Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:25:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7288326 times)
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21180 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »

a bunch of wip commissions

in doing these more frequently i've learned that some people have really fucking stupid characters (ANIMAL PERSON WITH A PLAIN SINGLE COLOR SHIRT AND JEANS AND NOTHING REMOTELY UNIQUE) and it's a giant pain to make them look interesting
Ashkin
« Reply #21181 on: January 20, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »

-snip-
Cool stuff. Out of interest, how would you define an interesting character, and what characters exemplify this definition?
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21182 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »

guhhh i don't have any example of ~good~ characters off the top of my head really, but my main problem is with designs that are just lacking in any sort of personality i guess??

simple designs are fine. simple designs are (in my opinion) better, for the most part.  you're communicating as much as possible about the character through colors and shapes and the way that character moves rather than through the 78 patches she has on her vintage hooded denim vest

though, simple designs are also really hard to mess up. you have to know HOW to use the simplicity well, and some people just can't do that whether its through a lack of knowledge on how to do so or
just
the fact that they designed a furry character with an average body and a tshirt/hoodie and jeans

i'm probably repeating myself at this point but its 1am and i'm still awake for some reason
you could take those traits, only those traits, and have a good design
but its how you use them that matters
you have to make the character eye catching - give them an interesting silhouette, give their simple casual clothes a unique twist or eye popping colors or SOMETHING to give them some sort of uh... personality
i guess

theres a difference between "a dog anthro wearing a tshirt and jeans" (the second one on there)
and "a chubby androgynous lion with the top of its mane died pink/maroon and warm colored clothing" (the fifth one)

when you get right down to it, that second design is a chubby lion furry, that's not entirely unique, but the amount of personality that you can give a character through a few simple details opens up a world of possibilities

i have no clue if that made sense but there u go
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21183 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »

(it is a boy)
YellowLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21184 on: January 21, 2013, 03:49:07 AM »

@BleakProspects, that barrel is damn good for someone who's just starting  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley The base doesn't look round enough, though

@OldSoulCyborg: your character looks like he could use some sleep  Tongue He also looks like a scaredy cat, not the adventurous type (a la Threepwood)

@Stanley, your work is pretty great

And just remember to like what you're doing, and not feel bad about your clients and their really fucking stupid characters  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:58:15 AM by YellowLime » Logged
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #21185 on: January 21, 2013, 07:02:48 AM »

in doing these more frequently i've learned that some people have really fucking stupid characters (ANIMAL PERSON WITH A PLAIN SINGLE COLOR SHIRT AND JEANS AND NOTHING REMOTELY UNIQUE) and it's a giant pain to make them look interesting
Now I know your clients are hardcore furries; the trap time on the far right makes it plainly clear.

Also, I find it helps to imagine said characters as boring old human beings to guage their interestingness... in which case fox in a shirt guy completely fails. Sad
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21186 on: January 21, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »

Why do furries always have to do ish like "mane dyed maroon and pink"?

Either way, what in the actual fuck is the green one in the middle?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21187 on: January 21, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »

monster girl from a fighting game

ClayB
« Reply #21188 on: January 21, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »

old unused character portrait

-was going for a painting-like quality
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21189 on: January 21, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »

old unused character portrait

-was going for a painting-like quality

Successfully, I think. It's nice.

Maybe make the hats taller, like a top hat. As for the movement, maybe intermediate frames, so that when moving a hat from bottom to top there's 3 frames in between instead of one.

FWIW, I thought they were hats straight away, and the movement was clear too. Love the jazz hands at the end Smiley

Thanks for the tips! I tried adding some more intermediate frames but it looked a little clumsy. Part of the problem is that the nature of his 'tease' means that he shouldn't actually expose himself, so one hat has to cover his tackle at all times. I've promoted the hats to toppers, though, so hopefully this makes it a bit clearer.

Slow
Level 1

chirp

View Profile
« Reply #21190 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »

Now I know your clients are hardcore furries; the trap time on the far right makes it plainly clear.

Also, I find it helps to imagine said characters as boring old human beings to guage their interestingness... in which case fox in a shirt guy completely fails. Sad
Is it just me or does the lion not look anything like a girl? It looks 100% male.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21191 on: January 21, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »

If he's not intended to reveal himself at all, make one frame where both hats are down there, but they're both being used to cover himself up.
Hm, lemme see if I can edit it.

Here's the frame I added after the one where his hat is off his head

Seemed to work better to me, but I may have made his groin too high
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:10:33 PM by DustyDrake » Logged

rdein
« Reply #21192 on: January 21, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »

can i have a commission too
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21193 on: January 21, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

but why not
it probably has the most harmonious palette out of the bunch

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21194 on: January 21, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »

If he's not intended to reveal himself at all, make one frame where both hats are down there, but they're both being used to cover himself up.
Hm, lemme see if I can edit it.

Here's the frame I added after the one where his hat is off his head

Seemed to work better to me, but I may have made his groin too high

Oh thanks so much for that! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm on a friend's computer at the moment but I'll put that frame into the animation as soon as I'm home. I think it's just what's needed.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21195 on: January 21, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »

but why not
it probably has the most harmonious palette out of the bunch
I don't mean specifically maroon and pink. I mean dyed neon hair, stripped clothing, and other generic Deviant Art middle school techno mortal kombat color/outfits.

Most of the time its the absolute worst combination of anything that anyone could have put on... anything.

Ashkin
« Reply #21196 on: January 21, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »

I mean dyed neon hair, stripped clothing, and other generic Deviant Art middle school techno mortal kombat color/outfits.
I guess they want to stand out? You're already creating a fictional creature that is unbound by the laws of nature, might as well be creative.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21197 on: January 21, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »

I mean dyed neon hair, stripped clothing, and other generic Deviant Art middle school techno mortal kombat color/outfits.
I guess they want to stand out? You're already creating a fictional creature that is unbound by the laws of nature, might as well be creative.
And what better way to do that than with either supremely generic design (tshirt/jeans) or by melting the character with the same neon colors as everyone else.

Its pretty much the same thing as those people who draw Sonic the Hedgehog art of themselves. Go to Google and type in your name + the Hedgehog at the end. You'll see what I mean.

Ashkin
« Reply #21198 on: January 21, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »

And what better way to do that than with either supremely generic design (tshirt/jeans) or by melting the character with the same neon colors as everyone else.

Its pretty much the same thing as those people who draw Sonic the Hedgehog art of themselves. Go to Google and type in your name + the Hedgehog at the end. You'll see what I mean.
I didn't say they had the right idea on how to stand out, I'm just taking a guess on the mentality behind it.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21199 on: January 21, 2013, 03:41:03 PM »

I didn't say they had the right idea on how to stand out, I'm just taking a guess on the mentality behind it.

Bah who knows. I'm not lookin' for answers in this life. Just producing the questions.

Pages: 1 ... 1058 1059 [1060] 1061 1062 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic