Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:08:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlue Saga (MMO)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Blue Saga (MMO)  (Read 13782 times)
skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:38:51 AM »

Hi!

Maybe I should start a dev log as well for my game "Blue Saga".
I usually use my twitter for small updates, but here I can post problems and solutions I encounter and post videos/screenshots of how the development is going.

About the game:
The game I'm making takes inspiration from the One Piece anime and the Pokémon-games.
The main concept is you will have boats that enables you to travel the seas and discover new islands. You will have different reputations with the different creature families, making your actions change your options in what quests are open to you. You will be able to create pirate crews with friends, having a pirate flag of your own. 

Creatures:
There will be plenty of creatures in this game, and like in pokémon they will have their unique set of abilities and stat modifiers. All creatures can wear their own equipment, both players and monsters. Monsters can go from being aggro to give you quests depending on your reputation.

Gameplay videos
Here are some videos I have recorded of older versions of the game, I will make a newer one soon.

So if you have any questions or feedback just write it here.

For more frequent updates you can follow me on twitter.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:34:03 PM by skullbox » Logged

DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »

Demo looks nice. Smiley Reminds me a little bit of FF but with a more cartoon look to it.

Any playable build yet?

Keep up the work!

Check out my DevLog? What if I told you there was cake? (Not yet, well, maybe never, but cake is always enticing.)
skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »

Demo looks nice. Smiley Reminds me a little bit of FF but with a more cartoon look to it.

Any playable build yet?

Keep up the work!

Thanks! My goal is to release a playable before 11/11/11. This is because of a certain game release that is going to interfere with my game development =)

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »

New gameplay video for v0.4 with some swenglish commentary =):

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »

Since I am working on the dungeon for the next version, it has gotten bothersome to walk all the way back to the shop all the time. So now I've made a working town portal! =D

DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

Nice addition. Looks like something slimey hit the tavern though. Any available build for Macs?

Check out my DevLog? What if I told you there was cake? (Not yet, well, maybe never, but cake is always enticing.)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »

Love the gui in the vid. Smiley

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

Nice addition. Looks like something slimey hit the tavern though. Any available build for Macs?

I am working on the battle screen now, I am struggling with the ability system, creature and equipment stats. So when I am done with the basics for those I will release a build for both Mac and PC. Is there anyone here who knows the best way to export a java-project from Eclipse (Mac) to different platforms?

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »

Love the gui in the vid. Smiley

Thanks! I get the feeling that it is a bit inconsistent when there is so much pixelart in the game and the GUI is all smooth-looking. But I guess it works for the first version, I got more important stuff to fix first =)

DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:16:12 PM »

I am working on the battle screen now, I am struggling with the ability system, creature and equipment stats. So when I am done with the basics for those I will release a build for both Mac and PC. Is there anyone here who knows the best way to export a java-project from Eclipse (Mac) to different platforms?

Not sure aboyt Eclipse specifically, but if you build a jar of your java files and images created (if using through URLs) or add the image folder to the folder the jar will be in (if just pulling them from within a folder), as long as you're not using any platform-specfic code, it should run on any platform that has the JVM installed.

If you need help with getting a jar together (I wouldn't see why you would though, you're WAYYYY farther than I am xD) PM me. Smiley

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »

Not sure aboyt Eclipse specifically, but if you build a jar of your java files and images created (if using through URLs) or add the image folder to the folder the jar will be in (if just pulling them from within a folder), as long as you're not using any platform-specfic code, it should run on any platform that has the JVM installed.

If you need help with getting a jar together (I wouldn't see why you would though, you're WAYYYY farther than I am xD) PM me. Smiley

Thanks! I will try and solve it myself, I just haven't put a lot of effort into it, just tried a couple of times.

Right now I am working with the ability system, and since there is a lot to think about I've decided to start small, meaning I will just implement 6-8 abilities to start with. But I will try to make them of different types so I broaden the possibilities of the system as much as possible.

Here is an image of a pirate-creature which uses the ability "flying".
All sky beasts have this ability to start with, but with a "flying"-orb equipped you can make any creature fly (well that's the idea anyway, still struggling with the implementation =D).

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »

Here is a list of creatures that will be available in v0.5, If I get everything working right it will be easy for me to add more.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »

Got pathfinding working now and fixed an aggro-range for the monsters. Here is a screenshot of a blob with aggro chasing the player with pathfinding.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »

Working on the stats for all the creatures, I havn't fully decided on the system just yet, but I am starting out with this. A description of the system can be found here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22891

I am using excel right now with some simple formulas to calculate the different stats given a level and starting stats for a creature. The "Total" column is the amount of points that I can distribute between the different stats. The colored columns is the stat-value for the desired level which is equal the original stat (column to the left of the colored) times the level of the creature.

I guess there will be mightier creatures later on that have a higher total of points which can be distributed.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »

Here are the things I have done since the last version:

# Engine - Monster aggro
# shadow under creatures
# Battle - Creature check mana before using ability
# Village/Plains/Dungeon battle screen
# Battle Log
# Monster respawn timer
# Creature movement animation
# Save Maps in DB and load from it
# Save monster spawn points
# Area - new Area north of town with dungeon, flowers and winged blobs
# Town Portal Spell
# Gfx - Dungeon tiles - Torches, Wallcurtains, carpet, water
# 8 creatures with stats 3 npcs
# Ability - Power Strike - 2x damage
# Gfx - 8 abilties graphics
# Ability - Resurrect - Back to life once in combat
# Critical hits chance
# Battle - Attack/Use Ability/Use Item on Enemy
# Battle - Attacktypes
# Creature loot/drops ( skeleton bone, Mushroom )
# Engine - Path finding

Left to do this version is just some saving features.

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »

Realised my aggro-system is too simple and wrong.

Now it works like this: if a player walks into a monster's aggro range the monster turns aggro and starts chasing the player. If the monster reaches the player the battle begins.
When the battle starts, the battleview creates instances of the monster so that you can meet up to 5 monsters of the same type.

This is not the way I want it to work, I want it to work like this instead:

If a player walks into a monster's aggro range, the monster starts chasing the player. But all creatures in proximity will also turn aggro and join the battle. This way you can clearly see the risks of engaging a certain monster. And the battles can combine different monsters at the same time.

I am not certain yet if all monsters in proximity should join the battle or only those of the same family.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 02:29:18 AM »

Hi. This project looks neat. I'm not really a big fan of number-crunchy RPG games, but this one looks pretty interesting. Hopefully you can take the pirate/crew idea really far to revitalize the usually dull and lame party systems that RPGs tend to have.

On that note... I do apologize, but I keep reading this game's title as "Breasts & Pirates".  Waaagh!

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 02:43:27 AM »

Hi. This project looks neat. I'm not really a big fan of number-crunchy RPG games, but this one looks pretty interesting. Hopefully you can take the pirate/crew idea really far to revitalize the usually dull and lame party systems that RPGs tend to have.

Yes I have many ideas for this game, but before I can add them I need a good, solid, basic rpg-game to build on.

On that note... I do apologize, but I keep reading this game's title as "Breasts & Pirates".  Waaagh!

Hahaha, haven't thought about it that way, but now I can't stop seeing it =D
I think the name will change under the development period, so if you have any good idea, feel free to post them.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 04:24:46 AM »

Realised my aggro-system is too simple and wrong.

If a player walks into a monster's aggro range, the monster starts chasing the player. But all creatures in proximity will also turn aggro and join the battle. This way you can clearly see the risks of engaging a certain monster. And the battles can combine different monsters at the same time.

I am not certain yet if all monsters in proximity should join the battle or only those of the same family.

Maybe you should only have enemies of a lower or equal level join the aggro chase. This way it's more of a challenge to attack high level monster, because a lot more monsters will join. It also makes sense, because why would a big as monster care about a little monsters business?

skullbox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 07:12:44 AM »

Maybe you should only have enemies of a lower or equal level join the aggro chase. This way it's more of a challenge to attack high level monster, because a lot more monsters will join. It also makes sense, because why would a big as monster care about a little monsters business?

Nice idea! That way low-level players won't risk engaging higher level monsters by mistake.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic