Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:33:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334074 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: February 09, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »

just finished these today, secrets

whoopwhoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 10, 2015, 06:03:51 AM »

@whoopwhoop, unfortunately I dont know what could be causing that. I hope someone can give you a solution though. If it helps at all, change the game's difficulty to easy mode in the options screen (and you have to start a new game for that to change of course) and it saves after every stage, and enemies/bosses have less health (and bosses dont change their attacks at half-health) but it might help just with not having to go through the starship stage over and over again when it crashes for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
[/quote]

Is there no way for you to debug parts of the game that cause crashes?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1022 on: February 10, 2015, 06:11:50 AM »

The problem is I don't even know what to look for, since it's never crashed for me in those places, so I'm not even sure why it crashes in the first place for you. Can you tell me any more information about it? Does anything happen when it crashes? Are there any odd repeating noises? any error messages? visual abnormalities?

whoopwhoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

I've tried replaying the fossil boss's (the one that chases you) level and I've found that the game will always crash if I'm too near the boss as it breaks out of the rocks (if I run to the right of the screen it never crashes). It doesn't seem to be that colliding with that boss causes the crash because even if I'm quite far away from it as it breaks out but not far enough right the game will still crash.

For the dragon boss the game will always crash at some random point into the fight and sometimes when I die, too. The power-ups I'm using don't seem to be a factor because the game crashes with different combinations and even with no items. I don't think it's input that crashes the game because on the fossil boss, even if I didn't press anything after falling down the pit, the game would still crash.

I saw that someone else in this thread was having problems with the game crashing on the fossil boss, so I don't think  it's  my setup that's causing the issues. I'm running Windows 8 on an Intel Pentium with integrated graphics (I've tried running the game in compatibility modes for old Windows versions but the game still crashes).

Regardless of whether you can fix the issue it's a great game that you've made and best of luck with it in the future.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:22:25 PM by whoopwhoop » Logged
BMF54123
Level 0

Moogle+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: February 10, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »

Still playing through the demo, but here are the bugs I've noticed so far:

- Another place where pushing left will cause Jack to vibrate in place, in Beige Footsteps. I haven't noticed any others yet.

- Equipping the gas and bullet souls, firing off a few rounds, and then dropping the gas soul causes the gas clouds to not fully dissipate. These are stuck onscreen until an enemy runs into them (I think, that's what it looked like anyway).

- If you continue from here in Linear A, the blue enemy on the right will roll through the wall and off the screen.

- Catching a hat and then using a teleporter in Ascension causes the hat to go behind Jack's head.

- Saving at the shop and then continuing causes the shop music not to play. It's actually been like this for the past few demos, I just forgot to report it. Embarrassed

- Equipping certain soul combinations (ex: shield + [any], bullet + laser) will cause small bullets to pass through Jack.

- The large energy ball-firing things in the Maridian Reactor fight should either appear more often or do more damage, as the fight is currently kind of loooooong. (I know you said you're still working on this one, though.)

- The speed + boomerang ninja stars can pass through enemies if you're positioned just right. (Is this because the hitbox is traveling so fast, it passes right over the enemy between frames?)

- Was "Ancient's Playground" supposed to have been renamed "Linear A"?

Also, re: the game crashing during some boss fights, try disabling audio hardware acceleration (I don't know if this is even an option in Windows 8 anymore). I used to encounter crashes in Cave Story (same developer as the pxtone music system JtR uses) if I didn't do this, and it seems it was somehow related to too many audio streams playing at once. That's the only thing I can really think of.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:15:56 PM by BMF54123 » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: February 10, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »

-Ah, thank you for pointing out that block there! Fixing that immediately.
-ahh that gas thing is weird! I haven't run into that before, I'll figure out a fix for that.
-I can fix that blue enemy there, they give me problems sometimes with just moving through walls when they absolutely shouldnt be able to. Gamemaker's odd sometimes when it comes to colliding with solid objects and variable speeds.
-right, all of those bugs where the hat appears behind Jack's head, I've recently fixed all (I hope) of those thankfully
-shop music stopping, I have an idea I can try for that! I meant to fix it, but it slipped my mind.
-ahh- with the bullets passing through Jack- that's actually a huge mistake I made when releasing that current demo. apparently with the shield equipped, ALL red/blue bullets pass through Jack. obviously I fixed this immediately afterward, but in the demo it's still like that.
-about the Maridian Reactor, just the other night I did exactly that. they appear faster now and do double the amount of damage the used to do, each hit does 20% damage so it only takes 5 hits.
-ninja stars need slightly wider hitbox, gotcha
-Yep! the name change of that stage is definitely intentional! fits better, to me.

And that sounds like a good fix! Everyone who's been having trouble with the crashing.
from whoopwhoop's description I thought it was something to do with the rock objects, but you're saying it might be because of the overlaying sounds? If that's the case, I can fix it so that the rock breaking noise only plays once.

BMF54123
Level 0

Moogle+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:39 AM »

-ahh that gas thing is weird! I haven't run into that before, I'll figure out a fix for that.
If it helps, it only reliably happens if you switch gas with shield after firing some shots. I tried switching gas with other souls and it didn't seem to trigger the bug. Undecided

-ahh- with the bullets passing through Jack- that's actually a huge mistake I made when releasing that current demo. apparently with the shield equipped, ALL red/blue bullets pass through Jack. obviously I fixed this immediately afterward, but in the demo it's still like that.
Ah, okay. The same thing happened with bullet + laser, though, is it the same bug?

-Yep! the name change of that stage is definitely intentional! fits better, to me.
Gotcha. I guess "Linear A" just sounded like a placeholder name at first or something. Tongue

And that sounds like a good fix! Everyone who's been having trouble with the crashing.
from whoopwhoop's description I thought it was something to do with the rock objects, but you're saying it might be because of the overlaying sounds? If that's the case, I can fix it so that the rock breaking noise only plays once.
I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct solution, but it can't hurt to try. The only thing I've noticed at the beginning of the Nadir Predvest battle on my computers is a short pause, though I suppose that's because the game is loading things.

Anyway, I found two more bugs after getting Jack's third ability back:

- In this part of Cleansing Affusion, you can actually jump up and to the left and walk on top of the level. If you keep going left, you end up outside the level boundaries!

- I got stuck behind the trees in this part of Sharpened Sticks. I jumped on top of the log to the left, jumped to the right, and then I couldn't get out.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:33:03 AM by BMF54123 » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1027 on: February 11, 2015, 02:54:50 AM »

-that's alright, I think I found a pretty simple fix by making all gas particles delete if you get rid of the gas ability.
-ahh that makes sense too. It was a failed fix for something involving laser+shield and bullets, but thankfully I think I got it all fixed now.
Also thanks for those extra reports, I'll fix those areas as well! These are a huge help!

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 11, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »

I've tried replaying the fossil boss's (the one that chases you) level and I've found that the game will always crash if I'm too near the boss as it breaks out of the rocks (if I run to the right of the screen it never crashes). It doesn't seem to be that colliding with that boss causes the crash because even if I'm quite far away from it as it breaks out but not far enough right the game will still crash.

For the dragon boss the game will always crash at some random point into the fight and sometimes when I die, too. The power-ups I'm using don't seem to be a factor because the game crashes with different combinations and even with no items. I don't think it's input that crashes the game because on the fossil boss, even if I didn't press anything after falling down the pit, the game would still crash.

I saw that someone else in this thread was having problems with the game crashing on the fossil boss, so I don't think  it's  my setup that's causing the issues. I'm running Windows 8 on an Intel Pentium with integrated graphics (I've tried running the game in compatibility modes for old Windows versions but the game still crashes).

Regardless of whether you can fix the issue it's a great game that you've made and best of luck with it in the future.

Yeah, I had the exact same problem. I got around it by retrying many, many times Smiley, as it seemed to be kinda random.
clawchrono
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 13, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »

So I'm new here but thats not important as to why i am here (big fan of the game btw), so i am having a problem with the stage "long live the queen" when playing the mini boss at the end(?) of the stage the queen just flies off screen after beating all her minions and never comes back. I'm not sure if this is a glitch in the game or in just the version i that i downloaded but whenever you have the time to check this out it would be much appreciated.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1030 on: February 13, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »

Oh goodness. That's not good at all, but thankfully I know of a fix to make sure that doesnt happen. I'll be sure to include the fixed version in the next update to the demo. Sorry for the inconvenience! Does this happen every time?

clawchrono
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 13, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »

yeah it happens every time i get to that part of the battle, its like she has somewhere better to be than in the fight.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1032 on: February 14, 2015, 05:15:52 AM »

hah, as funny as that would be, I got to make it so the game doesnt soft-lock at least

clawchrono
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 14, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »

you could probably make it so that she gives up on fighting jack after he has beaten her and she just walks/flies off screen.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 16, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »

Love cute, chibi, art style of the game. Also good work with new demo.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: February 25, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »

I tested new demo and its much much better than the old one.. Kudos for making some level much bigger than before and adding new content like  mark target etc.. love it....... Personally I dont like super tiny or super large levels.. So I like the balance u made for levels size... they feel right... After replaying Kirby super star.... U game feels superior... I always wantend much harder kirby game with Kirby 64 like a power Mix & Mash..

There two thing that I want little bit criticize.. This game would be much harder if there wouldn't be less crow
fright Heal up.. Sometimes its feels like there are too much heal... taking into account that you can fill up u heal buy grinding loots.. which I like very much... Second is that Slash + smoke combo feel really overpower when u fight with some bosses.. You can kill it easily with hammering attack button..

Keep u  hard work! This game is shaping amazingly..
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1036 on: February 25, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »

@darkhog thank you very much!

@beetleking22 Thank you too! I'm glad you liked the new demo better and everything, and thank you for the compliments. I understand what you mean about too many health pickups, and I'll take some of them out. I'll see what I can do about the slash+smoke combo not so overpowered against bosses.

I will keep working hard!

OldNESJunkie
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 08, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »

This game is great & keeps getting better and better with every release.  Are you using GameMaker 8.1 or Studio?  Reason I ask is because with GM8.1 there is a bug with Windows 8/8.1 where more than one sound playing at a time causes the engine to crash.  It has something to do with DirectSound and Microsoft never fixed it according to YoYo.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1038 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »

Thank you very much for the compliments! I actually use Gamemaker 8.0 Pro, I never upgraded.
(sit tight, going to post some small concept arts and things in this thread in a while)

edit: here we go

and then here's the initial sprite for the new thing (without company on her back)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:08:12 PM by Rakugaki-Otoko » Logged

ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 09, 2015, 12:25:15 AM »

Oh wow! Eclipsus rage-mode looks fantastic Kiss. And I really like the concept of "Duplicate Jacker". I don't know what it is, but it looks cool. Awesome work Gentleman
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic