Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:01:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFreedom Bridge, a notgame for Korea (online play, open source)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Freedom Bridge, a notgame for Korea (online play, open source)  (Read 7592 times)
Jordan
Level 1

One time known as Flaming Pear.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »

Freedom Bridge
[Some of you may have seen this on the FlashPunk website, but I thought I'd go ahead and post it here for those who don't follow ChevyRay.]

A very small creation about Freedom Bridge, in Korea. Takes about two minutes to play through. Not a game, so if you find things that aren't games pretentious, be forewarned Smiley.

Game's home page is here.

Play online here.

Get source (FlashPunk) here.

Please let me know if the game plays "choppily" for you, of you find any other bugs.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:18:31 PM »

I wonder if I'm going from the north to the south or the other way around.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:36:15 PM »

If found this to be very powerful.  I liked how you described the Freedom Bridge at the end; most players probably wouldn't have gotten your intended meaning of the game.  Before I knew what the game was about, I thought that it was about the Holocaust.  When I saw the end, I realized how universal the themes in this game are (as they could be applied to many different things).

At first, I was thinking that perhaps you should have made it so that the player goes either up or down, rather than from left to right.  However, perhaps you meant to leave this ambiguous?  Is this why the player goes from left to right?

Animator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »

As a game alone, it's the most futile thing I've ever played. It's basically (spoiler):

Go right, cross some barb wire, get shot and die.

But this is really a fusion of what you'd experience if you were crossing Freedom Bridge as a game, I'd say it's actually pretty educational for those who don't know about Freedom Bridge. I commend this, really. The message is shown pretty well, and it's not bad, especially the hook at the end where (spoiler): You get shot while crossing the bridge, just when you think you're close to freedom.

Very well done.

EDIT: Also:

I'd like to think it's North to South, I can't imagine any other reason (besides helping out a family member, lost love, etc.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:55:58 PM by Animator » Logged

captain catton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:45:15 AM »

Hm, I've been to this bridge. Apparently it is common for North Korean defectors to escape through China though. I think South Korea has traditionally been quite accepting of them.

Nice little message-game
Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys.

At first, I was thinking that perhaps you should have made it so that the player goes either up or down, rather than from left to right.  However, perhaps you meant to leave this ambiguous?  Is this why the player goes from left to right?

Indeed, the orientation was chosen to be ambiguous.

@captain catton:
That's cool that you've been to the bridge. Did you ever live in Korea, or was the trip during a visit? It's true that North and South Korea both accept defectors, but defecting isn't always a simple process, and doesn't negate the fact that the countries have never signed a peace treaty and are separated by the most heavily fortified military border in the world--and that consequently there's no getting across Freedom Bridge, and no way for most Koreans to ever see their family members on the other side of it.

@Theta, @Animator:
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:51:18 PM by Jordan » Logged

captain catton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »

@captain catton:
That's cool that you've been to the bridge. Did you ever live in Korea, or was the trip during a visit? It's true that North and South Korea both accept defectors, but defecting isn't always a simple process, and doesn't negate the fact that the countries have never signed a peace treaty and are separated by the most heavily fortified military border in the world--and that consequently there's no getting across Freedom Bridge, and no way for most Koreans to ever see their family members on the other side of it.

Oh I know, I was just mentioning some information that I found to be interesting =]
Nah I haven't lived there, I went there during a trip to Seoul.
Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »

Oh I know, I was just mentioning some information that I found to be interesting =]
Nah I haven't lived there, I went there during a trip to Seoul.

Yeah, thanks for sharing... didn't mean to sound antagonistic Smiley

Jordan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:20 AM »

You guys may have seen this thread, but I just wanted to post it here, as the feedback I got on Freedom Bridge was one of my main inspirations for the project -- thank you all!

TIGForums: GameTrekking.com: computer games inspired by world travel

Here's the project video:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic