Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:39:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Dungeonesque - Hero Vs. Dungeon [Playable v0.1]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Dungeonesque - Hero Vs. Dungeon [Playable v0.1]  (Read 13757 times)
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:35 AM »

Version 0.1 is here!

.love (all platforms, requires Love)
Windows
Mac

Quickstart Guide

ORIGINAL POST

So, my first Versus attempt was very rewarding, a bit unpolished and imbalanced, and while packaging up the Windows version and considering tweaking the rules I began looking at doing a second game, because I really wanted to practice some network code.

Hence, this game! It's a pretty obvious idea so apologies if someone is already working on something similar.

Player One is the hero of the piece, roaming a dangerous dungeon full of (familiar-looking to TIGSource Wink) monsters and whatnot.

Player Two is the mean-spirited soul of the dungeon itself. It doesn't like Player One very much.

Essentially, it's a versus game where one player plays a hacky-slashy roguelike, and the other player plays a kind of reverse Tower Defence management game, placing monsters and traps and saving up mana to power up a nefarious end-of-dungeon boss. The screens are from an active build of the game, with networking code in place. Hurrah!

TIGSourcers, help me out! Does this game sound interesting? What issues do you think it might have? And what mechanics would you include? I'm thinking:
  • The Hero's end of things is pretty standard - get to the end, kill the bad guys.
  • The DM has to use resources to plan bad guys. The question is how he gains this resource (I've called it Mana) back.
  • Current ideas - gain mana whenever the Hero takes damage/heals. Gain mana by placing loot or shops or shrines for the Hero to use. Gain mana for every tile the Hero uncovers.
  • I'd like the DM to be able to: place traps, change monster aggressiveness, alter the dungeon layout, send spooky messages to the player, possess monsters and control them directly.
  • I'd also like to include multi-hero co-op play.[/li
Some of these ideas might not be practical for the first builds.

Tell me what you'd like to see, TIGS, and if you like the idea. Smiley

[[Dandylike is a working title (D&D-like? No?) so if you have any other ideas, hit me. Smiley]]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:31:26 PM by FinalSin » Logged

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:02:10 AM »

What a fantastic idea! I guess you'll be needing some balancing to keep the game pace fast enough and make it fun for both players, but the concept is really great.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:06:20 AM »

Yes! Pace will be a huge problem.

What I think I will do is create the most obvious implementation, with very basic rules and no balancing, and unleash it here to get feedback.

Thanks! Smiley

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:16:35 AM »

Yes! Pace will be a huge problem.

What I think I will do is create the most obvious implementation, with very basic rules and no balancing, and unleash it here to get feedback.

Thanks! Smiley
This looks like it could be really interesting. Good luck!

Maybe you could make Mana respawn in a sine wave way? So you like move across a sine wave and take the amitube of the sine wave and add that to the mana every frame instead of adding a fixed amount. So you would tend to have lulls and peaks?

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »

TIGSourcers, help me out! Does this game sound interesting?

Heck yeah. I would totally play this.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

Mana generation:

I like the idea of the sine wave. That could be the 'default' mana; it would be enough for very basic units at its lull, and slightly better at its peak.

I like your ideas, as well; perhaps you gain mana whenever the Hero uses it (for spells)? Placing loot / shops that give you mana is a good idea, as well, as it promotes a careful balance of helping and hurting the Hero.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:50 AM »

Work still progressing. Tested it over hamachi last night.

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:53 AM »

This reminds me of a table game, "Descent". I think it'll be very fun. Keep up the good work!

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:01:42 AM »

Another possible idea for mana would be to have crystals or shrines that cost X mana to put down in the dungeon, and slowly give you mana back, so you can recoup your investment after a minute or so and then everything else is extra. Perhaps you can only have one shrine in the dungeon, and if the player destroys it they get a boost to their own abilities or something. So it's a risky proposition for the Dungeonmaster, but it could pay off if the Adventurer doesn't find it.

Another possibility would be to have every monster the adventurer kills return a percentage of the summoning cost to the dungeonmaster. Depending on how many monsters you want the dungeon master to be able to spawn throughout the game, this returned mana could be anywhere from 0 to 50% or more.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »

Another possible idea for mana would be to have crystals or shrines that cost X mana to put down in the dungeon, and slowly give you mana back, so you can recoup your investment after a minute or so and then everything else is extra. Perhaps you can only have one shrine in the dungeon, and if the player destroys it they get a boost to their own abilities or something. So it's a risky proposition for the Dungeonmaster, but it could pay off if the Adventurer doesn't find it.

I really, really love that idea. Thanks!

Another possibility would be to have every monster the adventurer kills return a percentage of the summoning cost to the dungeonmaster. Depending on how many monsters you want the dungeon master to be able to spawn throughout the game, this returned mana could be anywhere from 0 to 50% or more.

I'd considered this too; it'd kind of make it like Magic: The Gathering or Warhammer where you have a fixed budget and re-play after you lose units. Like a pop cap.

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

Treasure Chests idea (always talking about the DM point-of-view)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Placing treasure chests for the hero to get gives you mana. Chest could contain weapons, armor, insta hp-restorarion, potions etc...
But you can also spend mana, placing bomb-chest, mimics etc... or even spend mana to curse a chest you placed before! So you can think about chests being some kind of investment.

Some "curses" suggestions:
-Empty curse: That chest is EMPTY! Make the hero feel bad and go naked around the dungeon!
-Poison curse: Pretty obvious.
-Bomb curse: Boom.
-"Mana" curse: If the hero opens a chest containing this curse, the DM gets lots of mana.
-Mimic curse: Turn the chest into a mimic when the hero comes near.

And the hero can find some kind of "glasses" or something that allows him to tell when a chest is cursed (the glasses breaks on the process, obviously).

Another idea:
--------------------------------

At first, the DM only can spend mana on a few simple things: spawning low level monsters, poison curses, minor spells, trolling the hero etc...
But as the hero is being damaged you gain experience and can spend that exp on upgrading your Dark Lord's Arsenal of Destruction. This way you can choose either to upgrade your monsters, traps or researching new ones, and every match will be different :D

Hope you like my suggestions.Of course this game will need tons of feedback for balancing, so... beta time!

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:03:18 AM »

Okay, currently the netcode is only functioning through Hamachi, I've been told this is because of NAT negotiation (harumph). The two options are:

1. Get players to open ports (don't like this)
2. Use UDP Punching (no sodding clue how to do this)

Any TIGSourcers help with (2.)? Either way, Hamachi-able early-alpha available soon.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:10:20 AM »

Oh balls, I knew someone would do something similar.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17350.15

Sad

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »

Don't worry about it too much. Within any given group of creative people who hang out and exchange ideas there is bound to be some overlap. I've been wanting to make a game like this forever, yet never had the tech savvy to do it.

So keep at it, I wanna play!  Hand Any Key  Kiss Hand Joystick

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »

I'll definitely finish it. Smiley The other one looks amazing though. Also this has been amazing for me so far, I can't believe I wrote network code. Tongue Broken or not.

Thanks!

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 08:00:55 AM »

Also, I think Assemblee was the greatest thing in Indie games last year. Just went shopping for music, found a shedload of amazing stuff. Good grief you guys are brill.

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »

Nobody reads my suggestions, Concerned it's my english that bad? xD

Anyway, everyone (on windows at least) can get Hamachi, so let's test this out!  Hand Joystick

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »

Your english was great! And I did indeed read your comments. Smiley Chests won't be in this first version but they will be soon.

I've seen you commenting on loads of other games too, don't stop. Smiley I read everything posted here.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »

This is getting a bit of version (rather than feature) creep as I keep delaying a release by adding little things.

A release is coming though! I'm adding in skills code now. DM needs a mana regen thing. Needs huge balancing too. Tongue

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »

Honestly, an early release is coming soon. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic