Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:34:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Cowboy VS Ninja [Prototype 3]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cowboy VS Ninja [Prototype 3]  (Read 12845 times)
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »

It's high noon. The cowboy and ninja stand and face each other. The cowboy is armed with a revolver, the ninja with a sword. The cowboy lifts his(?) gun to aim at the ninja and the ninja responses with his shadow ninja magic. Now the cowboy's only hope is to work out which is real while the ninja must reach the cowboy.

So it's a bit of a Ninja Convention and Puji clone that uses asymmetrical gameplay. The ninja uses the keyboard to move and the cowboy uses the mouse to shoot. I don't really have owt to show anyone yet to be honest. Just a vague idea.

UPDATE 21/1/2011: I have a basic prototype working. It's more black squares VS blue square but it's got the basic idea working. Link here.

UPDATE 22/1/2011: Updated prototype. I've given the ninja some more tools to use against the cowboy. Now the ninja can dash with Z (to allow the ninja to close the gap at the cost of showing the cowboy who the ninja is) and the ninja can also push the purple blocks while the cowboy is now killed by them. I haven't thought up of an in-game justification for this yet however. Maybe the boxes are poisonus or ninja traps of some kind? Whatever, mechanic wise they should allow the ninja to put some pressure onto the cowboy and should make the clones more useful.

UPDATE 25/1/2011: Ok, I've got a new prototype up. Not much more added, just some very basic graphics which need to be redrawn at some point. Also, the boxes are now boulders that the ninja can push to squash the cowboy flat.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:42:05 PM by dontkickpenguins » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

The concept is certainly interesting, and could lead to interesting games of deception.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »

This is going to be mighty interesting! I look forward to seeing what kind of ideas and strategies grow out of this, and playing this would be fun.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »

I've made a prototype! It's more black squares against blue square right now, but it's the basic idea down. I've still got a lot to do however.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »

I just played the Prototype by my self (because I lack friends). The movement of The shadow clones is awsome, as is the clean implimentation.
[Edit]
Just suckered a friend to play against me. I played as the cowboy once and as the ninja once. Both times the Cowboy won. It is too easy for the cowboy to shoot any ninja/shadown clone that is moving close to him. Perhaps reload should take longer or there should be some other penalty for missed shots. Any way Good Game.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:20:51 PM by Wilson Saunders » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:51 PM »

I only played by myself, but I mirror the above sentiments.  If there were some movement controls for the ninja that allowed for some control over the shadows it might be a bit more balanced.

I look forward to playing the next version of the prototype!
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »

Updated prototype. I've given the ninja some more tools to use against the cowboy. Now the ninja can dash with Z (to allow the ninja to close the gap at the cost of showing the cowboy who the ninja is) and the ninja can also push the purple blocks while the cowboy is now killed by them. I haven't thought up of an in-game justification for this yet however. Maybe the boxes are poisonus or ninja traps of some kind? Whatever, mechanic wise they should allow the ninja to put some pressure onto the cowboy and should make the clones more useful.

I'll have to rope some mates into playing this at some point.

mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »

They dashing feels like a balanced addition though I think I'm always going to want to play the ninja.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »

Ok, I've got a new prototype up. Not much more added, just some very basic graphics which need to be redrawn at some point. Also, the boxes are now boulders that the ninja can push to squash the cowboy flat.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 06:46:03 AM »

Just a thought on the Puji game: invisible attacks and a "poison" attack (so they die seconds later..) would be neat.

So the dash is meant to be used right when the ninja's close for a quick rush? Interesting.

destiny is truth pre-op
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:34:48 PM »

Dashing works weird for me. For some reason, I move in the opposite direction to the button I'm pressing...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »

Dashing works weird for me. For some reason, I move in the opposite direction to the button I'm pressing...

Yeah, I have the same issue.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

Looks cool, need to play it vs a friend to give real feedback Smiley

destiny is truth pre-op
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic