Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:09:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe first monthly BLITZKAST (finished!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The first monthly BLITZKAST (finished!)  (Read 4791 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:36:48 PM »

Hear hear, people of Tigsource!
Developeurs and developettes!

http://www.thepoppenkast.com/view/Stampede/blitzkast-monthly/

The first monthly BLITZKAST is almost upon us.

Organized by the Poppenkast, the Blitzkast is a monthly game jam kinda thing happening on the second Sunday of every month.
That's April 10th this month.

The idea
Participants have the whole day Sunday to spend around 4 hours on a new game project/prototype. The time limit is there to make people keep their project scope in check, to have the right aim to get something started and finished that day. Its no big deal to go over 4 hours. Kind of a rule of thumb.
Participants are strongly encouraged to join up the Poppenkast IRC channel during the blitz to share how their things are doing. Its at server irc.slashnet.org, channel name #poppenkast

Why participate?
Its the perfect excuse to take a break from your usual projects and go nuts on something new and refreshing for just a short while. You just have four hours to lose...
This is not a competition. Or maybe it will be??? Depends how competitive people feel I guess! WERE EXPERIMENTING HERE The idea is to get people active and make those games they always wanted but "didn't have time for it". Its time to experiment and do weird stuff!

The optional theme for the blitz will be "TRUE STORIES FROM YOUR LIFE". Try to make a game with that theme in mind. Or you know, don't. Or subvert the theme in some weird original way, I dunno.
Its your life. You take the reigns. -Bruce Genitals

Once Sunday comes and you got something to show, post it in the topic made just for that in the poppenkast forum: http://www.thepoppenkast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2911.0

Though you can spend your hours any time next Sunday, you are strongly encouraged to start at around 18:00 UTC and join the irc channel. The idea is that if we have an official start time, people are more likely to start together and itll be more active, interesting and stimulating!
Once it starts anything goes, people can work on games together in spontaneous teams or individually. Just make something! Just take it easy mang, just make a game, cmon.

A buncha people from the poppenkast swore a blood oath to participate in these as much as possible. You are all cordially invited to do the same grisly thing!

So pick up your XNAs and Game Makers and Unities and Flashpunks and Multimediar Fusions and whatever the cool kids use these days and get ready to rOCkK AND RoLL  Toast Right
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:57:05 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

MaloEspada
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »

i'm interested, it sounds fun.
hopefully i will make something for this...
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »

Holy Poopenkast! A jam/compo/event/thing I might actually get to participate in! I'm excited.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

it'll be a good time

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:27 AM »

The Monster King, well known for his many games, will be joining this. He will.
im9today
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »

so this is tomorrow i guess
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »

Damn, I'm pretty sure this is at 6am for me...
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »

actually it's any time you want on sunday

PowRTocH
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »

Hopefully I can do this, I have a lot of work to do before then though. Droop
BoxedLunch
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

i've got an idea, but it'll probably end up turning out as only a shitty prototype.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »

The Monthly Blitzkast starts in 5 MINS

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:00:39 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

im9today
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »

it's happening. it's really happening.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »

Hide in the smoke, or you'll Die!

Gam also linked on the offical thread
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:17:36 PM by Droqen » Logged

offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »

this game sucks but the music is by selectbutton's diplo and he made it in like a half hour
im9today
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

BAT CASSLE
SCREENS:[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Join Beefmaster Bosser, Mona Lisa, and Fust as they attempt to topple the evil Yellow King in this thrilling Zeldalike adventure! But what is the agenda of the mysterious and powerful Babbt? Bat Castle is a classic tale of revenge and maybe... redemption...

buttons: arrow keys, x, z, escape, alt+enter to fullscreen
special thanks to pietepiet
took about seven hours

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1767364/Bat%20Castle.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?s6vmxt6nw2a4fdi

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE SHOP. SAVE OFTEN. USE MULTIPLE SLOTS
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:17:02 PM by im9today » Logged
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 01:51:39 AM »

I was asleep during almost the entire event Hand Shake LeftTiredHand Shake Right

Stupid timezones. Will try again next month.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »

I thiiiink the Blitzkast is now finished. Some people are probably still working on their things though.

Heres my entry:

Download

So! This is *obviously* an autobiographical game right. Its about that time I was a centipede eating dirt, four years ago

It is an attempt at combining a dungeon crawler game with Snake.
Move your centipede with the arrow keys.
Eat through soil to dig tunnels, gain life and grow longer. A longer centipede can eat harder (darker) soil, but is slower, more awkward to control, and there is more of you to hit for enemies.
You can move backwards by moving back towards your neck, which will make the whole body step backwards, but your tail cannot turn corners, so you can get completely stuck if you don't have enough room to turn and get to a dead end. I didn't put a restart level button whoops. Ill add one tonight and maybe new levels (right now there's just 4 simple levels, an intro and an end screen)

You can also damage enemies by walking into them (like in most roguelikes) Hold the movement key towards them to keep attacking, no need to hammer the button. You do not have a maximum life, you just accumulate more life every time you eat.

the N key skips to the next level if youre stuck or bored with the current one

Touch the treasure chest in every level to move to the next. There arn't many levels yet.

If I work on it again it'll be to make it more like my original idea which made the game more like an actual dungeon crawler. Treasure to find, equipment, doors and keys, more fun enemies, multi-screen levels, fog of war. possibilities are endless! I also thought of having the centipede's separate body sections all have separate armor or something, so when you get some gear you can use some body sections as a shield from projectiles with some careful walking. Maybe there would be ways to chop yourself up shorter, which would remove a big amount of health but make it easier to dodge. Would possibly happen by attacking your tail like you would enemies, and it would cut off you health by the same ratio as how much you shortened yourself

I spent just a little over 5 hours on it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:34:42 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic