Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:49:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323030 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3260 on: September 19, 2015, 03:27:03 AM »

Prinsessa is right about the extra enum, but also, using a get<Foo> returns a Foo&, and so u don't need to dynamic_cast on the caller side. It's all based on static polymorphism (if I remember the term properly).
And that, of course. Unfortunately I haven't managed to bind identical functionality to AngelScript, so you still have to do some sort of bulky cast<Emitter @>(get(type("Emitter")) in scripts ATM. Huh?

Egh, sounds a little messy.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3261 on: September 19, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »

A small snapshot of me working on Moonman:

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: September 19, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »

woah neat, mind telling me what you did to get that visualized? would maybe motivate me to put some work in  Wink

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3263 on: September 19, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »

sure, its a tool called Gource

zath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: September 20, 2015, 12:10:59 AM »

Your git commit animation looks like a neat enemy concept for the Rain World!

kcbanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: September 20, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »

That EC system sounds great. I implemented something similar but without the concepts of systems, the components received events directly. That because a bit unwieldy do the amount of even handlers and such, looks like I need to take a lesson from your book!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3266 on: September 20, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »

That EC system sounds great. I implemented something similar but without the concepts of systems, the components received events directly. That because a bit unwieldy do the amount of even handlers and such, looks like I need to take a lesson from your book!

There's practically a 1-to-1 correspondence between components and systems anyway, as the components are typically used to store properties or state realted to one aspect of the game. E.g., the SpriteSystem uses the Sprite component to track what frame an animation is in. I also have protected parts of a Component and friend them to Systems, just to make it clear that some data is for certain systems only. As for event handlers, I have an onEvent(EventType,void* data) in every single system. So I'm not sure separating the concepts of Component and System will clean things up that much.

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: September 20, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »

A small snapshot of me working on Moonman:

As much as I understand computers and programming, I've never understood what the hell these visualizations are supposed to mean. I've seen a lot of them too.
Are they based on files or something?
What the bawls.

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3268 on: September 20, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »

As much as I understand computers and programming, I've never understood what the hell these visualizations are supposed to mean. I've seen a lot of them too.
Are they based on files or something?
What the bawls.

They are operations on files in directories, as seen by the revision control system. So when I add a new file, it appears as a dot in one of those sprouts. So all the red items in the second image are files in the data/item directory.

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: September 20, 2015, 11:51:17 PM »

Ah ok.
Is that little green guy just an average of the locations that are being added?

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3270 on: September 20, 2015, 11:53:59 PM »

Ah ok.
Is that little green guy just an average of the locations that are being added?

Yeah more or less. When you have multiple people working on a project, you see one little person for each programmer.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: September 24, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »

None of the posts above helped me understand even in the slightest what that animation is supposed to be.

HALP

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 24, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »

Wow, thats insanely cool. I'm tempted to do it for my own project now... maybe one day haha.

Other than just being a super cool visualization, does it actually assist with any aspects of version control?

None of the posts above helped me understand even in the slightest what that animation is supposed to be.

HALP

I guess in basic terms, it's a visualization of each commit being made to the game in a time-lapse. So you're seeing the game literally grow in different areas as the commits of work are being made by the developer.

...That may be a terrible summary...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3273 on: September 24, 2015, 07:05:23 PM »

That's a good explanation oldblood. You have e.g., 1 second per day, or whatever the time scale is. When the dev edits a file the dev sprite goes over to it and zaps it. The lines show the directory structure.

Doesn't help with anything, but the full thing shows off some interesting events, like big refactors, or when i add a new resource type and start populating it, or that time when I removed boost from my version control Shocked, which sent the spring system careening wildly (as boost has 1000s of files). Don't ask me why I ever committed it to my repo .. but I've learnt the lesson since to keep most of my deps out of the repo.

It's all file-based though, so it's not a great visualisation. Imagine if we could run a tool to do this: check out the source for each day in development, start the game and auto-play it for a minute or so, take a screenshot or mini-gif, then repeat for the entire history. Now that'd be awesome.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3274 on: September 26, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »

Update: The world generator now knows about the sizes of things, which means that when it is placing something (a painting, a door, a chest, etc.) it can make sure that it doesn't overlap an existing object. Its a very useful functionality, and means, for instance, that I can "fill a room" with things, like paintings. More importantly, the generator can select a rectangular region and delete all the things that overlap it, in order to make room for an important object, like an door to a subregion.

Speak of doors, they are now more flexible, and can be any height. Which means you may see some of these little doors hidden in the game somewhere. Horizontal doors (trapdoors) are also now possible, and block fluid as you'd expect.

Forest Arc 1 is pretty much finished, and will be pushed out in an alpha update very soon. It's a few steps back in terms of "stuff", but is a necessary step to start designing how the items and resources will flow throughout the game. This has involved a lot of code but also spreadsheets, to figure out the strengths of items, resistances of enemies and blocks, and so on. Here is one of the small spreadsheets I was using to figure out the resistances of some of the simpler animals:

With the help of my friend Alex McDonald, today we brought a few of the new creatures to life, giving them walk cycles and simple behaviours:

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3275 on: September 27, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3276 on: September 27, 2015, 02:02:58 AM »

Scary! Shocked
AbsintheGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3277 on: September 27, 2015, 07:42:28 AM »

*pic*
So lifelike.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3278 on: September 27, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

spookier than SOMA

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 29, 2015, 04:31:53 AM »

Them doors for midgets are awesome! You gotta have some important gnomes disappear into them at some point!
"Come back here gnome!! Ahh, he went in the little door!"

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic