Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411625 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 07:39:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPlayPen - Collaborative world exploration buildathon
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PlayPen - Collaborative world exploration buildathon  (Read 10659 times)
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »

Imagine if TIGer Paint and MediaWiki had a baby. This baby, recently sprung from my mind-loins, is PlayPen!

I figured if I let people string together a network of their own hand-pixelled scenery they're create a adventure game style world of beauty and intrigue. Or a mountain of cocks. Let's see what happens Grin

Having never run anything like this before (and being really shitty at web programming) I'd really love to hear some feedback. Could stuff be better? Is stuff not working? Is it easy enough to understand what's going on? Are people misbehaving or behaving themselves too much?

PS: To find most of the testers' world go forest->portal->portal.
PPS: Thanks to benzido / foddy for the name!
PPPS: Go make stuff!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:11:59 PM by Farbs » Logged
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

Wow. My first thought was "Minecraft meets Sleep is Death". Shocked Great idea anyways, I'm trying it out now. This could result in some epic scale worlds.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:24:34 PM by davioware » Logged

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »

Love it! I'm not going to say what I contributed, but I must say I love that duck.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:31:32 PM by kavs » Logged

joesiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »

I LOVE it!

What a great idea, I wish I had thought of it Smiley  A visual wiki!

I only with it was easier to remove links, and there was more interaction besides click through.  Things with logic, not sure how you'd do it though.  Smiley

But congrats, I can't wait to see what the "world" does with the PlayPen!
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »

Cheers  Grin

I thought about adding logic, since you can use links to "Special" wiki pages to run code (eg the Random Page special page can teleport you anywhere). I decided to keep it all light and simple for now though so as not to disuade anyone from contributing. There's still a bit of interactivity you can add simply by branching.

What do you mean by "remove links"?

Oh, and feel free to create a user account (which is free of course) if you'd like people to know what work is yours.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 03:21:10 AM »

Holy shit, is this ever sweet.
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 03:23:28 AM »

This is pretty damn awesome - just tried to make the "Venture to mountains" page, but the main page still links to an edit page. Is there some kind of authorization the page has to go through before showing up?

Awesome project Smiley Can't wait to see what stuff people make.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »

Awesome work, Farbs. Really easy to jump in and start making stuff. Looking forward to seeing how the community expands it. Beer!

AndroidScholar1, I believe you need to press "refresh page" (under "Draw Here") on the page linking to the new page before it removes the edit tag.

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 03:56:43 AM »

This is a great idea, and it was smart to limit it the way you did.

I made Planet Ice Cream Grin
http://playpen.farbs.org/index.php?title=Fly_to_Planet_Ice_Cream

AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:18:55 AM »

Oh right, cheers Noyb Smiley

Whoever drew the naked guy in my cabin... I lol'd.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 04:38:48 AM »

Awesome idea!
It would be cool to have invite-only servers (or some other mechanism) in the final thing so you would end up with a mix of mad random stuff and more coherent worlds.

Anyway, I have a complaint! (related to "refresh page")

I clicked on the castle window and spent ages drawing something pretty rubbish. I saved it, got the same problem as AndroidScholar1, cleared the cache, and someone else's thing-in-the-window was there instead!

Also, I guess the painting interface needs some more work. On my machine, if you're over a grey area you can't see the cursor. Maybe a white 1-pixel box around the current drawing pixel would be good? Oh, and a fill tool! Smiley

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »

Edit collisions are definitely a problem. What you can do is use the copy function to move the new version of the page somewhere else, then use the history in the original page to roll it back to your tromped-on edit. Or you can incorporate someone else's edits as well.

The thing to remember really though is not to spend a long time editing anything with a lot of traffic (ie near the main page). I'll probably redirect the main page somewhere else in a day or two so activity in this area should slow down.

Private areas might be nice, but for now just find somewhere several pages deep to work from and the masses shouldn't bother you. Oh or you could create a new page indepentent of the network. I haven't documented how to do that, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 05:53:16 AM »

Whoa - that first page got full fast! I moved the landing page one click away up in the clouds to see if that calms things down.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »

I say just leave it on that other page with the castle. It's inevitable that the front pages will get full, but that's not a big disaster. During this launch period, it's important that there are things to see on the front page.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to revert someone's edits. When I hit any 'undo' link in the history, it just loads the editor for the current revision of the page.

Congrats on launching, BTW.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:34:26 AM by Bennett » Logged
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »

I've been having too much fun with this.

Indievelopper
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:23 AM »

Farbs, i have one request that shouldn't be that hard to implement(javascript).

A backward page! Like "undo" or "back" allocated for that.

you'll say "Why? You can redirect to the other link, it's the same".

Well no, because for example in the castle i made it so you can take the torch(it basically go from Castle_Room_1 to Castle_Room_1_Torch). But you can not inspect other elements, i would need to edit every single page, copy, rename...etc, or the player should have to go back(browser).

So please, just put it so when you enter "back" for example in the page, it makes you go back! You would need to keep a little log, like 10 pages though.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 08:02:43 AM »

It seems like the reversion process is busted. Given that the trolls are now there in force, it might be nice to get that working.  Smiley
Indievelopper
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »

hopefully nobody will post the link on 4chan  Evil .

Two other ideas Farbs :

- Auto redirection : no need to explain this one i guess, it would just be awesome to make animations. I can't even imagine how great playpen would be with that  Kiss

- Javascript loading : Instead of completely switching page, you could allow javascript loading, which make the whole thing a lot faster to switch between page.
Well, this is not as important as auto redirection, but it would make it work better!(the auto redirection).
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

This is an amazing idea. I'm surprised at the amount of storytelling team-work going on, I would expect more trolling.

I can't help but think there's alot more potential to this kind of storytelling than is being exploited here. I have an idea forming, gotta keep thinking...

One thing you should do is make it so whoever first creates a page can choose whether anyone can edit it or only they can edit it. This would open up more possibilities for true collaboration without the inevitable problems with trolling/"griefing" and editing wars.

Shiny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38:36 AM »

This is really great.
I'm having lots of fun exploring, and even drew a few new pages. Beer!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic