Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:27:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]  (Read 191065 times)
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:39:22 AM »

Our Assemblee Part 2 entry is a massively co-op fantasy adventure called:

Realm of the Mad God

You have been captured by the Mad God Oryx and transported to his realm as food for his vile minions.  Will you proceed quietly to your fate or fight back?

Play online at http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

Instructions: WASDQE to move, click to shoot, enter to chat.  Try to find and kill Oryx and his minions.

Features:

• Massively co-op online gameplay
  • A huge living world with thousands of enemies
  • Real-time action combat
  • Leveling, loot, equipment and magic
  • No download!  Flash client

Credits:
  • Design and programming: Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios
  • Additional design and programming: Amit Patel
  • Art: Oryx, Geeze, Oddball
  • Font: agj
  • Sound Effects: John Nesky, feeblethemighty, Big Lon, boomlinde
  • Music: Craig Stern

Revision history:

• See http://forums.wildshadow.com/ for the latest info
  • 1/25/2010 -- Build 72 -- Improved monster death details, separate wizard and priest spells
  • 1/18/2010 -- Build 71 -- 'N' key toggles all sound, drag objects to drop them, empty bags disappear, new enemy shot patterns, fixes
  • 1/14/2010 -- Build 69 -- Add unlockable paladin class, fix item dupe exploit
  • 1/12/2010 -- Build 67 -- Character autosave
  • 1/11/2010 -- Build 66 -- Buffs to Oryx, level cap set to 20, players drop items at death, fixes & adjustments
  • 1/10/2010 -- Build 65 -- Music, unlockable knight character, Oryx appears, moving spawn point, fixes, final version for competition
  • 1/10/2010 -- Build 62 -- Sound effects, more monsters, equipment stats upgrades, more Oryx taunts
  • 1/9/2010 -- Build 59 -- 50 new monsters, 50 new loot drops, XP splitting, 'T' for autofire, minimap upgrades (+/- zoom), new monster spawning algorithm
  • 1/8/2010 -- Build 47 -- Loot drops, spells, equipment, stats, stat gains on levelup, tougher enemy AI, dragons, Oryx's countdown, performance improvements
  • 1/6/2010 -- Build 35 -- Fixes, UI upgrades, start on spells and potions
  • 1/5/2010 -- Initial work-in-progress build

Wild Shadow Studios (Rob & Alex)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:15:03 AM by Wild Shadow » Logged

Wild Shadow Studios -- wildshadow.com
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:44:08 AM »

Easy and fun to get into and (of course) looks great with Oryx's art, good work on a nice clean interface as well.

Some current minuses:

* please consider changing keys to wasd to move and qe to rotate, rather than ad to rotate.

* on Chrome and FF it seems to eat RAM with each death. Started around 220,000 and got up to 800,000...stuff got a little jerky after a few deaths.

Definitely will be playing this!  Beer!

edit: just tried to connect again and the client tried to connect to localhost after the character screen -- not sure if this is a bug or if you all were doing something on your end.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:48:57 AM by george » Logged
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:59:43 AM »

Localhost thing is now fixed (pushed the debug version by mistake!).

Thanks for playing!  We appreciate it!

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:46:30 AM »

Hi! Good game base! Looks nice, good use of resources, fast update speeds, not slow to play. I played the archer.

* Game as it is is almost unplayable on laptop (that it, not using a mouse). Mousepad + button for firing while moving with wasd is clumsy. You could improve that by mapping 8-way fire buttons to the keyboard
* World is VERY large, but not very interesting. No cities or dungeons that I could find... If they exist, then the world might be too large simply because I couldn't locate them. I actually tried circumventing the world moving along the upper end of the universe Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:50:03 AM »

whoa, this is really fun. haven't seen a lot of games in the compo that made me want more; this is definitely one of them. looking forward to see how more awesome can it get! Gentleman

* please consider changing keys to wasd to move and qe to rotate, rather than ad to rotate.
seconded, then the second thirded.

Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »

seconded, then the second thirded.
Thirded. Despite reason I was going to Q and E to turn and it stafed me, it made me die one time as a Warrior.

The game definitely has potential. I can't wait until enemies drop stuff and you can save and load. :D

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »

Very fun start! I get Diablo vibes as I play, as the frantic nature of the combat lends itself nicely to that sort of game.

The screen is very cramped. I cannot see monsters until I'm practically on top of them. I find myself looking at the radar more than the play area, which is good for finding monsters, but bad when there are trees in the way.

Everything else I could say pretty much boils down to "Add more stuff to the game", which I'm sure you're doing.

Good luck!

-SirNiko
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »

I also get a little stickiness in controls, where if you hold a key down for a second or more, you don't stop on a key up. Not sure if that's lag or in the game itself.
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:51:58 AM »

For those annoyed by A/D for rotate and Q/E for strafe:  you may now toggle the controls by hitting '0' (zero).  This will let you strafe with A/D and rotate with Q/E.

The server is now simulating 40,000 monsters!  The record is 5 concurrent players so far.

Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Still a greatly fun game, guys!  I was playing under the name Pork before.  Has anyone beaten my record of level 9?  Or has the game gotten harder since I last played?

Also, when do you think items will appear?  I'm looking forward to them.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »

I was running into some server lag, things would hit me with shots I couldn't see and the fog of war refused to load. I guess it could be my connection but it's pretty fast.

Despite that this is a cool little game, couple people were on and we fought a bunch of angry trees.
Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

Found some bugs that I couldn't kill with my wizard's staff.

First, I think it's just related to lag, but I'll occasionally walk faster than terrain loads, making the terrain end black squares in my main window.  I normally just wait for it to load and then continue, but if I go quickly enough, I can get out into the black space and walk freely.  Doing so, I managed to get out over squares that would eventually load as water, leaving me trapped in the middle once they loaded.  This could perhaps be fixed just by making unloaded squares unwalkable.

Similarly, Red Spiders will sometimes start moving in one direction at a constant speed (instead of jerking around like they usually do), passing through unwalkable squares (including trees and water), not firing.  They will then very quickly move back to a sensible location.  I'm guessing this is just an issue in motion prediction in the client.  It's mostly cosmetic, and likely only affects suckers like me with connections that drop out for short times, so might not be worth fixing.

Finally, this only happened once, but I encountered a blind invincible Red Spider.  I hit it many times directly on without it dying, but all the while it was shooting off in a different direction (not at me, and no one else was around).  I can't even guess what caused that one.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

ahh.. spiders.. that makes much more sense.

I kept thinking they were octorocks or something.  Big Laff
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:23 PM »

ahh.. spiders.. that makes much more sense.

I kept thinking they were octorocks or something.  Big Laff
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »

I played it for a minute or two, found absolutely no enemies. There was someone else playing with me. But the hog killed all of them before I got there. <.<

I'll try again after the deadline.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

I think this will feel a lot better once you get in sound effects and more substantial-feeling weapon impacts. It seems like a good solid foundation, I'll definitely be interested in playing future releases.
Tempel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 08:33:14 PM »

Beat my own record (reached level 10), mostly by killing Ents.  I wiped out their army in order to protect us from the Ent menace.

I'm not a racist, but I play one in your video game.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 12:49:11 AM »

Needs more stat boosts and sweet loot!

hi
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »

We made a number of user interface updates today, such as adding little names underneath other players, and adding green minimap dots to represent other players.  We bumped the server's monster limit to 40,000 creatures, and scattered ruined temples around the landscape.  Each monster type now has a preferred terrain type, so you should see monsters clustering in their preferred areas.  We started adding spells (shift-click while playing the wizard) and potions. 

Thanks to everyone who has played so far.  We really appreciate the feedback!  Please keep the bug reports coming!

Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 02:19:11 AM »

Pretty stylish game so far.  I agree that once you get some sound in, and visual feedback for weapons connecting, the combat will start to feel more substantial. 

One minor bug: for some reason as I'm logging in, there's a bunch of slowdown and Safari claims to be "Not responding" for maybe one or two seconds.  Then it finishes logging in and everything's fine.  Nothing gamebreaking, just a minor nuisance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic