I did when I thought that I was pressing the block key but that hasn't been configured properly...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:34:11 PM by Lim-Dul » Logged

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
srduncan
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »

AH!!! i want to play this game SO bad Shocked ...but the bandwidth has been exceeded! could you host the game elsewhere please???  thanks

by the way,  it looks amazing AND i am a big fan of the two games that it has been compared to.  (knytt and nikujin)   
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 10:32:08 PM »

http://64digits.com/users/ultim8p00/Katakijin_escfix_.zip

Hey folks, that's a link with an ESC FIX! So you should be able to play with reconfigured keys now.

Sorry about the ESC, and thank you all VERY much for the support/encouragement/criticism. You guys rock.
ragathon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »

this game is boring and repetative, it's only fun because of the fighting engine. make it more of a precision platformer like nikujin, improve the graphics, and make the level design more interesting and challenging.
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 10:50:40 PM »

I hate to pile on the bugs, but...

feature or bug?  Tongue
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »

And Mr. Poo, how far did you get in Nikujin?
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 11:21:44 PM »

I hate to pile on the bugs, but...

feature or bug?  Tongue

There's that nasty clone bug again. I keep playing over and over and I never run into it. Other's play it the first few times and it happens.

this game is boring and repetative, it's only fun because of the fighting engine. make it more of a precision platformer like nikujin, improve the graphics, and make the level design more interesting and challenging.
I will make sure to follow your commands with unwavering obedience, O he who's mighty rule stretches to the far corners of the earth. Also, this is not a Nikujin clone Wink.

And Mr. Poo, how far did you get in Nikujin?
As for how far I got in Nikujin, I got to the part where there were all these staff-wielding ninjas walking on spikes and you had to use them to get up. I stopped there. It was just way too hard to get that timing right for me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:31:14 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 01:14:36 AM »

Ok. Wow. First things first: Awesome game.
Now, for bugs and comments and stuff:
--in the far corner of the underground section, I ran up the wall and got stuck inside. Shortcut or glitch? I could jump around a bit but couldn't get out.
--combos vs kills: it's flashy to get a 150 combo with a ninpo tornado.. but at times I've killed enemies in 4 hits, and that's way cooler. A ninja is focused on killing as quick as possible, not getting 20 hits.. if it takes 20 hits to kill then you're not very good at killing Smiley. IMHO, maybe if you can manage to combo and enemy really long that determines if they drop health or ninpo charge, or something. I know in Ninja Gaiden you got points for long combos (shurikens ftw :D ). Something to think about.
Keep it up! Can't wait to get past the arena-room and fight the boss.
And can't wait for the second level.

EDIT: I keep getting the clone glitch Sad. Would make a cool special. Also, just crashed with this.

for object Ninja:

Error in expression:nface.onit>0
 position 7: Unknown variable onit

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 01:32:36 AM by MekanikDestructiwKommando » Logged

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
MrBig
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »

--combos vs kills: it's flashy to get a 150 combo with a ninpo tornado.. but at times I've killed enemies in 4 hits, and that's way cooler. A ninja is focused on killing as quick as possible, not getting 20 hits.. if it takes 20 hits to kill then you're not very good at killing Smiley. IMHO, maybe if you can manage to combo and enemy really long that determines if they drop health or ninpo charge, or something. I know in Ninja Gaiden you got points for long combos (shurikens ftw :D ). Something to think about.
Keep it up! Can't wait to get past the arena-room and fight the boss.
And can't wait for the second level.

Actually I think the combo system works just fine because if you have played Ninja Gaiden or (NG:Black) you can pull off insane 99 hit combos.  Even though it is in the best interest of a Ninja to perform their kill in as few movements as possible (quickly and silently) Ninja Gaiden throws this whole theory out the window... but instead makes for an intense and satisfying lighting quick game...  that can be a lot of fun (if not a little frustrating at times). 

I think what's important is to develop the way that the combos are going to evolve.  Right now we're only treated to the first level and since this is a work in progress I'm sure we'll see many more combo mix ups and perhaps an evolution in new moves with each new level (kinda like Ninja Gaiden).

Game's looking great so far though!
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

--in the far corner of the underground section, I ran up the wall and got stuck inside. Shortcut or glitch? I could jump around a bit but couldn't get out.
Yeah, that happened to me once, too. Also, I'm still getting some lag whenever there's a lot of particle effects on the screen, but that's probably because of my crappy computer. Still a really fun game!

(also: Magma reference, awesome Grin)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic