Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:09:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Katakijin Thread (RELEASE DATE)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: The Katakijin Thread (RELEASE DATE)  (Read 59488 times)
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »

1. Cooperative and Versus multiplayer (This might be 1 of the only 2d indy games I've ever played that could stand on its on with some multiplayer)
Heck yeah, Ninja Vs. Ninja fights would be awesome.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »

For multiplayer to be fun, the combo system would have to be redesigned for sure  Undecided

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
jatz
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »

Hey, I'm really enjoying the game. So far I've experienced the clone bug twice. Just now I got this error and had to choose 'abort' because 'ignore' just resulted in the same error.
for object btrl4a:

Error in code at line 1:
   sprite_index=slash2c.sprite_index

at position 22: Unknown variable sprite_index

Keep up the good work.
DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »

I really like it, and haven't run into any errors. My only piece of advice, and this isn't because I don't like the game, is the whole faster kills thing, and tighter controls+a little more platforming, but these are just preference. Also for the faster kills overkills should give cooler animations and stuff, plus "boss" enemies appearing now and then for longer fights. But really it's the platforming and fast kills that I want because then you would've pretty much effectively revolutionised the stealth-pkatformer-ninja genre.

Some ideas for unlockables would be more weapons, flashier moves depending on the longest combo you've ended it with, a naked ninja character, and a few ultimately difficult platforming levels, which brings me to point out that there should be acrobatics you learn throughout the game which add more ninja-ing.
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »

There's a boss at the end of the demo Wink
Yes.. spikes, traps, crumbling walls, oh my! Ultima8Poo I recommend you get the fighting down 90% before you try to put in walls and traps and platforming.. otherwise you'll get featuritis  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »

We can pretty much rule out online, co-op, and multiplayer. This will be single player only.

I'm very very behind on development on this. I wanted to have this finished by the first week of March, but it doesn't look like I'm gonna make it.

Here's a progress report:

-Added in FOUR attack animations for enemies. They now have a ranged attack and can hit you from afar. Not only does it push you and damages you multiple times, but it stuns you as well.

-Ninpo attacks now have stocks like Ninja Gaiden. You get a stock by obtaining a Ninpo orb.

-FS attack has been rendered pretty useless when fighting more than two enemies. It still does a lot of damage, but you will almost always get owned during the recovery frame if there are more than a a couple of enemies with you.

-There's a new bar. You fill it up with combos. When full, activate the Spirit of Vengeance.

-Started working on the Road to Zahjety level. It takes place on the road to Zahjety, Zahjety being the main town where shit happens.

-I switched the collision code! I have tested the code over and over and I haven't run into any collision glitches! I will need some people to test this for me though, so I'll be releasing a collision test soon
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:25:12 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2008, 11:08:17 PM »

-Started working on the Road to Zahjety level. It takes place on the road to Zahjety, Zahjety being the main town where shit happens.

Shit being ninjas, demons and other assorted lethal things coming out of every hole and crevice.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »

Ranged attacks? Combo bar? No multiplayer?
Sounds brilliant. Post a version please!

ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »

Sweet! Someone made a video of them playing Katakijin!

The only thing that is pissing me off is how he is abusing the dash, uppercut, then FS thing. Argh it pisses me off! I feel like yelling at him "YOU SUCK YOU NOOB! YOU ARE NOT PLAYING IT RIGHT" lol.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ju2v8YMZVS0

It's a cool video though. I think I'll make it so the spirit of vengeance bar depletes with every dash/cancel you make.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:38:42 PM by ultim8p00 » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »

The only thing that is pissing me off is how he is abusing the dash, uppercut, then FS thing. Argh it pisses me off! I feel like yelling at him "YOU SUCK YOU NOOB! YOU ARE NOT PLAYING IT RIGHT" lol.

In this case you should yell at the designer that allowed those abuses Lips Sealed Can't blame a player for doing what the game allows him/encourages him to do  Smiley

Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »

In this case you should yell at the designer that allowed those abuses Lips Sealed Can't blame a player for doing what the game allows him/encourages him to do  Smiley

As players, we will hack your game to find the optimum methods for our skills  Wink

Edit: What move is Flying Swallow? Is that the forward+attack1 air move? Or the one that launches enemy into air?

Edit: Cancels draining a special bar is a good system Smiley
Giving the enemy the chance to do combos and cancels too..   Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 06:36:30 PM by MekanikDestructiwKommando » Logged

ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »

As players, we will hack your game to find the optimum methods for our skills  Wink

Edit: What move is Flying Swallow? Is that the forward+attack1 air move? Or the one that launches enemy into air?

Edit: Cancels draining a special bar is a good system Smiley
Giving the enemy the chance to do combos and cancels too..   Smiley

The flying swallow is the one where he flies at the enemy and hacks them mid air. It's funny, you make something, you always think about the right ways the player is going to use it. You never think of the wrong way.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »

Hence the pertinency of play testing Smiley

ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »

Hence the pertinency of play testing Smiley
True that.

Btw, I encourage anyone who can to make a video of how you are playing and upload it on youtube if you can. Sound doesn't matter. I just need to have an idea of how people approach combat.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »

Indeed, even if you create the things yourself you can't fully predict all their uses often, so seeing videos like those is actually a very good thing for you. Now you can be better aware of possible exploits and work around them.

And yes, video feedback is good. You should also find friends and family for you to watch them play your game (if they're interested, of course). Sit behind them and watch them play, once every couple of days if they really like it and keep playing it. It can do wonders for you to know how people approach every aspect of your game and the areas they have the most difficulty with, as well as those which are too easy or exploitable.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »

The only thing to do now is to out in some way that when the player abuses the system to send a little electrified shock back to his/her keyboard. That'll teach that bastard.

:D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »

Maybe for online mode, you can put yourself as the Boss character. When someone reaches the Boss, you (Ultimat8Poo) take control of the Boss.. and show off "best Ninja AI ever".

Haha, I loved those moments in Ninja Gaiden when I exclaimed "wow. The boss just comboed the shit out of me"
 Cool

ZeppMan217
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »

Up. Any updates?

City 217 citizen.
"We do what we must because we can"
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

Due to that fucking storm that swept over Kansas, about 10% of my progress was undone. Good thing the trusty gamemaker backup system was doing it's thing or Katakijin would have been completely lost. I didn't loose too much though. I lost the two new enemies I added, and that's about it. The new collision code is still there, but the road to Zahjety is gone. The sprites for the new enemies are still there, so I just have to re-code their AI and stuff.

Anyways, here's a new demo for you guys to test out. I think I have perfected the engine pretty well, as I haven't run into any collision bugs. In this demo, the enemies are more difficult because they have new attacks. Also, you can't spam attacks any more as the new KI bar takes care of that. KI depletes with every power move you use, but increases with every hit you make. You can use Ninpo attacks only when your KI bar is full (Spirit of Vengeance is still being fleshed out). If you try to spam, you will loose KI and you will probably get punished. Countering increases KI a lot. There are some destructible objects. The big thing though, is that the moveset has been reduced to Level 1. A lot of the moves that were in the previous demo are not available. This is how you will start the final game, with a Level 1 sword. Also, those agile enough will discover that there are alternate routes now.
http://64digits.com/users/ultim8p00/Katakijin_v1.1.rar

Tell me what you think. I really need to know if the collision errors are gone, and what other errors you are getting. Sorry I took so long to update, but I'm back on track now.
ZeppMan217
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:44 AM »

Boss health bar please =) No bugs or anything like this noticed yet.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:35:39 AM by ZeppMan217 » Logged

City 217 citizen.
"We do what we must because we can"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic