Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:56:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334065 times)
Conker534
« Reply #860 on: July 24, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »

I want to collect them all!
Retroy
« Reply #861 on: July 24, 2014, 09:37:06 PM »

On that note I would kill for some form of monster-collecting game with your designs.

Really pumped to see the partners in motion!
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 27, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »

I played through world 1 and most of world 2 in the most recent demo and jotted down some notes while I was at it. Hope these help Wink

-I encountered an error while jumping and trying to look up when the view was already all the way at the top of the screen. It happened in level 2 I believe, but I couldn't reproduce it. I forgot to write it down but I believe it was referring to a camera y control object/variable.
-The boomerang could do with a throwing animation, or at least not coming out so close to Jack's body.
-If Z doesn't do anything on the map, make it function like X.
-Make health powerups generally aim toward you when you're close (so they don't get stuck in the ground for too long).
-Level named 'lets run!' without capitalization and improper grammar -- intentional? Why not 'Let's Run!'?
-Watching shops float on the map, they tend to 'jitter' due to their sinusoidal(?) movement. Maybe tweak the numbers.
-Maybe use dynamic cameras in parts? In particular, jumping over that area with the cactus pit in world 1 (where you don't know it's a cactus pit without falling in). Other areas could benefit from this... like most downward platforming areas.
-Rockets could probably do with noticing you just a *bit* closer, like 8 pixels.
-The finish to a level probably shouldn't look like other in-level room transitions. At least make it a different color to signify that it's the end.
-When the view zooms in on Jack's map icon after you confirm your level, the aspect ratio gets a little out of whack right at the end. Consider altering the zoom-in to maintain this ratio.
-The first scarecrow in 2-2 is improperly positioned.
-I felt like the jumping-slime enemies were perhaps used too much... consider swapping with other enemies that provide similar challenge (or not enemies at all, since they function kind of like spikes).
-The spinning rainbow happy orbs were quite common too. I'd recommend different motion patterns for these at the least to vary the experience.
-The first time spikes appear (at least, the first time I saw them), they appear in one tiny patch. Only about 50% sure they were spikes, I walked right into them. The spike patch righhht after that is how I'd like spikes to be seen first (at a lower elevation, more than one tile at once). That way the player can tell they're spikes right away, just by their 'avoid me' positioning.
-Just in general, there are a lot of no-risk back-and-forth platforming segments that get you from one place to another. I don't mind these, but even just a small addition to these parts could go a long way (it doesn't even have to be gameplay-related, i.e. visual detail)
In moving screen areas, the camera snaps unnaturally to the player when he dies. Make it smoothly slide to him if anything. More camera snapping issues in the Nadir Prequist(?) fight could be remedied with a slow slide as well.
I had gun+shield power and Brave Cannon couldn't even hurt me since all his attacks are projectiles. For enemies like this, consider adding some non-projectile attack (and maybe having some rudimentary AI that checks if Jack has a shield and then uses the attack more frequently (but not so much as to negate the benefits of having a shield in the first place)).
-Spamming dodge midair lets you fall realllly slow, basically trivializing tough platforming. Either set a minimum time between consecutive dodges or make dodges after the first maintain your vertical speed when exiting them.
-Some combo powerups are just way better than others. I'm not expecting them to be perfectly balanced, but consider buffing up the terrible ones.

Don't let all these complaints belie my impressions, this game is an absolute joy to play. I'll be playing further in the demo soon, and will post any more things I notice then.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »

Thanks Conker! And Retroy, that's an appreciated compliment! Maybe someday if someone asks.

As for your report, Glyph, first of all thank you very much for the extended report.

-The camera has been giving a lot of people this error when looking up while jumping in certain situations for some reason, I'm figuring out what's causing it.
-I could make a boomerang throwing animation, the reason it comes out so close to jack's body is so that you can't stand next to a wall and throw the boomerang through it, basically.
-sure, I could make Z do the same thing on the map.
-ah, that level name mistake was just a simple oversight, fixed.
-ah, the shops move oddly due to the way I programmed that, yeah. The up and down movement is an animation, and the left and right is literal movement of the object. I didn't realize it didn't look the best, so I'll fix that to look smoother.
-Hmm, dynamic cameras are something I didn't consider. I could try this too.
-gotcha, easy fix with the rockets.
-Someone else suggested to make the end of stage icon looking different, too. I'll figure out some way to make it look different (any suggestions would be appreciated)
-the weird thing about the map zoom in is that I put the same x and y zoom, and it just seems to do that. I'll do some tweaking to try and make it even out, though.
-fixed the scarecrow position.
-I can do that with the slime enemies, since I recently made a few more very easy 'junk' enemies for the beginning of the game, I can replace them with that.
-same with the happy blue sphere enemies, I can make them do some different patterns.
-Oh I see about the spikes! I'll fix that right away.
-Sure, I could add some more little visual things to spice those segments up (are there any specific places you're talking about here? Just so I can make sure I know what you're talking about)
-just fixed the camera snapping in the auto-scrolling/boss parts
-That's another thing I hadn't considered, with the projectile-only boss being negated by shield- I'll add some physical attacks that it might use.
-Oh! I hadn't thought of preserving the momentum after dodging in midair! I'll do that.
-Sure, I can do that too. Do you have any opinions on which combo abilities should get beefed a bit?

Thanks again for the extended bug report. the current build (not the one available for download) has a ton of things fixed and I think the beginning of the game in particular has been made a lot better thanks to reports and suggestions from everyone.

Also, have a small screenshot of the partner system Ive been working on, the hard part of programming it is out of the way, and all of the sprites are finished now.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »

Alright, sorry for the slow reply. I was waiting until I made it to the end of the demo so I could get everything at once.

-I could make a boomerang throwing animation, the reason it comes out so close to jack's body is so that you can't stand next to a wall and throw the boomerang through it, basically.
You could always make the boomerangs be created where they are right now but then make them move extra distance immediately (with collision checks). But it's not a huge deal.
-Someone else suggested to make the end of stage icon looking different, too. I'll figure out some way to make it look different (any suggestions would be appreciated)
A simple solution would be to recolor the end-of-level arrow to blue or something so that the player is aware that it's the end. Other options might include making some sort of logo to symbolize it, maybe skull-themed.
-Sure, I could add some more little visual things to spice those segments up (are there any specific places you're talking about here? Just so I can make sure I know what you're talking about)
A lot of vertical ascension levels. Levels by name: Broken Seal, Power Surge, Ascension, and several segments of mountain levels and parts of First Tree. Most of my beef comes from the seal tower levels, and while visual detail could help, I feel like maybe some other means of vertical ascension like springs or elevators could come in handy too.
-Sure, I can do that too. Do you have any opinions on which combo abilities should get beefed a bit?
In general, any power that sacrifices some aspect of its original components is worse off for it. Also, it looks like the damage each power deals is unbalanced, making some powers automatic choices over others. I didn't have a chance to get a good look at every power, and I understand that powers like Laser are supposed to be much better than others, but when it comes to general powers they should probably be a little more balanced.
Strong Powers:
Gun+Smoke: Does ridiculous damage at the gun's normal range. I'm not sure if Gun+Bomb is more powerful, but if so then they're both good.
Cutter+Smoke: I took down Samuel in three waves with this power, by throwing a boomerang out and then spamming the down slash. This power does about as much damage as Gun+Smoke but probably deserves to since it's shorter range, but either way I'd like to see both of them made a little weaker (or others made more powerful)
Weak Powers:
Shield+Smoke: Okay, this one is basically unusable as it is. The standard attack has the longest cooldown ever and a tiny, tiny range. If the standard attack traveled forward slowly and had about half the cooldown (I think it waits for the smoke particles to decay before you can attack again, but I'd recommend doing it some other way) then it would be better, and if the up and down attacks sent the same large smoke formation traveling slowly upward or downward, it would be pretty usable.
Gun+Cutter: Two great powers on their own... equals one of the worst powers in the game. I like the bouncing projectiles, but Bomb+Smoke also bounces and does a ton more damage and has more range, etc. Maybe if the shots were made quite a bit bigger and did a lot more damage than they do right now on-hit, I could see it.
Speed+Shield: This power is bad because it conserves Jack's normal attack, which is not only weak but super short-range. I can't think of ideas to make it better, except maybe if Jack threw a shield projectile or something instead with this one.
Bomb+Shield: This is like Speed+Shield in that it's just one power plus another. I mean, it's alright, but you can always do better with a different combo power, making me never pick ones like this.

Anyway, it's okay for powers like Cutter+Shield to have shorter range and such, since the close-range attack becomes faster and stronger. But the powers that sacrifice something and don't get much stronger need some tweaking. Anyway, here's some other feedback.

-Samuel's hitbox is... weird. Some powers hit him fine, others pass right through his face. I'm talking about when he's on the ground here, I know that he can't be hurt until he does his charge attack. I'd recommend making it a big bigger so that certain powers aren't completely unusable on him.
-After loading a saved game from the shop, no music plays until you go back to the map. Not a big deal, but I figured I'd note it.
-On the note of saving, it feels weird that I could either pay 300P to save OR beat a certain save-point level and save for free, in exchange for time. I like making the player want to limit their saves, so maybe consider making levels that save once you beat them only do that once.
-Also regarding saves, I'd probably go ahead and give the player five lives if they're below five and save. Since they could just jump in a pit a couple times or reload the game and get back to five either way, there's no reason not to just speed the process up for them.
-The terminals in 'Starship Crash Site' could do with being a bit more visible. Especially when going in to blitzkrieg one of the face-turrets and seeing all your shots hit a previously-unnoticed terminal instead.
-Consider having 'trap parts' like in the first part of 'Wide Open Spaces' be one-way with the help of jump-through ground, so that players can't go down into them and clear them out, only to find that they were supposed to be going the other way all along.
-In 'Under Attack', you're given speed power right at the start, but the gimmick of the level doesn't play well with it at all (since you definitely want to go slow unless you're a madman). I'd either recommend making the girl follow you faster if you have the speed powerup or not placing speed enemies at the start of it.
-In 'Doggy Paddle', health from the scarecrows in the water part will often float out of grabbing range (below you, usually). I'd recommend guaranteeing the health items don't float too far in that level.
-In 'Ancient's Playground', the player gets a big scarecrow at the end of one room and then a normal scarecrow greets them in the next room. Since the normal scarecrow is pretty much useless, I'd probably remove it.
-Couldn't all the song files in the main directory of the game be moved to a folder? It would be better than having to sift through all those songs, and I'm sure the pxtone dll commands could just search for them in the other folder instead.

Overall it was really fun, and I can't wait until it's all finished. I hope my critiques will help you, and I also hope more people hear about this game Gentleman

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: August 05, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »

I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to this message!

You could always make the boomerangs be created where they are right now but then make them move extra distance immediately (with collision checks). But it's not a huge deal.
noted! I'll see what I can do about it

A simple solution would be to recolor the end-of-level arrow to blue or something so that the player is aware that it's the end. Other options might include making some sort of logo to symbolize it, maybe skull-themed.
mm, I would be against the blue colored idea, since it would go against the design choice of making all of the big text and icons red/yellow ("LET'S GO" text when you start a stage, etc) but I've been thinking of making a little icon for it, yeah, maybe a little "exit sign" stick figure, or something skull-themed like you said.

A lot of vertical ascension levels. Levels by name: Broken Seal, Power Surge, Ascension, and several segments of mountain levels and parts of First Tree. Most of my beef comes from the seal tower levels, and while visual detail could help, I feel like maybe some other means of vertical ascension like springs or elevators could come in handy too.
thanks for the tips! To be fair, I've been planning on littering the tower stages with statues, they're just not put in yet. I've been adding things to liven up possibly visual boring parts of stages recently*

In general, any power that sacrifices some aspect of its original components is worse off for it. Also, it looks like the damage each power deals is unbalanced, making some powers automatic choices over others. I didn't have a chance to get a good look at every power, and I understand that powers like Laser are supposed to be much better than others, but when it comes to general powers they should probably be a little more balanced.
Strong Powers:
Gun+Smoke: Does ridiculous damage at the gun's normal range. I'm not sure if Gun+Bomb is more powerful, but if so then they're both good.
Cutter+Smoke: I took down Samuel in three waves with this power, by throwing a boomerang out and then spamming the down slash. This power does about as much damage as Gun+Smoke but probably deserves to since it's shorter range, but either way I'd like to see both of them made a little weaker (or others made more powerful)
Weak Powers:
Shield+Smoke: Okay, this one is basically unusable as it is. The standard attack has the longest cooldown ever and a tiny, tiny range. If the standard attack traveled forward slowly and had about half the cooldown (I think it waits for the smoke particles to decay before you can attack again, but I'd recommend doing it some other way) then it would be better, and if the up and down attacks sent the same large smoke formation traveling slowly upward or downward, it would be pretty usable.
Gun+Cutter: Two great powers on their own... equals one of the worst powers in the game. I like the bouncing projectiles, but Bomb+Smoke also bounces and does a ton more damage and has more range, etc. Maybe if the shots were made quite a bit bigger and did a lot more damage than they do right now on-hit, I could see it.
Speed+Shield: This power is bad because it conserves Jack's normal attack, which is not only weak but super short-range. I can't think of ideas to make it better, except maybe if Jack threw a shield projectile or something instead with this one.
Bomb+Shield: This is like Speed+Shield in that it's just one power plus another. I mean, it's alright, but you can always do better with a different combo power, making me never pick ones like this.
I understand what you mean here, thank you for the details.
gun+smoke- hm, maybe I could decrease the range on the bullets if you have this combo or something. maybe even make the bullets travel in a weird arc or something.
cutter+smoke- sure I can make this a bit weaker.
Shield+smoke- I agree, this combo is terrible and I've been planning on changing it. I have a few ideas of things I can do for this, so I'll be testing some of them out.
Gun+Cutter- making the shots bigger and stronger sounds really appealing to me actually (I immediately thought of the fireball special attacks in Mario RPG where the fireballs are bigger than the characters)
speed+Shield - honestly, I still haven't been able to think of a decent power to go with this combo, it's technically still a placeholder ability for now. Some ideas are shield projectile like you said, or possibly whenever Jack dashes with this, he creates some sort of damaging aura in front of where he steps.
Bomb+Shield- the thing about this combo though, is that it makes you immune to your bombs' explosions (hence the kevlar Jacket and blast shield Jack wears). Is that an alright perk, or does it need more? Actually, maybe I should make it so that no explosions hurt Jack with this combo equipped...

-Samuel's hitbox is... weird. Some powers hit him fine, others pass right through his face. I'm talking about when he's on the ground here, I know that he can't be hurt until he does his charge attack. I'd recommend making it a big bigger so that certain powers aren't completely unusable on him.
oh, whoops! That was a mistake on my part, his hitbox is only half as tall as it should be, it seems! Thanks for pointing that out.

-After loading a saved game from the shop, no music plays until you go back to the map. Not a big deal, but I figured I'd note it.
noted, I'll see about what I can do to make that work.

-On the note of saving, it feels weird that I could either pay 300P to save OR beat a certain save-point level and save for free, in exchange for time. I like making the player want to limit their saves, so maybe consider making levels that save once you beat them only do that once.
wait, do the save stages save more than once? they're only supposed to save once you beat them the first time, and never again. They should only be able to save the game if they're green- once they're grey that shouldnt happen again. I'll have to look into this...

-Also regarding saves, I'd probably go ahead and give the player five lives if they're below five and save. Since they could just jump in a pit a couple times or reload the game and get back to five either way, there's no reason not to just speed the process up for them.
I'm not sure what to think about this one. It doesn't feel right to reward the player with more lives just for that reason.

-The terminals in 'Starship Crash Site' could do with being a bit more visible. Especially when going in to blitzkrieg one of the face-turrets and seeing all your shots hit a previously-unnoticed terminal instead.
noted, I've removed that badly-placed turret, but I'm also making the terminals more visible as well.

-Consider having 'trap parts' like in the first part of 'Wide Open Spaces' be one-way with the help of jump-through ground, so that players can't go down into them and clear them out, only to find that they were supposed to be going the other way all along.
Ah, I understand this, sure thing.

In 'Under Attack', you're given speed power right at the start, but the gimmick of the level doesn't play well with it at all (since you definitely want to go slow unless you're a madman). I'd either recommend making the girl follow you faster if you have the speed powerup or not placing speed enemies at the start of it.
Good idea, it's a stage I havent done much work on and one of the first I made, so it's hindsight that that happened. taking out the speedup enemies and replacing them with something more reasonable.

In 'Doggy Paddle', health from the scarecrows in the water part will often float out of grabbing range (below you, usually). I'd recommend guaranteeing the health items don't float too far in that level.
Oh! good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

In 'Ancient's Playground', the player gets a big scarecrow at the end of one room and then a normal scarecrow greets them in the next room. Since the normal scarecrow is pretty much useless, I'd probably remove it.
oops! another hindsight, removing it now.

Couldn't all the song files in the main directory of the game be moved to a folder? It would be better than having to sift through all those songs, and I'm sure the pxtone dll commands could just search for them in the other folder instead.
I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. Here's the thing about that, since these are just demos, I haven't been focusing on that, but I have already made a plan for the final release and made sure it would work. Gamemaker allows you to hold extra files inside of it, which it spits out when you open the game to play it, and then pulls back in once you close the game, that's what I'm going to do for the music in the final release (if people want the music, I'm also releasing the music seperately- for free as well, of course)
Since I use the pixeltone dll supersound gamemaker whatchamacallit, I'm not sure how to actually make it access files outside of the game folder (and putting the files in a folder in the folder doesn't seem to work either)
Also, putting the files into the game right now messes with certain things, such as needing to edit or replace a song file at a later time, and I've made mistakes with it before, and needed to reset everything because of it.
I'm sorry for that.

Overall it was really fun, and I can't wait until it's all finished. I hope my critiques will help you, and I also hope more people hear about this game
Thank you very much, Glyph! Your critiques do very much help me, due to their honesty and thuroughness, you've helped me realize a lot of things I've overlooked up until now. I hope more people hear about this game as well, thank you.

*as mentioned earlier, the background formations for breaking up large grassy areas or areas without a lot of varying colors:

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »

Bomb+Shield- the thing about this combo though, is that it makes you immune to your bombs' explosions (hence the kevlar Jacket and blast shield Jack wears). Is that an alright perk, or does it need more? Actually, maybe I should make it so that no explosions hurt Jack with this combo equipped...
Oh, I never even tried getting close to the bombs after finding out that they hurt me, so I never discovered this. It could be useful then, though I never tested how much damage bomb does as compared to other powers. Hopefully it's pretty strong.

wait, do the save stages save more than once? they're only supposed to save once you beat them the first time, and never again. They should only be able to save the game if they're green- once they're grey that shouldnt happen again. I'll have to look into this...
I replayed Let's Run to get powerups at one point, and I'm pretty sure the game saved again. Not 100% on this because it was a while ago, but either way if you get it working so that it only saves once then that'll all be good.

I'm not sure what to think about this one. It doesn't feel right to reward the player with more lives just for that reason.

True, and a heck of a lot of games just keep it the way it is. It doesn't really feel right to give lives back on a save, but I dunno - it also doesn't make any sense for a player to repeatedly jump into a pit after saving, something entirely encouraged by the lives mechanic. This isn't a problem with your game per se, but the mechanic in general. So do whatever you feel is right.

Couldn't all the song files in the main directory of the game be moved to a folder? It would be better than having to sift through all those songs, and I'm sure the pxtone dll commands could just search for them in the other folder instead.
I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. Here's the thing about that, since these are just demos, I haven't been focusing on that, but I have already made a plan for the final release and made sure it would work. Gamemaker allows you to hold extra files inside of it, which it spits out when you open the game to play it, and then pulls back in once you close the game, that's what I'm going to do for the music in the final release (if people want the music, I'm also releasing the music seperately- for free as well, of course)
Since I use the pixeltone dll supersound gamemaker whatchamacallit, I'm not sure how to actually make it access files outside of the game folder (and putting the files in a folder in the folder doesn't seem to work either)
Also, putting the files into the game right now messes with certain things, such as needing to edit or replace a song file at a later time, and I've made mistakes with it before, and needed to reset everything because of it.
I'm sorry for that.
I'd assume the pxtone dll has some command to the tune of px_load_song("songname.pttune",...). If so, did you try moving all the songs to a folder (e.g. Music) and changing the load command to px_load_song("Music/songname.pttune",...)? I'm just surprised that it wouldn't have functionality for that.

*as mentioned earlier, the background formations for breaking up large grassy areas or areas without a lot of varying colors:

Very nice! I can definitely see the Kirby influence Smiley

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 09, 2014, 03:39:26 AM »

Game looks like it could be really fun!

My main concern is the font, I feel like they look too generic (the fonts in game and in the trailer) do you plan on creating your own font? Typography can really improve the aesthetics in a game, I think your game would look nice with a custom styled -gothic themed pixel font like: http://www.bitmapworld.com/blogpics/fonts/heinzheinrich.png for example.

Quick tip for your artist: I used this site: http://www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/bitfontmaker2/ to create mine, it lets you make pixel perfect font and export in TTF.

Apart from that, the game looks great, I haven't tried your demo yet but I'll be back soon to give it a go. Smiley

Time is an expensive resource as a game artist, I'm sure you know! :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:44:58 AM by Derity » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: August 12, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »

^ I've used Fonstruct before to make my own pixel font, and it's pretty solid. Think I've heard of BitFontMaker2 as well, though I haven't used it. Thanks for the tip, Derity.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: August 16, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »

@Glyph I see!
-I've now added a "non-flammable" symbol to the front of the shield, so hopefully that will hint to the player well enough.
-ahh, you're right! I need to fix that certainly, thanks for testing it out again.
-I'll figure out what works best here then.
-fair enough! Hopefully next demo, I'll have that all worked out then.
-Thanks for the compliment! I've recently added a lighter color to the edge so that they're not entirely one color, and look more decorative

@Derity, thanks for the suggestion! I spent a while playing around with that site, and I really might use it sometime! I'm not really sure if an old english-looking font would really work with this game's mood (though there is a panel with font like that that I sprited myself at least.

In other news, new screenshots of some fixes:

new method of vertical transportation in the sealed tower stage. You stand on these platforms, and you're shot upward to a receiver platform above (I think it's pretty fun!) This screenshot is outdated, so it doesnt have the extra decorations I put in.

As suggested earlier by Glyph, Jack's fireballs are much bigger now! (It feels good to shoot them)

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »

King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: August 24, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »

There are two awesome parts to your screenshot. One, the artwork in the screenshot is very well made. And secondly, it really shows what Game Maker can do Smiley
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: August 25, 2014, 01:24:41 AM »

Aw thanks a lot! I appreciate that! And yes, Gamemaker is really capable if you know what you're doing in it.

Here's an update, the main body/tileset is essentially finished now. I need to start on the gun turrets and other things on top of it now.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: August 25, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Updated, the exterior is almost done now

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 25, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »

The Halberd airship looks great! If its name hasn't been sorted out yet, I suggest Aspidochelone or some other suitably archaic name.

Glad someone's still using GM8 besides me. I think the project I'm working on will be my last one in it though -- you can name code excerpts in Studio Tears of Joy
The room name in the screenshot's a little funky though, any backstory on that?

King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »

Aw thanks a lot! I appreciate that! And yes, Gamemaker is really capable if you know what you're doing in it.

Here's an update, the main body/tileset is essentially finished now. I need to start on the gun turrets and other things on top of it now.

Tell me about it, I became an RPG developer with Game Maker. It taught me everything I know about making games. Shame I moved away from it this year. Have you thought about finding investment to get this beauty on the consoles? I can see it selling quite well Smiley

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: August 25, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »

@Glyph, Thanks! Thankfully, I thought of a name today finally, but your name suggestion is pretty cool too!
Yeah, I've been sticking with GM8 and plan to use it indefinitely.
And what do you mean about the room name?

@King Tetiro, Nice to hear!
No, I dont plan on having this game ever be sold for any money. I take paypal donations, but no money for the game.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »

I was just confused by the stack of less-than signs. Must be an organizational thing, eh?

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: August 26, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »

Ohh, that! I forgot that might be odd to people to see. Since I have a bad memory, anything Im currently working on in my game, I'll add <<<<<<<<<<< after the object/sprite/room name so that I can spot it when I scroll down, there are 1000+ sprites/objects and probably more than 100 rooms, so sometimes I can lose track of what I still need to do some work on.

King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »

Ohh, that! I forgot that might be odd to people to see. Since I have a bad memory, anything Im currently working on in my game, I'll add <<<<<<<<<<< after the object/sprite/room name so that I can spot it when I scroll down, there are 1000+ sprites/objects and probably more than 100 rooms, so sometimes I can lose track of what I still need to do some work on.

And I guess you remove the <<<< stuff when you are finished?

And I have the same problem. So I use folders to organize my project. I over over 50 scripts, 100+ sprites and 200+ rooms to deal with. It can get messy over time.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic